WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting from Arlington to Williamstown

Hi-My boyfriend and I are planning to hike the first two sections of the Long Trail starting August 11. We wanted to leave our car somewhere near the end of section 2 then find a way to get back to Williamstown to start the hike. I have all the guide books but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Hi-My boyfriend and I are planning to hike the first two sections of the Long Trail starting August 11. We wanted to leave our car somewhere near the end of section 2 then find a way to get back to Williamstown to start the hike. I have all the guide books but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
    You could call a shuttle service. I'm not sure where section two of the LT ends (never heard of Arlington, VT) there may be someone in the ATC shuttle list from MA to Rutland to help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

You can also continue your hike another 18 miles to VT 11/30 in Manchester. Park your car with us and we can get you to a bus stop that takes you to Bennington, VT with connections to Williamstown, MA.

Leaving your car at Stratton Arlington Rd for several days opens you up to the slight risk of vandalism.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Unfortunately, neither of our schedules allow for any extra days or else that would be an excellent to hike up to Manchester. I was worried about the vandals if we left our car at Kelly Stand road. After thinking about it, I think we're going to start out in North Adams and leave our car at the Greylock Community Club and then figure out a way back once we get up to Kelly Stand Road.

Not figure it out once we get there of course. Figure it out beforehand.

We've had great luck using shuttles from the ATC site. The extra benefit is usually you get a "tour" of the area from a local that knows history and is usually familiar with the trail. Our last hike from Oct Mtn to Mt. Greylock in MA we hired a great shuttle driver who turned out to be the famous cookie-lady! Have never had trouble with vandals targeting our parked car, but I know it has happened to others. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    You could leave your car at Williamstown Motel (likely for free if you stay there). The owner is very nice. If you stay there, he'd shuttle you to the trailhead (1.5mi E) and from the bus stop in Williamstown (1mi W). From Arlington, there is a bus to Bennigton and on to Williamstown (twice a day on weekdays): http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html. The Arlington-Bennington bus runs on weekends as well, and you could probably hitch from Bennington to Williamstown.

There is also a twice daily Peter Pan bus from Williamstown to NYC (with greyhound connections to Baltimore). This way you wouldn't need to worry about your car, though this would be more expensive and take a bit longer.

I believe the GMC also keeps a list of people willing to shuttle. Give them a call at 802-244-7037 and see if they can offer any help.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Thanks for all your suggestions. We found someone from the ATC to shuttle us!

++ New Posts ++