WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sale Season?

Default Sale Season?

Is there a good time to buy gear retail? I've decided to do a long section or a thru hike next summer and have come up with a preliminary gear list. I'm wondering though if the backpacking retailers have any set times of year for sales like other retail outlets. Big sales in May for winter gear, sleeping bag lines changing over in September or winter closeouts on summer gear that happen only after Christmas for example. Any major sale times that I could look into?

Broadly speaking, in winter you can get good deals on the prior years summer items, and in the summer you can get good deals on prior year winter items. During the shoulder seasons you might encounter some "sales" where you might save a little, but the really killer deals come during the oppossite season to clear out prior year merchandice to make way for the new model stuff that will be coming in a few months later.

Deals are always coming and going, you just have to do research on the gear you want and be patient for a few weeks+ and you can usually find at least a small discount. You can also check sites like steapandcheap, departmentofgoods, reioutlet etc.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Don't forget to check out the sites that have bonus point programs. Especially if you are looking for something new or that never goes on sale. They offer bonus points that you can use to get other needed items for free. I've had good luck with Moontrail.com. I was wanting some sleeping bags that nobody had on sale, but the bonus points were enough to cover a silk bag liner, gaiters, and pack cover that I would otherwise have to pay to get.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

Moosejaw is another one that has a great point system.

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    Don't forget to check out the sites that have bonus point programs. Especially if you are looking for something new or that never goes on sale. They offer bonus points that you can use to get other needed items for free. I've had good luck with Moontrail.com. I was wanting some sleeping bags that nobody had on sale, but the bonus points were enough to cover a silk bag liner, gaiters, and pack cover that I would otherwise have to pay to get.

Hey Jason,

The big sale time-frames for Camping gear are generally found around Memorial Day and Labor Day. If you're looking for the latest and greatest, new product is often released between late January and early April, depending on the manufacturer.

I've been told from a local outfitter that down sleeping bags are going up about 15% Jan 1.

Thanks for the replies. I think I can hold off on the impulse buying until at least Labor Day.

Join Rei and you'll get a 20% coupon at least a few times a year. Another option is to check the used section and ebay

Images

There's a sale going on all the time, so the best thing to do is just get connected with the sites and lurk for a period of time. Try to have a specific idea of what you're looking for and then learn how its typically discounted. For instance, I know I can always get 20% off something at REI, although I might have to wait to do it. I might go ahead and buy something if I see it at greater than 20% off before then. Some brands always have stuff on discount, some its rare to see discounted and even what looks like a minor sale might actually be a good one. I agree that it terms of the "best" sales, they are typically winter ones clearing summer stuff and vice versa. However, there is always something going on somewhere. Steepandcheap and The Clymb are good ones to check in on, especially when you really know what you're looking for.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Seems like many of the cottage industry folks offer deals and discounts in the dead of winter.

Images

You could also check out Sierra Trading post. They can have some good deals.

Also keep an eye in the "for sale/selling used gear" forums (here for example).
    very often you will find new or almost new gear that someone does not like or their situation has changed. The saving can be very substantial over a reduced 'on sale" price.
    Franco

++ New Posts ++