WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cheap post hike accommodations from Killington south

I have had to at least delay my Long Trail thru hike and most likely shorten it to a 8-10 day section hike due to minor knee surgery. I'm now looking at taking 8-9 days from Rt 2 to the Inn @LT starting anywhere between September 20th and October 10th.

I'm looking for a place to get a decent high calorie meal, good cold beer and comfortable place to crash. I know prices accommodations can get very high this time of year in NE because of the tourists but does anyone have any suggestions where to stay?

I'm coming from a full days drive away, but have family roughly halfway home near NYC.

Yea, that is prime "sock-it-to-the-leaf-peeper" season.

Can't recommend anything specfic, but your best deal will likely be a chain motel off the highway at say White River Junction or Burlington and try for a mid week start. Everything else will be quaint B+B's at a premium price.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For places to stay from Kilington south...

Rutland- 12 Tribes Hostel

Manchester Center- Green Mountain House

Bennington- Mostly motels in the $70-$100 range

North Adams or Williamstown- Same as above

Jeff didn't chime in here yet, but I don't think he will be open after Labor Day.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I have had to at least delay my Long Trail thru hike and most likely shorten it to a 8-10 day section hike due to minor knee surgery. I'm now looking at taking 8-9 days from Rt 2 to the Inn @LT starting anywhere between September 20th and October 10th.

I'm looking for a place to get a decent high calorie meal, good cold beer and comfortable place to crash. I know prices accommodations can get very high this time of year in NE because of the tourists but does anyone have any suggestions where to stay?

I'm coming from a full days drive away, but have family roughly halfway home near NYC.
    There is a Peter Pan bus leaving NYC at 9am and getting to Williamstown at 2pm. This would leave you plenty of time to get to Sherman Brook Tentsite (on the AT from North Adams) or even to Seth Warner Shelter. In Williamstown, the Williamstown Motel is about $65 a night, including tax, and the owner would pick you up from the bus and drop you off at the trailhead (he might also allow you to park your car there).

The Inn @ LT allows camping across the road. They have a public restroom on the ground floor, but not showers (except in the rooms, obviously).

Images

Green Mountain House is indeed closed after Labor Day.

Sutton's Place in Manchester will be open and charges $55 for a single. Clean and comfortable but make reservations.

In Bennington there is an unpublished spot next to the Friendly's restaurant. Chris and Arla have been taking in hikers for years on a donation basis.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++