WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
    Images

Neels gap. I was about 12 years old and thats when I decided I wanted to thru-hike it.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

April 21, 2006 - Springer Mtn
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

PenMar, Penn, about 1968. The Boy Scouts in Troop 218 (Kensington, Md) went for a Four State Hike (PA, Md, WVA, VA). I still remember that they had chipped beef on toast for breakfast at one of the camping spots (Greenbrier I think). Yummmmmm
    A different year, like 1970, it poured rain and we bagged it at the top of Lamb's Knoll (which used to be a really nice place to camp).
    Anyway, I love the hike. I still go there to do the four state hike, most recently the week before Thanksgiving 2008. Although since you can cross the bridge to HF it's more difficult to include VA and it's really a three state hike (well, 99% in Md). You used to cross the Sandy Hook bridge and walk into VA along the busy highway for what used to seem like a very long slog into HF ...

Feb 2009. Woody Gap to Amicalola. Rained for 3 days. Best trip of my life. I have since completed all of Georgia and I am now working on North Carolina. Hope to do my thru hike in 2016 when I retire from the military.
    I'd rather be hiking...

Images

I think it was in 1983 when I was twelve years old. My family had moved from Indiana to Elizabethton, TN. My dad took my brother on an afternoon hike up to Laurel Falls. It was my first time hiking. I'm not sure if I knew it was the AT at the time.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Images

The first time I remember hiking the AT was either 1969 or 1970. I was living in Hawthorne NJ, three friends and I notice the AT listed on a road map, we drove up to High Point. We hiked from High Point north, most of the way on blacktop road to the NY/NJ border and hitched a ride back to Highpoint. I have been section hiking since then.

Images

I noticed my typo, we hiked to the NJ/NY border

Roughly 1983 took the train up Mount Washington with my Grandfather, brother, and cousin... That would have been the first time on The Trail... 1st backpacking trip would have been the spring of 1990 during interim week with my High School... Southbound from Mass into CT... Five days...

I'm now starting to plan my section hike of the trail in honor of a co-worker who may not be able to walk the Trail... Going to start at Springer (including the approach trail), and go from there... The trip up Katahdin will be the last... I'll probably jump around in between...

Images

Unicoi Gap - I think I was about 12 or 13, 1979 or 1980 - got me thinking

Journal Entries
    Images

1984 lived down on the Jersey shore and my Boy scout troop stopped at High ponti on our way to camp...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    1984 lived down on the Jersey shore and my Boy scout troop stopped at High ponti on our way to camp...
    Would that BSA camp be Forestburg?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Would that BSA camp be Forestburg?
    Yes I was in troop 22 Altantic Highlands...I read you went to a middle town high school...I was OA also...Qual hill has changed by the way and Monmouth council....I have friends who are still involved...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

1972, my parents took us to October Mountain State Forest near our house in MA.

I was 21 in 2009 and me and my buddy stepped on the trail in North Adams, MA to head north. We actually were on the trail (where it walks through the town) and asked a house-owner to point us in the direction of the trailhead. He gave us a confused look and said, "you are on it!". Within 10 minutes of hiking a massive thunderstorm hit and lasted for the rest of the day.

I was hooked.

I've camped all my life but saw a PBS show on the AT and got the itch. I had a cheap day pack, a hammock, DEET, some fire building skills, and a pot from camping. I had a pair of swim trunks and a coupla t-shirts and my trusty Chacos. I had tobacco, stuff that loosely resembles tobacco and burns much the same way and some alcohol (not for the stove).

Threw it all in my truck in july when i had a week off and drove up to the Springer Mtn parking lot. I arrived at sunset and thought "well your first hike is a nite hike, no biggie" and it really wasn't. It was beautiful.

Made it up to the shelter just as another dude about my age arrived. I thought "Oh crap, he probably knows what he is doing and is going to see right thru my ruse." He was thinking the same thing.

Turns out his first hike was up the approach trail and he had in his pack EXACTLY what i had in my pack. Who woulda known? We ended up stomping to Neels Gap and back and had a grand old time. We are still friends, still keep in touch and still hike together a coupla times a year.

We stayed up just about all night the first night laughing about the irony of it all.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Not sure of the exact date but it was around 12 to 15 years ago in June when I hiked from Clingman's Dome in GSMNP to Hazel Creek to trout fish for 5 days.

Images

Default October 24, 2010. Hot Springs, North Carolina

Took the family for my wife's birthday. Rented a cabin. Got on the trail for a few minutes on the North side of the French Broad River. On the way out of town, jumped out of the car on a whim to run back into Bluff Mountain Outfitter and grabbed two books on hiking it. AWOL on the Appalachian Trail and a technical type book. Decided before we got out of NC, I was going to be back. With a pack. My first trip will be from Cosby Campground to Hot Springs in May. I can barely wait.
    The future does not belong to the faint-hearted.
    It belongs to the brave.
    - Ronald Reagan, January 28, 1986.

1964: Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap.
    1966: Davenport Gap to Fontana Dam.
    'Bout time to hit the AT again.

The first time I technically set foot on the AT was actually on skis, at age 3 or 4, skiing down Bromley Mountain, VT on a trail called Runaround #1.

First time actually hiking on the AT was coming up the same mountain a few years later with our Cub Scout group. I was hooked

Neels Gap to Blood Mtn in 1988. Overnighter with Troop 100 from Lilburn Ga.

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++