WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In the heat I can sweat a LOT. So I carry 2 liters in hydration pack and fill it to the brim any time I can. I also have 1 liter Gatorade bottle that I can fill when I expect it to be dry for a while or just as a backup. One problem with a hydration pack is that it hard to tell just how much water you have left. I hate being 1/2 way up a hill in the sun and run out of water. I know one can go a long way without water but I would rather be safe than sorry. Then again, I have also dumped extra water when I want to lighten my load towards the end of the day. The Gatorade bottle also serves as a bottle to mix powered drinks ins or exchange for a REAL bottle of Gatorade if you can get one. At camp, I have a 4 liter tote bag that I haul to to the water source and fill. From this I pump water for dinner and the next day.

Agree that carrying 2 liters is enough for the AT. For those who like to carry a hydration bag, I suggest going with a 3 liter bag but only fill it with 2 liters of water. That way the bag isn't stretched tight, and will help guard against leaking in you pack.

I typically use a 3L and try the technique of only filling with 2L but I always find myself with more than 2L.

Images

To each their own but I never carried more than 2L in two 1L bottles. Water weighs too much to carry unnessessary amounts. I do carry a 2gal water bag I fill when I get to camp and hang it from a tree. I'll use this for dinner and to top off my bottles in the morning. I prefer bottles so I can see how much I have left at a glance. Had friends that had bladders leak so I think I'll stick with my bottles.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

For thru hikers (DIfferent from section) I would carry two 32oz at least on my daily hike...and at least a 2l container for camp cooking and other needs. Though I have been hearing about PA massive drilling in the areas that are disrupting the water table...not sure how close to A.T if at all near it. All of PA I am going to try and buy my water do to this. Anyone else have concerns over gas drilling and drinking water near these areas...if they exist now or perhaps in the future? Also the Hike I did in Mon National park last weekend was a failure...my water sac bursted and soaked my gear. Anyone else have this issue...yes I made sure it was properly sealed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    For thru hikers (DIfferent from section)
    How are there differences on carring water for thru and sections? Or do you mean day hikes? When I go out for a couple of weeks, I carried water the same way my brother carried on his thru.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Images

Oops, now I see you said day hikes. My bad
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I recently did a large section(550 miles) and started using my 3L camelbak. I kept having water left at days end and quickly got tired of carrying the extra weight. The solution was to either use 2 1L gatoraid bottles or only fill the bladder to 2L since that was all I ever needed in a day. The only time I found myself refilling during the day was when there was lots of climbing on a day with higher temps, and even then water could almost always be found somewhere along the way that day.

One nice thing about keeping an empty bladder and carrying 2 bottles is that most packs have outer pockets for bottles so you don't have the bladder taking up pack space, but when you get to camp the bladder is nice to have with you so you can make a single trip to the afternoon water source. Having the capability to carry 5L of water also opens up the option of moving on to a camp spot for the night which does not have water but might offer a better view or just more solitude than a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Though I have been hearing about PA massive drilling in the areas that are disrupting the water table...not sure how close to A.T if at all near it. All of PA I am going to try and buy my water do to this. Anyone else have concerns over gas drilling and drinking water near these areas...if they exist now or perhaps in the future?
    If your talking about fracking, I don't think you have anything to worry about with spring water. From what I understand, fracking usually only effects deep water tables.

Right now I carry one 32oz bottle and a 1.5L cammelbak and a filter. When I do my SOBO thru this year I am going to carry just two 32oz. bottles and my filter. The cammelbak takes up too much space, has the chance to leak, and doesn't secure well to the outside of my pack. I put my cammelbak on the outside of my pack with its carrying case because its easy to access and if i need to I can carry it comfortably.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

I carry two 1L soda bottles as they fit better in my side pockets than a Gatorade bottle. When I needed extra water for a particular section, I bought a soda and then used the bottle after consuming the contents.

Last year I opted to carry a 3-4L mylar bladder from a Starbucks coffee box for extra water. I don't bother to purify this water as I will either boil it for meals or pour into a bottle and drop iodine tablets.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

I carry my water in my body while hiking. Course the southern Apps are loaded with springs. I don't filter or treat spring water from the source. If downstream from the spring, or with iffy looking water I use iodine, bleach or aqua mira. A plastic cup works for me. I drink throughout the day from sources on or near the trail. In camp I use a 3oz, ten liter bucket.

2 32oz gatoraid bottles and camel up at water sources. sometimes carry a MT 20 oz bottle also just in case

Images

Assuming normal AT conditions:

I drink my fill at water source, then completely fill my 3L platypus. I then drink off the weight of the first liter or so of water over the next twenty minutes of hiking. This means I only carry the extra liter of weight for a little while and am thoroughly hydrated after that with two liters left in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson7fl View Post
    wandering how much water someone typicality carryies on a through hike trying to figure out what size bladder to get and how much water else wise.
    It depends. I tried to bring enough water so that I could get to the next water source without going thirsty. I also didn't want to cart around useless extra water weight. In the south in the spring that was generally 1 liter. But I'd check the book and make sure there was more water. If I was hiking a ridge where there was no access to water through the day, I'd bring 2 liters. In NY in July there was a horrible drought and I typically hiked with 2 liters but I was still looking ahead and there were times where I carried 4 liters.

wandering how much water someone typicality carryies on a through hike trying to figure out what size bladder to get and how much water else wise.
    In terms of buying a water bladder, your pack likely has a pocket designed to hold a water bladder. What size is that pocket? (likely 2 or 3 liters) I'd recommend getting whatever fits your pack. If it's larger than you often need, well you're carrying an extra 1 or 2 oz. Really not that big of a deal. If you find that sometimes you could use more capacity, you can always pick up a Gatorade bottle or even two.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I carry my water in my body while hiking. Course the southern Apps are loaded with springs. I don't filter or treat spring water from the source. If downstream from the spring, or with iffy looking water I use iodine, bleach or aqua mira. A plastic cup works for me. I drink throughout the day from sources on or near the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    Assuming normal AT conditions:

I drink my fill at water source, then completely fill my 3L platypus. I then drink off the weight of the first liter or so of water over the next twenty minutes of hiking. This means I only carry the extra liter of weight for a little while and am thoroughly hydrated after that with two liters left in the bag.
    Here we see polar opposites in the space of three threads, and each system works for the user. It makes one wonder why one bothers to ask advice on an internet forum. Just go out hiking and figure out what works for you. (Then you can give advice on the internet!) If you make a mistake on the AT, you won't die of thirst--that usually takes a couple of days. It ain't exactly a desert out there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Here we see polar opposites in the space of three threads, and each system works for the user. It makes one wonder why one bothers to ask advice on an internet forum. Just go out hiking and figure out what works for you. (Then you can give advice on the internet!) If you make a mistake on the AT, you won't die of thirst--that usually takes a couple of days. It ain't exactly a desert out there.
    Well, yeah, they got answers from both extremes, but I think the majority of folks stated they carry between one and two liters while hiking, and have extra reserve for dry sections or for at camp. This seems to be a very good starting point for a new hiker, and good information for someone who had no idea what they should plan on carrying. As they develop their own opinion on the matter, they can adjust in which ever direction they feel is appropriate.

I think it was a pretty informative thread for the new hiker, without personal experience, so served it's purpose well.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    ...I think it was a pretty informative thread for the new hiker, without personal experience, so served it's purpose well.
    You're right, I was just being snarky.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    In terms of buying a water bladder, your pack likely has a pocket designed to hold a water bladder. What size is that pocket? (likely 2 or 3 liters) I'd recommend getting whatever fits your pack. If it's larger than you often need, well you're carrying an extra 1 or 2 oz. Really not that big of a deal. If you find that sometimes you could use more capacity, you can always pick up a Gatorade bottle or even two.
    Personally, I dont like doint this. It takes up space in the pack, your body temp warms the water, and its hard access/fill (unless you use a filter that pumps down the hose), and if the bladder leaks it leaks on everything in your pack. I tend to strap it to the outside of my pack with its pack so I can get to it easy, carry it to water sources if need be, or use it for a day hike. I am going to try something new this year and ditch the bladder all together.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

...at first was thinking of bringing 3 liter camel back and 2 Gatorade bottles. now i think i will just get a 2 liter hydration pack and then something for camp and stuff thanks again to all the input.
    My husband bought a 3liter bladder because he hikes with scouts and wanted to be sure to have plenty of water in case someone needed it. He found that the 3 liter is a pain to get into the bladder pocket of his pack, and it presents a challenge to getting his pack weight balanced.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++