WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

You'll figure it out as you go. I use a 3-liter Platypus bag in my pack, and a couple of soda bottles as backup. Learning how water much to carry at any given moment is probably one of the major mental challenges you'll face on the trail. As a general rule, I tank up when I'm about to climb up to a long ridgeline -- water is usually found "down low" and not on the ridgeline. The maps and guides will tell you where water might be found. Sometimes the shelter registers and other hikers will have further advice. Another tip -- "camel up" (fill your belly) where you do find good water.

I carry a 10 liter Dromedary bag, and a 2 liter camelback. The 10 liter stays empty and folded unless I want a wilderness shower. Normally before the rare town visit. I like staying in the woods for extended days (10+) :-)

Journal Entries

(2) 700 ml smart water bottles that I fill up at will. (1) 2 liter platy for camp.
    hikers gonna hike

This is great info. I have purchased 2 3-liter bladders and was fully intent on humping them with the rest of my gear, which is how we did it in the Army. Back then I would typically carry 2x 1-quart canteens, a 2-quart canteen, and a 3L bladder. Since I live in South Texas and we are in a perpetual drought, I may carry both bladders on my hikes down here, but with the usual ample water sources on the AT, that decision definitely can be modified.

The most I would carry would be 2 liters. Usually only 1 liter if I was encountering multiple water sources throughout the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

This summer I had a 3 L that I would fill depending on how far and reliable the next water source was and I also had a 1L soft Platy with some Gatorade flavoring.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++