WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Maybe you have already seen this small video that was NOT taken on the AT, but since there seems to be so much difficulty in learning exactly what these dangerous cats look like, I am posting the link:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/o...Tree/139883973.

Notice the distinctive length of the tail, hardly that of a bobcat or even a large house cat.

--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I saw one on the PCT near Idlwyld, actually coming down the side trail into town. Devils something. I went to a talk here in VT about Catamount sightings. Many people say they saw them but no pictures that pass muster. The officials say there's not a resident population or zoo animal or some moron freed them to the wild. The guy giving the talk had many pictures but none from VT. So I just think he wants us to believe. It's tough to say if they're here when if you find scat or fur the government types have already decide it escaped from a Zoo . What zoo, they must be broke by now.

About pictures. On the trail if you have a digital camera, and it's off because you are preserving batteries, then by the time it turns on and is ready to shoot the lion or bear or even porcupine is long gone. My point and shoot disposable 27 picture Kodak at least got the shot off. Poor Kodak.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

One was hit in Connecticut last June as well.

I would have to think that there would be dead colts, dear or coyotees hanging in trees in Mt Rogers or half buried. I have no dought that you saw one.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    One was hit in Connecticut last June as well.
    Yup, that happened not too far from where I live. That one was tracked back to the Midwest using DNA testing of the fur and scat it dropped. It's, actually a rather impressive story and became the farthest know migration made by a mountain lion.

As for me, I'll believe they're back once someone shows me proof.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

While hiking the AT in Vermont last July I met a young lady from California named Bambi who was hiking from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin. Jokingly I asked why she came all the way East to hike, that surely they had nice trails in California. Bambi said she would not hike in California because of the cougars and then told me the story of the woman mountain bike rider who was attacked and almost lost her face to a cougar. Someone mentioned the New England sighting and we never saw Bambi again.

Didn't the one they found on the east coast come from the West Coast I remember hearing about it on tv they said the Dna results came back that the cat originated from the Western United states

Guess I should have read it all its already been mentioned

Images

Awesome for you! I saw one in Acadia NP on the carriage trail on Day Mountain a bit above the horse stables about 7 years ago. I knew they weren't supposed to be there but I saw what I saw. They are mysterious creatures!

Images

story of the woman mountain bike rider who was attacked and almost lost her face to a cougar
    This happened in 1993/94 at Whiting Ranch Wildernes Park in Sothern Ca. Mt Lion killed one womem Mt Biker and almost killed the second women. Nearby hikers were able to rescue the second women. I use to hike/bike/run there all the time when I lived in Southern Cal and this happened shortly after I move back east. When I saw the pictures of where the attack occured I knew the loaction all to well. I believe about 3 people have been killed by Mt Lions in southern Cal.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

According to the Pa. Game Comm. there are no cougars ( mountain lions ) in Pa. They are either someone's pets or escape from a zoo. Let's get real. Not many people keep cougars as pets and a zoo escape would be publicized. I've see 3 in 10 years, the last being a youngin. Rumors have it that the Game Comm. brought them into Pa. to control the deer population. Years ago, they brought in coyotes. Keep you camera handy, they're here.
    Just a trail grunt in Pennsyl-tucky

People do keep cougars and others exotics as pets. There have been cases of people keeping big cats in NYC apartments! So a released or escaped pet cougar is certainly possible.
    There are very knowledgeable hikers out there with tremendous experience and years of time in the woods. Sounds like V is one of them and I envy him for this experience. I have always hoped to see a bobcat in the wild let alone a cougar. Unfortunately you set yourself up for the people who try to put you down no matter what you post. I know experienced woodsmen who claim to have a cougar in the early morning near Waywayanda in NJ. I don't immediately dismiss this claim and put a good degree of validity to him.

In an earlier life I was a helicopter pilot and saw a Florida Panther on 2 occasions, one south east of Orlando on the St Johns river and another just south of Green Swamp near Lakeland. Florida Game Commission assured me I was wrong and that they only existed in extreme south Florida. Fifteen years later they finally acknowledged that they are now in central Florida. Big cats are so recluse that I suspect they could be in an area for many years without anyone sighting them. The rarity of sightings on the AT indicate to me that they have not lost their fear of humans and that means an attack would be very highly unlikely.

They definitely do exist in the Appalachians. I live in NW corner of NC and I've personally seen mountain lines at least a half dozen times. Including a mother with a baby, clearly from about 150 yards, watched them for about 2 minutes on the other side of a field. The local game warden says that even though the state says they don't exist, they do, and he's seen them personally. Same with wolves (I haven't seen them, but a few of my hunting buddies have seen them DEEP in the mountains, as has the game warden)

Is it raining yet?
    Images

In the 21st Century, a pic won't even do anymore: Photoshop is king.

Entirely possible the guy saw a mtn lion.....
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    In the 21st Century, a pic won't even do anymore: Photoshop is king.

Entirely possible the guy saw a mtn lion.....
    Unfortunately you are correct and the only way to prove it would have been if I had been hiking with a .30-06 and killed it.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by evo8dude View Post
    a few of my hunting buddies have seen them DEEP in the mountains, as has the game warden)
    Wow! That is a rare sighting. Hunters are rarely found more than a few hundred yards from their vehicles. Only seldom can they be seen deep in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Wow! That is a rare sighting. Hunters are rarely found more than a few hundred yards from their vehicles. Only seldom can they be seen deep in the woods.
    That isn't true, but thanks for showing your ignorance.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

^---I'm pretty sure he was making a joke sir.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sarcasm is doled out free here at WB..... Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++