WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sleeping pad

Default Sleeping pad

I'm 6'02" and 245lbs. Will a Thermarest Trail Pro suffice?

Yes, and but it is likely overkill. Based on a pad poll a few months ago, most people on this forum have a lighter pad than that. That doesn't mean the trail pro isn't right for you, just know that you are trading a bit of comfort sleeping for a pound on your back while you are walking.

I hear great things about the neo air, it is #2 on my list of gear upgrades once I get a nano-puff.

Like Leanthree said, the trailppro is a bit heavy. I went with the Big Agnes insulated aircore (from a prolite 3) and am very happy with it. And Leanthree, I switched from a fleece outer layer to a Nano Puff last year. It's GREAT. Mark S.

How much is the NEO AIR or Puff, I've got $85-90 to spend max.

Images

I have a Prolite 4 (which I think is called the Prolite Plus now.) It's fine for me at 6-2 210.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Big Agnes inflatable pads had a bad run of leaky seams back in 2009. Nearly impossible to repair. They may have improved since.

I carried a 3/4 length Prolite-3 and never had any problems (always used a ground cover underneath) but have since switched to the bombproof Ridge Rest. Lighter and more R-value.

Images

[QUOTE=Spokes;1191046]Big Agnes inflatable pads had a bad run of leaky seams back in 2009. Nearly impossible to repair. They may have improved since.

I don't think they have. I bought one in April of this year and it started leaking after 12 days. Found a couple of tiny pinhole leaks which were patched (to no avail) Big Agnes said they would send me a replacement, which they have not done yet. Searching on the web I can't find one anywhere. (BA Insulated Air Core Mummy). I met a few other hikers this year who had the same problem with this pad.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Images

I started using my Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Elite AC when I weighed a little less than you. It's regular length, 20" wide, 2.5" thick, insulated and mine only weighs 10 3/4 ounces. I'm a side sleeper so sometimes my hip would hit the ground, especially if I set up on a bumpy site, and that happened often because I'm not picky about flat campsites. I've used mine for a few weeks in the Sierras and like the pad so far and would buy it again. It's currently $80 on Amazon, but they had a sale on it a few months ago for about $60.

At that size you may want to look at a larger pad like a BA IAC XL or an Exped DLX-I have the downmat 9. I have broad shoulders so anytime I am not zipped into my bag on a standard 20" pad my arms would be on the ground. the 78x25 pads did the trick. I am mostly in a Hammock now, and as for the BA pads leaking, I have had mine for 4 years with not a leak and the exped for 3, no leaks for either of my wifes either. good luck.

++ New Posts ++