WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    If thistent was hot, why didn't you open the door vent?
    Oh man--never thought of that!!! Wonder if it's too late to get it back from Amazon...

j/k

Hot was just one of it's features I wasn't cool with. Too small as far as 'useable' space is concerned, and no vestibule, so I had no place to stash boots and pack. For only fifty bucks more, I got a much better tent.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Virginia Tortoise

I agree in that I do like the vestibule on the BA Seedhouse SL1. It is nice to leave your boots outside. And they do stay dry in the vestibule.

Back in the day, I (and a lot of others) bought a candle lantern. Lot of candle lanterns started at Springer, I don't think any of them make it K.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Back in the day, I (and a lot of others) bought a candle lantern. Lot of candle lanterns started at Springer, I don't think any of them make it K.
    The days do get longer. One hardly uses a headlamp by June.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Its a tie between a pair of garmont boots that didnt last a week backpacking in the Whites, and a coffee press that seemed like a good idea, but was impossible to clean on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    For me I have to say my hammock tent. After 5 years of trying to get a good nights sleep I finally gave up and sold it. Back to the ground I go!
    I guess you didn't use a Hennessy hammock!

Images

Actually I used the HH backpacker ultralight a-sym. Also had the maccat deluxe cat cut tarp and JRB nest and no snievler quilts. Pretty sweet setup all in all. I just could not get a full nights sleep. Not knocking hammockers at all, I was once one myself. Just not for me after many many many nights during all four seasons and during all types of weather. I hung high up on ridges, next to streams, inside shelters and in my own back yard. I personally sleep way better in my tent...I know it sounds foreign to most hammockers, but such is life.
    skinny d

I bought some cheap esbit. I found the cheapest esbit on the internet. I used up all my matches the first night trying to light one cube. I hiked out an extra 11 miles to a store to purchase two lighters. One lighter for each night's meal. Cheap esbit is bad esbit, apparently.

Another bad purchase was the previously-mentioned Lady J. One rule to any funnel device is that the outflow must exceed the inflow to prevent spill-over. I've since made my own device from a wishbone salad dressing bottle. The outflow is much more generous.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Ok, it's Friday afternoon, I've lost all motivation to work, and the clock seems to be going backwards. I've read and re-read almost all of the topics of interest here, and now I'm bored.

So I thought I'd start a discussion that is sure to stir up some colorful answers. Not only that, I'm sure it would be a good source of info.

Anyhow, the question is, What is the absolute worst piece of gear you ever bought, and what happened that made you feel like a chump for getting it?

I'll go first, since I brought it up. I'm relatively new at this whole backpacking thing, and while visions of a thru-hike dance in my head, I've been slowly pushing the car-camping gear to the back of the storage shed, and now I'm filling up the closet with new backpacking gear. I've got the basics, but the dumbest move I've made so far was buying a Eureka Backcountry 1 tent.

Big mistake. I was a price shopper and got it from Amazon for like $130, and all of the reviews were pretty good. But that eight-foot length was not even close to being usable length, and with the fly on, it was a damn oven. I realized that I'm a side sleeper that first night, and it was just too narrow for me. Also, it had no vestibule. I didn't think it would be a problem at all, except when I actually *used* it and realized that I had no place to put my pack or my boots. Duh.

Luckily, Amazon has a generous return policy, so after that one night, I rolled it up and shipped it back, getting a full refund. A few weeks ago, I took advantage of the sale at REI and grabbed one of their Quarterdome T2 tents, and couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I'm taking it out into the woods two, maybe three times over the course of the next month. Probably find some other piece of gear I don't like while I'm out there, too...
    Do you get PAID for sitting in that BOX?People like YOU,and ALL that respond must love to ROB your boss on his time.JUST SAD.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Do you get PAID for sitting in that BOX?People like YOU,and ALL that respond must love to ROB your boss on his time.JUST SAD.
    What a pathetic post.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Sounds like someone is jealous of efficient workers who finish their work early?

Noob

Sounds like a douche more than anything.

Images

hes p****d off because he must have fired his employees after catching them on WB, then found out they're all on the AT with one state left to go.

Images

I don't buy any 'real' gear without thoroughly researching it first, so I don't really have any gear-related horror stories. I do, however, regret my purchase of 3 pairs of Smartwool socks. They were midlength crews that practically cut off my lower calf and ankle circulation. Very unpleasant and itchy. Switched to my beloved Darn Tough socks and will never go back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Biggest pure mistake on item bought specficly for backpacking was a Sterno Stove, years ago, smelly and messy. Longest hold out before I switched was the 9 pound external I had for over 20 years, just assumed the internals would never ride correctly on someone my age, plus I was used to the weight. Another silly hold out was packing an Airforce Survival knife, was heavy, had it's own stone. Was way over kill when a 2 inch knife will do. That was a 5 year mistake. On the Backcountry 1, I have 2, the new ones work better because the fly and door have been changed, the old ones required alot of attention staking out correctly, as in getting the fly right. Now I just loan it out as necessary. Also I've bought more then one sleeping bag that just plain sucked.
    Last edited by lemon b; 08-30-2011 at 14:13.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paistes5 View Post
    Is it the Apex 2XT? I take it when I go with the girlfriend. Tons of room but yes a little heavy. I took it on a solo and swore I'd never carry it again. Two days later I got a BA Lynx Pass for my solos but will keep the Eureka when the girlfriend goes again.
    Sorry for the delay in responding, my Eureka is a Pinnacle Pass 2 XTA. (Don't think they make it anymore). I'm not sure if Eureka makes anything of this weight and price anymore, but it was a great deal for a two person tent and was fairly competitive with tents that cost two or three times as much.

Good choice getting the 1 person tent though, I'd never haul my Eureka around if I were hiking solo.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++