WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default water bottles on pack

i have an osprey ariel 60. it has two side pockets (supposedly to hold water bottles). i use gatorade bottles, and find those pockets a bit on the tight side, and not very accessible when wearing my pack. i see some people have their bottles attached to their hipbelts, and some on their pack straps near their chest. i've used the o.r. holder on my hipbelt before, but don't like the end of the bottle hitting my legs. is there some other gadget or creative way to attach these two bottles to my pack straps? any other ideas?

ACH05

Quote Originally Posted by denise
    i have an osprey ariel 60. it has two side pockets (supposedly to hold water bottles). i use gatorade bottles, and find those pockets a bit on the tight side, and not very accessible when wearing my pack. i see some people have their bottles attached to their hipbelts, and some on their pack straps near their chest. i've used the o.r. holder on my hipbelt before, but don't like the end of the bottle hitting my legs. is there some other gadget or creative way to attach these two bottles to my pack straps? any other ideas?
    Denise,

I switched to a 1 liter Aquafina bottle. Because of its smaller diameter, it fits the pocket better.

By putting the water on your pack, you move your center of gravity behind you and add weight - leveraging you further back. I used to do the same thing.

There are any number of ways to carry water closer or less leveraged. Platypus up in the top pocket or between pocket and main compartment; bottles hung on the shoulder straps; wet ribs, fanny/belly packs; etc.I like to keep water as compressed as possible to avoid sloshing and shifting weight around, hence would only carry a bottle attached to my chest somehow.

i use a dana design bottle rib it attaches on the bottom of your pack strap and rides just above your hipbelt and under your ribs. it keeps the bottle from bumping off your legs works well for me. jigsaw

I used gatoraide bottles attached to the shoulder straps with stretch cord. Worked very well. Hung just below shoulder level.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rumbler
    I used gatoraide bottles attached to the shoulder straps with stretch cord. Worked very well. Hung just below shoulder level.
    =========================
    I stole Rumblers idea during my 2003 thru-hike and it worked like a charm.

Thanks Rumbler !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I attached a Nalgene with a carabeaner to my shoulder strap. It rested at my hip and didn't knock my leg or arm at all while I walked. Plus it was easy to reach.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I used to use the Dana Design Wet Rib, but I recently switched over to placing one of my inverted Nalgene Canteens (1L flexible) in a side pocket attached to the Nalgene Tube and Bite Valve, saving me some weight while allowing me to easily drink while I walk. I like this setup a lot more than an interior bladder, and it gives me a little more flexibility.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Use 2 small bungee cords placed 3 to 4 inches apart on your shoulder straps. My wife and I use the sip spout gatorade bottles which we replace every few weeks. My father in law taught her this technique, not sure who he learned it from. Good luck.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wacocelt
    Use 2 small bungee cords placed 3 to 4 inches apart on your shoulder straps. My wife and I use the sip spout gatorade bottles which we replace every few weeks. My father in law taught her this technique, not sure who he learned it from. Good luck.
    He learned it on his PCT thru-hike in 2001... showed it to me later that year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by denise
    The pockets have openings towards the fronts as well as the tops. Try those. Thatg's how I do it on my Aether 60, and it works well. I can drink and walk simultaneously. (woowoo! Neat trick. )

As an aside, the Arial and the Aether are the male and female equivalent.

++ New Posts ++