WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Last month I hiked the Vermont AT section that Driver8 recommended, only going North from N. Adams MA. It's about 3.5 miles north to the MA/VT border, then you're in Green Mountain National Forest (VT) the rest of the hike. It would be beautiful in October. Cool at night. You'll have to figure your own mileage as to how many total miles you want to hike in the 5 days (I'm 10-12 mile a day guy myself). There are several access roads in that stretch. I had great camp sites at Consultation Peak (bring water), Porcupine Lookout (bring water) and Kid Gore Shelter (has good water).
    virgil

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I would rather assume they are underexperienced than over experienced. Many folks underestimate the weather in Northern NE in October. There are usually a spate of rescues in October in the whites due to underequipped hikers who arent equipped for the cold. ...
    The OP wasn't talking about the Whites, but rather VT and Mass.

Fass1: Grayson or Mass/VT would be beautiful, either one. The foliage will be better in New England in early October, better in VA the further you go into October. You should be prepared for cold nights, especially, in either place. Even to cover 40 miles of Appalachian Trail in five days in either place, you want to be in pretty good shape, b/c trail is much harder than the flat stuff you experience, mostly, walking outside in Houston. If a 10 mile walk or run in Houston is easy for you on a warm to hot day and if you are mildly obese or better, you s/b OK.

Work hard to keep your pack weight to a minimum. There's plenty of good brains here to pick about that. Try walking lots of stairs or a parking garage before you go. It'll help with prepping for climbing.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

All the planning in the world on WB will not compensate for the experience you would need in smokies or whites...novice backpackers (week long backpacking on MTS , PCT, ?) its alot of difference week long treks at altitude and cold temps versus flat areas with several road crossings along the way....or novice backpackers that day hike only? I thought I had alot of experience backpacking til I met my match climbing outta 4.5m Fontana (smokies) recently to find limited water supplies and three bears greeting me at shelter that was unexpectedly closing because of bear activity...teehee.

OP..keep in mind 10 miles along AT is more like 20 in Texas or Floridas terrain. I vote SNP also..Grayson Highlands is the best for first time out!

Images

Shenandoah might be your best bet. You're in a national park there, busy and well tended, relatively easy hiking, and it will be a bit warmer than New England. Plus tons of beautiful overlooks and very nice side trails, so I hear. I've heard Grayson can be quite tough.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++