WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Feral Hogs in the GSMNP: FYI

Back in march I had an encounter with a very large hog on the trail, West Prong Branch, where he became very agitated and charged me.

I wrote the park to report the incident and to get a reading on the use of firearms to protect life and limb. I was armed at the time but was so deep in my pack to be of no use. Here is the response I received from the Chief Ranger from the GSMNP:

(He gave me permission to quote him directly)

"Your message was forwarded to me for a response. The technical answer to your question concerning the use of a firearm would depend upon the specific circumstances relating to the incident itself; i.e. was use of a firearm necessary to prevent physical harm to oneself or others? If the answer is "yes," then you would have a good legal defense. Experience has shown, though, that such instances would be extremely rare. I discussed this issue with our head of our Wildlife Management Branch, who has spent his career managing--among other animals--wild hogs in the park. He advised that in his 20 years here we have never had anyone seriously injured by a wild hog. Out of the many millions of people who hike in the park each year, he could think of only two cases in 20 years where visitors were knocked down by hogs. In both instances, the hog was running down the trail and our biologists believe they unknowingly ran into visitors on the trail. He knows of only one case where a female hog chased a boy to protect her piglet. The hog bruised the foot of the boy. As you can see your odds of becoming injured by a wild hog is extraordinary low. If, after your close encounter, you would still feel more comfortable with an added layer of protection, we suggest you carry a bear spray repellent. It is much lighter than a firearm, effective, and you won't have to worry about resisting the urge to use the firearm in a situation where an inadequate justification exists for its use. I hope this addresses your concern. Thank you for seeking our guidance and I hope that you continue to enjoy your visits to the park and add on to your long and impressive record of hiking in the park."

Images

This Spring I came across an entire family of wild hogs on the BMT/MTS trail about 2 miles west of campsite 52. The mother Hog was a giant and when she saw me, she let out a loud grunt and her face suddenly looked very distressed. I immediately looked for a rock but saw none. I was ready to drop the pack and run for a tree. Fortunately, the mother and about 20 piglets headed down the gulley and up the other side. The line of little pigs kept going and going. It was interesting and a bit scary. I think I'd rather see a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    (quoting the Chief Ranger): "then you would have a good legal defense"
    In Other Words: You would be charged and tried in court, and after spending 10 to 15 thousand bucks on a legal team, you might, maybe, get out of it.

Virginia Tortoise

They used to warn about feral hogs in GSMNP in the Companion but no longer do. The History channel had a special on them awhile back. If they gore you in the leg, they could break an artery and you could bleed to death. So I think that would justify shooting one since you can now bring a concealed weapon into a national park.

Images

Most handguns a hiker would carry would only make a feral hog mad unless you are a perfect shot (unlikely if being charged) or very lucky.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

I prefer PGC's policy since they aren't wildlife, they're just feral hogs. Up here, our wildlife biologists expend a couple of rounds and resume their responsibilities related to managing wildlife.

They are rampant here in north GA. Not sure what the answer is? They eat everything that the whitetail and other species eat, does that make them less deserving??? Not sure.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

Well, they do tear up the trails (rooting) and cause erosion, plus each liter consists of about 12 to 18. The multiply very fast and eat a lot.

This is another one of those questions people ask here that make me say "Huh???
    Unless you had a bunch of people around how would anyone know you shot the damn thing?
    Common sense says that if a feral pig or even a raccoon were to become aggressive, you shoot it if you have your weapon accessible.
    I genuinely dont care what the Ranger says; I'll take my chances with the law on that one and bet they will not choose to prosecute.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I genuinely dont care what the Ranger says; I'll take my chances with the law on that one and bet they will not choose to prosecute.
    That's got to be one of the most stupid posts I've seen in more than 5 years of reading this drivel. I suggest you go to GSMNP today and start shooting. Send them an email and let them know where to find you.

...Out of the many millions of people who hike in the park each year, he could think of only two cases in 20 years where visitors were knocked down by hogs...
    They always confuse the total number of visitors with total number of hikers.

Images

Maybe he wasn't referring to the nose-thumbing through hikers who are above reproach and can do no harm. I'd really like to know how many through hikers of all kinds use GSMNP, but it would probably take a Freedom of Information Act request to get those numbers.

My WhiteBlaze.net time in the last several days has driven my sarcasm to a level never achieved in more than 50 years. If this thread weren't about feral hogs, I'd think it's time for a break.

I am seeing signs of more posts originating from Pennsylvania. Maybe the time has come when I could stand down and see what develops.
    Last edited by emerald; 08-22-2011 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    That's got to be one of the most stupid posts I've seen in more than 5 years of reading this drivel. I suggest you go to GSMNP today and start shooting. Send them an email and let them know where to find you.
    Hmmm, after reading my post I think I see what emerald is trying to say and yeah, it does look like I'm on the short school bus with that comment.
    What I "intended" my post to say was that "If" I were to be charged by a feral hog and "if" I were to shoot the feral hog and "if" someone were to observe my shooting the feral hog and report me to a Ranger I would rather deal with the law and the consequences of breaking the law as opposed to being chased, gored or whatever by the feral hog.

I wasn't referring to just thru-hikers either. I don't know the number of hikers and neither do you, but common sense tells me that it's not in the millions. Although I can see this now going into the area of definition of a "hiker".

But it's a very relevant point. If there were really only two attacks (that were not really attacks) in 20 years with potentially millions of chances (i.e. millions of hikers) each of those 20 years than that must mean that these hogs are harmless. But if there's only, say 20,000 hikers each year...

It does raise an interesting question of how many hikers the park really sees. But I don't feel like first getting into a discussion of how to define a hiker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I see what emerald is trying to say and yeah, it does look like I'm on the short school bus with that comment.
    I knew you were smarter than you appeared to be. Good for all of us.
    Last edited by emerald; 08-22-2011 at 17:51.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Blah, blah, blah... these hogs are harmless.
    Maybe to hikers. Otherwise, I say BS.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Maybe to hikers. Otherwise, I say BS.
    I'm NOT saying they're harmless; I'd be much more wary around a hog than a bear. It's the "statistics" that the...ahh, forget it I'm sick of breakin' things down for you...

Images

I understood you perfectly and you know it.

Please don't go off on tangents with this. This was a personal message from the Chief Ranger and I was impressed. He was encouraging me to use non lethal methods. When I wrote him back I thanked him for not taking an anti gun stand. I can understand his hesitation because people react differently under stress.

I have changed calibers and gone to solid copper bullets and have made the handgun accessible while hiking in a concealed fashion. I will consider the bear spray but when hiking with grand kids it changes the equation.

In summary, I think the park personnel want to know of encounters. A little research shows they have killed a large number of the hogs but they do breed so fast and they are a menace in more places than just the park. There are far more day hikers there than thru on any given day.

Back in march I had an encounter with a very large hog on the trail, West Prong Branch, where he became very agitated and charged me.

I wrote the park to report the incident and to get a reading on the use of firearms to protect life and limb. I was armed at the time but was so deep in my pack to be of no use. Here is the response I received from the Chief Ranger from the GSMNP:
    Florida is invaded by feral pigs and they are finally allowing no limit licensed hunts in most management areas. BUT the OP was about shooting one in GSMNP.

First I don't understand why you would carry a concealed firearm that you can't get to, that could be another long thread.

Now that National Parks allow carry with permit I won't fight that issue. What the ranger was trying to say was yes you can carry, but that it also means you can't shoot unless it is for protection.
    This is to prevent someone like me from going hog hunting in a National Park and then claiming it was self defense if I get caught shooting one, or some bird-brain from just killing bears and snakes if he doesn't like them. That particular park already has extreme poacher problems and law enforcement would have to treat every shot heard or reported as a possible game violation of native animals.
    The park has done a lousy job of controlling the hog population, and needs to work with surrounding state and federal wildlife managers to eradicate them. That doesn't mean I want someone going down a trail shooting them.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++