WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Towns

Default Trail Towns

Which Trail Town is the best to relocate to?

Damascus.........

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Hanover, NH
    this ain't the humor forum

Images

Waynesboro,Va . Lots of folks work in nearby Stuarts Draft.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Serious response. Actually, a few years ago Money Magazine ranked Hanover as the 2nd best place to live in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. For a weeks vacation, yeah, I'd head to Damascus. But for a place to live the other 51 weeks in a year, a place where you actually get a job, have access to medical care, and enjoy the vitality that a college town offers, then there is no question that Hanover is a great trail town to put down roots. Thats my opinion; before this thread is ended probably every trail town will be mentioned by someone.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...oneymag/2.html

Images

Bennington, VT, Manchester Center, VT, Norwich, VT, Hanover, NH, Franconia, NH
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Serious response. Actually, a few years ago Money Magazine ranked Hanover as the 2nd best place to live in the ENTIRE COUNTRY.
    On the list again, #6 for 2011. It isn't a cheap place to live though. You have to get away a few miles from Hanover and Norwich (VT) and you can find some reasonably priced housing.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    On the list again, #6 for 2011.
    I didn't know that; thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to go thru my unread magazine stack and find my September issue.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

..and number #1 is nearby Louisville, CO
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0846355.html

The photo of the girl at the fence is the open space I bike when I well, bike to work (the office building abuts the open space).

I liCool little downtown, laid back.. it is NOT a mountain town (despite what the article states) The Boulder foothills are about a 15 minute drive away; the mountains about an hour (including access to the CDT!).

Last edited by Mags; 08-22-2011 at 22:28.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I don't know how close to the AT a town has to be to be considered a "trail town", but Charlottesville gets my vote. Its about 30 miles from the AT and has all the advantages of a college town previously listed for Hanover. It has also been listed as a "best" place to live, retire etc. (see link below) Unlike Hanover, winter doesn't last too long and the town isn't defined by the school; there are more alternatives for folks that don't care for the academic scene. They're both great spots and I've spent a lot of time in both, but I'll go with Virginia. http://www.charlottesville.org/index.aspx?page=158

Images

Several of my favorite towns in Vermont and the Catskills have been destroyed or badly damaged by the Hurricane Irene flooding. Bennington, Brattleboro and (I think) Manchester, VT have all been damaged. I was thinking of moving to the Brattleboro area (not far to the AT), but now I'll wait to see if the businesses and restaurants that make it a fun place can recover.

Several towns that I know well along rte 23 in the northern Catskills have had their downtown areas destroyed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Several of my favorite towns in Vermont and the Catskills have been destroyed or badly damaged by the Hurricane Irene flooding. Bennington, Brattleboro and (I think) Manchester, VT have all been damaged. I was thinking of moving to the Brattleboro area (not far to the AT), but now I'll wait to see if the businesses and restaurants that make it a fun place can recover.
    Plenty of damage to all Vermont towns you mentioned. They will all bounce back quickly. Some road repairs may take a little longer.

I see lots of neighbors helping neighbors. There is a terrrific energy around town with most everyone lending a hand where it is needed.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

no looting either....

Journal Entries
    Images

Hot Springs seems like a cool little town!! Asheville is very nearby??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Farmington is a great town if you like Maine. Im 45 minutes from Rangeley and 45 minutes from Stratton and 45 minutes from interstate 95. Its a college town but a small town feel IMO. I have never had a problem findng work. I came here in 2002 from NH and I will unlikely move back.
    skinny d

If you want to move to Bennington, VT, you could have your own hostel. The vortex is for sale. It has never been an "official" hostel but so far, I've hosted over 600 hikers this year alone. Or, I am also seeking roomies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Retirement has to come first. Two that I'm thinking about are Cheshire, Ma & Rangley, Maine. Both towns make me feel right at home.

It would help if you described your circumstances. The best place to relocate is going to vary significantly for an 18 year old, a college graduate, someone who has to work for a living, or a retiree.

There is also the climate factor, if you like four seasons and have activities that you can do out in the snow, then Northern NE can be factored in. If you dont like snow, then scratch everything in New England.

The other issue is do you want to be out in the wilderness or in a town with facilities and services? There are lots of little towns on the AT in ME, NH and VT that are great to live in but 60 to 100 miles away from civilization (including a good grocery store).

I do like the whites as I am 90 miles to an airport and the Maine coast while being surrounded by the national forest.

One thing to take into account if you are serious is property taxes in New England. Each state has its system but if you are not careful, you will be spending significant dollars every year paying prpoerty taxes. If you want a large block of property, NH has about the best deal as long as you steer clear of towns with schools. If you dont mind remote, some areas of northern NH have no net property taxes, add in no state income tax and no sales tax and that cuts out the yearly expenses although its offset by more gas costs as you are driving everywhere.

VT has some incentives for ownership of larg parcels, but in order to get them you ahve to actively manage the properties which is another outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Damascus.........
    I have to agree on this one. Damascus is one cool town. I lived in Abingdon for 2 years (about 10 miles away from Damascus). That town is laid back. Just remember to get out of there the first weekend after mother's day. Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++