WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Default Hurricane Irene

With Hurricane Irene expected to hit this part of the country by the weekend, has anyone ever been caught on the trail by a hurricane or other substantial storm? If so, what did you do to survive the horrible weather?

I was gonna backpack in Indiana during one hurricane (became just a strong storm by then) as it crossed over, just for the fun of it. REALLY glad I didn't . When I went back to that area a couple weeks later the number of blowdowns was amazing. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there when all those trees were falling......yikes.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I've been caught in the reminents of two hurricans, which are tropical storms when they hit New England.

First one was in the 100 mile wilderness. Heavy rain started about noon and lasted until about noon the next day. Thankfully, we were in a relatively low and flat section the wilderness and not too far from a shelter when the storm hit big time. Rain was so hard on the tin roof right above our heads, could not talk without shouting into each others ears. We watched a small stream in front of the shelter rise at least 2 feet in a couple of hours before it got dark. It was really raging the next morning. We waited out the storm until it started to clear towards noon the next day to move on.

The second time was a storm also named Irene, maybe 10 years ago while hiking the nothern end of the Long Trail. Once again, heavy rain started mid day and lasted well into the next. This time I happened to spend the night at the last cabin on the LT which still had a wood stove and was able to dry out nicely.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I wish it would turn west, and maybe hit Texas between Brownsville and Corpus.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I've never been hiking in a hurricane, I'm adding myself to the thread so I may see future posts as I'm planning to climb Mt Katadin on Monday and spent all week until labor day out there...bah

Images

Default Hurricane Irene information

Google Crisis Response provides a map of the expected storm's track and links to official information including NOAA's National Hurricane Center website.

NWS Mt. Holly, NJ Watches, Warnings & Advisories

NWS Point Forecast for Hamburg, PA (40.56°N 75.97°W)

Images of BMECC's shelters and their capacities may be found on its website.

Anyone choosing to wait out the storm at St. John's Church pavilion should be prepared to move elsewhere on short notice. Although rain has stopped and skies are clearing, keep in mind Schuylkill River will is not expected to crest until sometime tomorrow.
    Last edited by emerald; 08-28-2011 at 14:55.

Try this one, wunderground.com. Were keeping a close watch here on the Outer Banks.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Default Hurricane Belle

My brother was thru hiking the AT and was caught by hurricane Belle. He was in NY and ishe nearly passed directly over him, and if I recall his account, he and his buddy just hunkered down in his tent and took a zero, as the rains and wind just weren't worth packing up or hiking in. I will try to call him and get a more detailed recollection if I have the chance later today.

That was August 10-11, 1976.

Though the formation of the storm was different, it could be that Irene's landfall could be very close to the same location.
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 08-24-2011 at 11:20.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait View Post
    Try this one, wunderground.com. Were keeping a close watch here on the Outer Banks.
    This is what I monitor also. Click on the 5 day for giggles.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical.../at201109.html

Images

Thanks for the link Mudhead. I have plans for Katahdin on Sunday, so Im watching this storm closely. I was lucky enough to reserve a parking spot for labor day weekend last night just in case...Full up this morning!
    skinny d

I have gone out in quite a few really bad storms. I always go out, rain, sleet, shine or snow as my time off is precious. There comes a point where it is dangerous to be actively hiking, but most of the time you just have to deal with being wet. I consider a few things if it's truely a torrential downpour and high winds 1) What is the terrain like that I will be hiking on and 2)How many miles do i need to do(if any at all). I try to limit the amount of miles I do during really bad weather and if my timeframe allows will just take a zero. I really enjoy just lounging back in my hammock with my tarp in porch mode and just watching it come down.

If the terrain is mostly exposed rock, or above treeline, or otherwise exposed area I will not hike unless there was an emergency due to the risk of falling/slipping, i would just take a zero. If it's through typical trail I will do 5-10 miles then stop and set camp. If it's safe to do so, some of the best hiking memories are from being out there in the midst of it!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

presidential range during hurricane floyd? 1999
    gorham was very packed with hikers,as it poured rain for a solid week.

i think it was floyd? the years get mixed up sometimes it was mid to late september and i was NH. in 1999
    that i do know

Images

There are at least two other threads active today on this topic that contain additional information related to Hurricane Irene, one of which includes information about its expected track.

I added links to my post earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by emerald; 08-28-2011 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    With Hurricane Irene expected to hit this part of the country by the weekend, has anyone ever been caught on the trail by a hurricane or other substantial storm? If so, what did you do to survive the horrible weather?
    I've been thru plenty of winter storms and blizzards, but the big ones I remember the most:

** I was camped near Tweetsie Railroad in NC in '95 when a freak tornado came thru and missed my tent by one hundred yards---it swayed the tent so bad that it split the poles.

** I was living in a tipi on a ridgetop in NC in '93 when the Blizzard of '93 barreled thru and the whole Southeast went back to 10,000 BC.

** I was at the same tipi in '89 when Hurricane Hugo came thru and kicked my butt but the tipi stood.

** I was camped out this last April in Bald River wilderness in TN when the big Southeast tornadoes ripped thru Alabama and the Chattanooga area.

** I was camped out in a freak cold snap windstorm in January '85 where the ambient temperature got down to -30F. That's Minus 30F. I packed up my gear and got to the closest town and slept under a pew in an open Baptist church for a couple nights until it passed. Thank god for thermarest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I was in the 100 Mile Wilderness a few years ago when the remanents of a hurricane came through. Fortunately, the heavy rain hit in the evening. It poured rain all night and stopped the next morning. The wind wasn't strong enough to blow down trees. I just crawled into my hammock, pulled the tarp down low and slept through the storm. It really wasn't a bad experience. The trail was muddy for a couple of days, but it is almost always muddy in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Shutterbug

weather.com (the weather channel) forecasts high-threat levels (winds up to 100mph) for all of NJ and SE NY begining Sunday Morning.

Similar forecast for most of New England in the hours tht follow. Should move to Canadian waters by Monday noon.

Quote Originally Posted by long island bob View Post
    weather.com (the weather channel) forecasts high-threat levels (winds up to 100mph) for all of NJ and SE NY begining Sunday Morning.

Similar forecast for most of New England in the hours tht follow. Should move to Canadian waters by Monday noon.
    Sounds like an excellent opportunity to finally put our Hilleberg tents to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Sounds like an excellent opportunity to finally put our Hilleberg tents to the test.
    LOL that's nuts.

Winds of 80 mph uproots trees and tears shingles off of roofs.
    At 100 mph roofs are torn off and trailers roll over.

As the storm approaches.
    Find a hotel.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hope the AT thru hikers up there NOBO and SOBO from NY to ME are staying abreast of the conditions. I would not want to be hiking in tropical weather. Hope they can get to a hostel or other shelter area.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++