WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fishing

Default Fishing

Hey everyone, I am planning to hike Rt 183 to Port Clinton, soon. I got the itch after doing Port Clinton to Leigh Gap. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any good spots to fish along this section of the trail? If not, where are some areas in PA that offer some good fishing? I would prefer any area south of Port Clinton. Thanks for any info that you provide, this will help me plan my trip.

Images

There are no places to fish on the section mentioned. This time of the year, hikers do well to find drinking water.

Farther west, Swatara Creek and Susquehanna River offer fishing opportunities. You may wish to refer to Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's website and adjust your plans.

So swatara gap to 183? Their are some small creeks and streams i might encounter on my hike. Rausch creek isn't good for fishing is it? Isn't trout run on this section?

Images

Keep in mind the A.T. east of Swatara Gap runs atop Kittatinny Ridge 1000 feet more or less above the valley floor below. The only fishing opportunities are where it drops into the water gaps which are few.

I've already seen the fish commission stocking that Rausch creek where the AT crosses that stone bridge.
    Of course, that was 20 years ago or so.
    But, that's the only place that I would try around there.
    There's a small pond at Hertline but, I don't know if there are fish in it???

The little Sch that flows into Port Clinton used to get stocked also. (but you'd be right next to a busy road)
    And the Kernsville dam (on your right NOBO just before you leave the road to head up into the woods from Port Clinton) has fish.
    You'd want to get on the opposite side of the dam though as again, you'd have a road to deal with.

good luck in your quest.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Clark's Creek (at the PA 325 road crossing) is popular for trout fishermen. You could start here, fish, hike SOBO to Peter's Mtn. Shelter to camp, then hike SOBO to the Susquehanna River and fish some more. And then clsoe out with a Doyle burger of course.

If you are into fly fishing check out Rattling Run - it is a great little brookie stream that runs right up the mountain.

Images

Mountain Creek runs along the trail in Pine Grove Furnace State Park, it is Catch & Release. Of course Boiling Springs is also a blue ribbon spot....but crowded. The Letort in Carlise, is a 'Heritage Stream' Pennsylvania is THE best trout fishing on the east coast....IMHO

++ New Posts ++