WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    I've also taken to using Ray Garlington's method of holding my hiking sticks out to my sides. If I can touch the trees with the ends of the poles, they are close enough. If I can touch one tree with the end of a pole and the other with my hand, they are almost too close.
    Me too, it's about 12 feet between the tips of the outstretched poles.

How long it takes me depends on lots of things... how tired I am, the slope I'm on, the type of forest I'm in, the weather, the time of year/what insulation I'm using, whether I'm in a hurry, etc... and then there are the times when I messed up estimating the distance between trees and have to retie a knot or two. Now, if you're talking about in my back yard between my favorite hammock hanging trees when I don't need the tarp or bugnet or insulation... I'm so fast that I'm done before I look down at my watch to see how long it took.

But what Howie is asking is how long it takes to set up in between trees where you know the distance, are using your tarp and the terrain is flat with no impediments... the shortest possible time, not counting isulation placement and such. I haven't measured mine but would guess it is in the three minute range since I use a seperate tarp that requires six stakes.

Youngblood

Images

I will go out this weekend and try it at three speeds: normal, lesiurly, and in a hurry and see what I get.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Just for the record ...the time indicated in my earlier post was in summer (not raining) and did not include locating of trees. I do things a bit different when it's raining and not sure if that has a big impact on time. If raining when I set up I tie out the fly between the trees first (at about shoulder height) and then stake it out. With the overhead protection I next attach the straps to the two trees and adjust the tension.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I will go out this weekend and try it at three speeds: normal, lesiurly, and in a hurry and see what I get.
    Sarge,

I'll be on the Benton MacKaye Trail... come on down and we'll time it before a toast after the first toast, after the second toast, etc.

Youngblood

Default hammock set up time

I use the Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker model.

When I first got it, it took me about 10 to 15 minutes to set up, 90% of that tying the hammock lines to the tree saver webbing. I have since remove the lines on the hammock and attached 1 inch webbing to the hammock directly. Now it only takes a minute or two. Generally, I set it up, sit in it, retighten the webbing lines one more time and them I'm good for the night. If it's raining, will set up the canopy before removing the JacksRBetter python skins. Highly recommend the python skins or Hennessy's snake skins.

You didn't ask, but everyone seems to be commenting on it - I look for two trees about four and half to six paces apart. Five paces is better than six. I've hung it on trees much further than that, but you have to tie the attachment points much higher.
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearbag hanger
    I look for two trees about four and half to six paces apart. Five paces is better than six. I've hung it on trees much further than that, but you have to tie the attachment points much higher.
    You also have to make sure that the two trees you pick are the right width, are ideally still alive and don't have any "widow makers" up above, and there isn't too much undergrowth that will scrape the bottom of your hammock all night and drive you crazy!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default More questions

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Keep it coming!

As for myself, I use a Hennessy ultralight backpacker most of the time (I actually prefer the non-Asym version...and it's lighter). I thought it took me about 3-4 minutes to set up until I actually timed it once: 5.5 minutes. And this was at a spot that I set up at routinely, so I knew my location and all of the little knobs on the tree that I had to deal with.

It’s a little quicker now with Hennessy’s newer and stiffer jacketed ropes (The original ultralight backpacker ropes are bare spectra, which is more difficult to load through the webbing loops), but those knots are time consuming no matter how you look at them.

Not only that, but if you set up the first side so that the hammock is too close to the tree and your ropes wont sufficiently reach the other tree, you’ve got to completely redo the first knot to make it all work.

Granted, 5 minutes still isn't a too much time to spend setting up a shelter, it takes me that long, maybe even longer, to deploy my trusty silshelter of 5 years when I dwell on the ground.

That said, I prefer to maximize my time in the hammock rather than time spent setting it up, and a faster method of deployment, especially one that eliminates having to "reset" the first knot to increase the line length, encourages me to use my hammock more frequently, even for quick afternoon naps.

Think about it this way. A lunch break or afternoon siesta is often 30-45 minutes. If it takes you 5 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to tear down, that's either 22-33% of your entire break time, or an additional 10 minutes of your time outside of your “break” that you're not doing anything productive.

What if you could set your hammock up in less than 1 minute without rushing?
    What if it was literally almost as simple and quick as walking between two trees?
    Would it increase your enjoyment of hammocking?

Jeremy Padgett
    Hungry Howie & The New Sushi

Images

Truthfully, I don't think 5 minutes is excessive to set up a shelter ...of any sort. That said, I too got tired of futzing with those knots, regardless of how long it took me to tie them. That's exactly why I came up with the little adaptation I mentioned in an earlier post. And yes, since working out that change I do enjoy my hammock more ...of course I'm only a "fair weather" tree dweller. Tried the winter hammock thing with all the suggested modifications/additions and just couldn't get comfortable.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

Meandering through Vermont, New Hampshire, + Maine

Lightbulb next thing to try

My homemade hammock might have something like this.

http://www.clamcleat.com/line-lok.htm

Just a pass through the webbing loop and lock in place...can be retensioned in seconds after sitting in the hammock a while.

I think I'd have to tie and untie the little overhand knot each time to work the device...but no problem.

Use their strongest one on 3/16 spectra core?

I've been looking for something with the finctionality of those little plastic guideline tensioners you see on cheap tents. This is as close as I've found.

But I'd think it could make setup 30 seconds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMtns

Just a pass through the webbing loop and lock in place...can be retensioned in seconds after sitting in the hammock a while.
    ============================================
    They look like they'd work quite well. Do you know how much those clamcleats cost ??

Thanks,

'Slogger

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ============================================
    They look like they'd work quite well. Do you know how much those clamcleats cost ??

Thanks,

'Slogger
    I don't use any of the fancy rope locks, but then again I'm a boyscout and would probably get frowned upon for it any way. I set up pretty fast with normal knots though.
    HAMMOCKS ARE SUPREME!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shane De Luca
    I don't use any of the fancy rope locks, but then again I'm a boyscout and would probably get frowned upon for it any way. I set up pretty fast with normal knots though.
    ===============
    Im a old boy scout too Shane ...and I know my knots and can tie most of them with ease and speed. But knots have their time and place.

Others can frown all they want. All that frowning is about them ...not you and/or me. If I can come up with a simpler, smarter and faster way to do something I'm gonna do it.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

I haven't found them retail, so I'm not sure what they cost. I'm still looking for something like this, or some other tensioner, that makes hanging a cinch.

I completely understand anybody thinking that I'm just that lazy...but I am intrigued by gadgets like that. I also have to get over that contradiction of a personal philosophy -- not packing anything that does not have multiple uses. After all, why buy a gadget that takes up space and adds weight, when a knot is free and weightless (already part of the rope.)

Call me insane, but if I can get my hands on something like this...I just gotta try it. Anybody find something like this, please let me know. I've been investigating climbing devices, as well as ship rigging. Think "anyone who uses more rope than a hammock hanger." Of course, this does not help those who use webbing exclusively. But for my Homemade...thin, strong rope is integral and cannot be avoided in my design.

Images

I haven't found them retail, so I'm not sure what they cost.
    =======================================
    Well ...if you do locate them and need to buy them in quantity let me know. I'll chip in on the purchase to get my hands a few.

Thanks,

'Slogger

on this page...

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/sto...are/cleats.htm

the CL260 line-lok appears to be $.85 that's as it...less than a buck.

The company's web site describes this model as being able to hold up to 200 lbs I think. One on each end of a hammock...sharing half the load...?

They ahve another...the CL 223...that appears to be much stronger.

I'm still looking.

P.S. sorry if these couple of posts somewhat got off topic on the speed of hanging a hammock...

...but then these wouldn't be that far off topic after all.

I think I'd have to tie and untie the little overhand knot each time to work the device...
    WhiteMtns,

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with hammocks. I have, however, used clamcleats extensively on sailboats. I don't know how useful they would be with your hammock system, but offer these comments for your evaluation.

On sailboats, clamcleats can hold a tremendous load. However, several factors are critical to their function:

1. Constant Load
    These devices hold well when there is a load on the line, however, when the load is eased, the cleat loses its "bite". Until you load the hammock, this cleat may not perform as well as you'd like.

2. Direction of Pull
    In order for a clamcleat to hold, the direction of pull is critical. Depending how you rig the clamcleat, this may or may not be an issue. If you loop your line around the tree, and back to the cleat, the girth of the tree may not allow the line to pull at the proper angle for a secure lock. If you used a web choker around the tree, you could probably get a fair lead to the cleat.

My preference would be to use knots to secure a hammock. Simpler is better. Just my opinion.

Roland

OK

one last find on this subject.

http://us.binnacle.com/online/produc...&pf%5Fid=23571

$3.95 each

Could hold up to 600 lbs. Takes up to 1/4" rope (1/4 inch spectra core has a tensile strength of 2500 lbs...some brands much higher)

Measures 2 1/16" by 11/16"

and Weighs .7oz

now if it works...slip free under tension...I could sacrifice 1.4 ounces for the convenience. It'll be a while before I reach that stage of experimentation...I have a couple of projects to finish before I get to my hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland

My preference would be to use knots to secure a hammock. Simpler is better. Just my opinion.

Roland
    Thanks Roland...you're probably right of course...but when I get a crazy idea in my head...

My idea is to have the rope pass trough a loop in webbing that has been looped around a tree...giving a parallel return to the lock. Same on the other end. I hope to rig the thin rope very tight, clothesline-like, as the rope is the ridgeline for my tarp. Setting up the tarp first, without the hammock, for rainy day cooking, etc.

There will be two dropper loops already tied in this line that my hammock will clip to via gated clips or biners when it's time to hit the sack...now it's tarp support, ridgeline, and hammock suspension. So if all goes right, the rope should be under constant tension, just a little more so once I'm in bed. And I'm still using only the one line.

Thanks again.

Thanks Roland...you're probably right of course...but when I get a crazy idea in my head...

Thanks again.
    WhiteMtns,

Just because I am an "old dog" doesn't mean a "new trick" wouldn't work for you. Don't give up on the idea, if it makes sense to you. That's what innovation is all about!

I've taken a look at the link you posted above. I found this information on the same device: http://www.clamcleat.com/midaircleat.htm

That clamcleat, with its built-in fairlead, may ensure the proper direction of pull. This could work. Give it a try.

Roland

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Just because I am an "old dog" doesn't mean a "new trick" wouldn't work for you. Don't give up on the idea, if it makes sense to you. That's what innovation is all about!
    Roland
    ==========================
    I don't have much to offer this dialogue but I am very interested in the outcome.

'Slogger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++