WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Set-up questions for hammock users + new questions

Edit: More questions added. Please see http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ed=1#post87205
    Hi gang,

I’m trying to see how hammock users feel about the complexity or lack of complexity regarding deploying their hammocks, and whether one type or brand of hammock is inherently easier to setup than another. I’d really appreciate it if you find time to answer the following short questions. If you frequently use more than one type of hammock, I’d also appreciate your feedback on all hammocks that you use/ have used.

What brand and model hammock do you use?

How long does it take for you to set up your hammock and rain fly?

Note: this is from the time you pull your hammock out of your pack to the time it is suspended and the rain fly is staked down. Please do not include any additional variables such as attaching an under quilt.

Have you ever wished there was an easier and quicker method of deploying your hammock?

Thanks, gang!

Jeremy Padgett
    Hungry Howie & The New Sushi
    Last edited by hungryhowie; 02-16-2005 at 17:40.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I made a modification a long time ago to my Hennessy Hammock to simplify set up and take down. I can have it fully up and ready to use in 3 - 4 minutes.

I don't fuss with the knots any more, which was (at least for me) the most time consuming part of the process. I found two long 1" wide nylon straps with plastic buckles at the ends and slid metal (250 lbs test) rings over them. The line from the hammock is tied (and stays tied) to those rings. I find 2 suitable trees and attach the straps ...loosely at first. Then I adjust the tension of the straps at both ends until I get it centered and tight. In the morning all I do is lift up on the buckle tabs and take the straps off the trees.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I would love to see a few pics of this rig you set up for you hennessey hammock, ive been practicing setting it up, but your way seems much easier.
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    I find 2 suitable trees...
    This is by far the most time-consuming part of setup!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hungryhowie
    Hi gang,

I’m trying to see how hammock users feel about the complexity or lack of complexity regarding deploying their hammocks, and whether one type or brand of hammock is inherently easier to setup than another. I’d really appreciate it if you find time to answer the following short questions. If you frequently use more than one type of hammock, I’d also appreciate your feedback on all hammocks that you use/ have used.

What brand and model hammock do you use?

How long does it take for you to set up your hammock and rain fly?

Note: this is from the time you pull your hammock out of your pack to the time it is suspended and the rain fly is staked down. Please do not include any additional variables such as attaching an under quilt.

Have you ever wished there was an easier and quicker method of deploying your hammock?

Thanks, gang!

Jeremy Padgett
    Hungry Howie & The New Sushi
    It's been a couple months since I tried, and I have never timed myself before.

Homemade ZHammock, with 1 inch web straps. Fly is 5x10 ft silnylon, held down at 8 points by 4 stakes. Fly guidelines are pulse cord.

1 min 45 sec (without running or rushing) from pack to hammock suspended and rain fly staked down.

Details: Weather: 10 mph breeze that whipped the fly around a fair amount. Hammock and rain fly started in separate hammock tubes. Hammock and fly tied to trees with modified Speer 4 wrap knot.

Teardown (both items in hammock tubes and in pack) took 1 min 30 seconds.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    ==================================
    With the longer nylon straps I don't have to be quite as picky when it comes to trees ...but yeah, that is definitely the challenge at times.

'Slogger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UCONNMike
    I would love to see a few pics of this rig you set up for you hennessey hammock, ive been practicing setting it up, but your way seems much easier.
    =================================
    Don't have any pics at the moment but I'll see what I can do.

'Slogger

Images

I had an e-mail from some scouts that were having contests to set Hennessy Hammocks up, I think some had got it down below 30 seconds for an un-modified hammock.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Meandering through Vermont, New Hampshire, + Maine

My Hennessy, standard diamond tarp, two tie outs, usually two and a half to three minutes.

But unless there's a sudden squall...I have all the time in the world to complete it, so I can't say how much faster I'd be if I was rushing.

I have an Idea I want to try on my homemade hammock that should make set up in the 30 seconds to a minute range...but that's yet to be seen. It requires the purchase of a piece of climbing gear that will do away with any knots or wrapping the suspension line at all. That's that most time consuming part...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    I hear that, when i first got my hammock i went outside to set it up, and i walked around in the woods behind my house and searched for two trees that were strong enough and the right distance apart. I just hope this isn't a problem when I'm out on the AT.
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Images

It won't be. You get real good at spotting them. 5 to 6 paces is my standard pace to get some good trees, but I have gone a little closer and sometimes even a little further apart.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    It won't be. You get real good at spotting them. 5 to 6 paces is my standard pace to get some good trees, but I have gone a little closer and sometimes even a little further apart.
    hey Sgt. how do yo uset your's up? with the knot they show on the HH site or do you have a rig set up to get it set up faster, cause i have a feeling i'm gonna get real sick of doing that knot every nite...and suggestions
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

You will get so used to that knot that you will throw it with your eyes shut. It doesn't matter which brand of hammock you use, it gets to be an embedded skill. At least that was my sectioning experience after a few nights.

Images

I agree with Orangebug. The knot was a bogger to get especially with the description on the bag, but once you understand how it works it is like trying your shoelaces.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

It takes me about 10 minutes to set the hammock correctly. I use a line level on the hinge line and space the hammock evenly end to end. Then lay it it for a few minutes and move around, which pulls slack out of the lashings and tree huggers, then after double checking the level and spacing, re-tension on one side. If I attach my 10X12 tarp, thats another 10 minutes. Why is time such and issue? Relax, lay back and enjoy it.

It's raining cats and dogs! You wanna get everything wet?

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Routinely takes about 3 minutes to set my hennessy up but I 'm picky...can do it in under two if I hustle....Like other said, it can be done virtually witheyes closed once you are experienced...this includes deploying the Nest under quilt which stays attached and is rolled up with the hammock in the Python Skins.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

No, I don't want to get everything wet. If it were raining, I would set my tarp first. Which would provide ample rain protection, then hang my hammock. It actually took me 30 minutes to set my hammock once. I laid back in it to test the position, my brother-in-law woke me up 30 minutes later.

Images

Well my set up style has the tarp not inside the snakeskins. When it rains Ijust put up the ridgeline with the snakeskins still over the hammock and then spread the tarpout while the hammock stays in the skins. When I am ready for bed I open up the hammock. Tear down is basically a reversal, I pack my backpack up then close up the hammock under the tarp, finally I'll finish by taking down the tarp and packing the coiled snakeskins inside my pack and the tarp in an mesh pouch outside the pack so the hammock itself is never exposed to the rain.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I've also taken to using Ray Garlington's method of holding my hiking sticks out to my sides. If I can touch the trees with the ends of the poles, they are close enough. If I can touch one tree with the end of a pole and the other with my hand, they are almost too close.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++