WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Airport to katadin?

How do I get there?

I just lost my job, and I'm thinking of going southbound. It's a lifelong dream, and now seems to be the perfect time. Thanks for the help.

You fly to Bangor, Maine and have a shuttle arranged to pick you up. Although if you're planning an end to end southbound hike, you're too late.
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

Images

If you have the proper gear, why couldn't you start a sobo hike right now? People start nobo hikes in January and February, certainly you could hike the opposite direction that time of year.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    If you have the proper gear, why couldn't you start a sobo hike right now?
    I agree. The Barefoot Sisters didn't get done until, what, February for heaven's sake? It's doable. Takes some planning and cold weather experience, but possible.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

I won't say it's too late (assuming you wrote this post today.. almost September 1, 2011) but it's getting damn close. It will be end September to early October by the time you hit the White Mountains. Winter is coming on strong by mid October in the White Mountains. let's also recognize that winter in the Southern Appalachians has NOTHING on winter in the Green and White mountains.

In my opinion September 1 is indeed too late for starting a South Bound Hike unless you are prepared for winter conditions (by New England standards) and have much of your trip done in chilly and unpleasant weather.

Since someone came on asking a question like "How do I get to the starting point of this trip?" I doubt they are extremely prepared and knowledgeable about what is to come. Maybe I'm wrong, but without more info it doesn't seem like the OP has done much research for starting a hike in the "normal" times, much less hitting the Whites and Greens in late September and the high country in the south in January and February...
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

Before you started from Springer did you know how to get there? Welcome to the planning stages dude.

It is totally doable to leave now and walk south. The window for weather will still be open for quite a while and even after it closes it is still doable.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

To answer your question C-Stepper, there is some info here

I'm just down the road and have headed south from Katahdin 3 times in October. I'm actually heading up that way in the next week or two as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk gear/strategy/etc.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

If you are looking for a ride or overnight accomodations or just need some information, see my website at www.100milewilderness.info I will be glad to help out and get you started in the right direction. Baxter Park officially closes for camping on October 15 and climbing "the mountain" is made on a day to day basis as snow and ice are realities during the month of October and beyond. Many of the river crossings in Maine are dangerous or impossible to ford right now due to all the rain we have had. Plan for the cold and shorter daylight hours as well. Start out now and you will definitely be hitting snow and ice by the time you get to the Whites. It may not last long at this time of year, but it will slow you down and make your life miserable if you are not prepared.

Maybe a SOBO starting about now is "doable", but it certianly isn't recommended. The weather might even stay reasonable until the end of October or early November. That has indeed been the trend for the last few years. But once it starts to go bad, it goes bad quickly. Due to the short days and difficult terrain, I doubt even a strong hiker would be much past the middle of NH by that time.

I would suggest starting no farther north then Mass, then you have a fighting chance of staying on the trail for more than a month or two. It would also be much easier to get to, you can do it by bus from Boston.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++