WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiking Knife

Default Hiking Knife

Any thoughts. I have a swiss army with several baldes and a small saw. I don't know what I'd be sawing. Dead limbs are usually on the ground. Anyhow it's lighter than my leatherman. Is this overkill for a 8 day in NC next week? Your thoughts

Images

Ive found you rarely need anything more than a single edge razor blade for most trips.But I still like to have my own swiss army knife with me, almost as a security blanket, knowing Ill probably never need the corkscrew or can opener, although the scissors are easier for cutting moleskin than the blade.maybe its overkill, and you may never use the saw, but I still cant leave mine home,even on a day hike.

Leatherman Micra 1.9oz is what I carry on & off the trail.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

I think this is probably the appropriate knife for an AT hike.

Or maybe this, which is what I actually carry. The scissors are the most useful part, followed by the tweezers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Will you need all of those blades....or are you just carrying it for the saw and the knife? Although I have a nice Swiss army knife, I rarely use it backpacking. Instead, I use a 4" folding lockblade knife and a (knockoff) micro leatherman type tool, which I purchased for $10 from Harbor Freight.....I love that store!

Images
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Journal Entries
    Images

DGM - I wish you had searched WB on knifes before posting - there's a thread started every week here, and the unfortunate thing is that knifes are in abundance like opinions. Someone suggests that a razor blade will do - yet there isn't a man on the AT that shaves. The Swiss army knife is a nice piece of cutlery, good for disassemble a gun or cleaning a broken nail.... goes dull way to fast. Leatherman & locking blades are safer, and appear to be stronger, for wood craft - a disappearing art. I am for taking something, so long as its not a Chinese knockoff, ask Aaron Rolston...

When you do decide to pick a knife - make a fuzz stick - and discover if its still sharp afterwards. That's my test.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++