WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Default Silnylon source...(15+ yds)

I need 14-17yrds (not sure how much yet) of silnylon to build a 3-person tarptent-like shelter and floor. I know there is a kite or sailing place online that carries it at a significately less prices than the $5-$10 price per yard you see elsewhere. I seem to have lost the link.

Any ideas?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

www.noahlamport.com

If you give them a call, they can give you the stocks of different colors they have. THeir online ordering is not updated color wise, so it is better to give them (Roger Small) a call.

Brian

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Thanks.

That's them. I recognized the front page immediately. In fact, I think you provided the link last time.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

No problem. I have baout 800 yards under my belt with NL, and the service is great. Hope the tarptent comes out good!

Brian

Images

Bought mine from AYCE at Thruhiker.com. Great guy and great service.

Meandering through Vermont, New Hampshire, + Maine

Is the Silnylon they carry the stuff they list under

Drag Chute Fabric
    Nylon Ripstop 2nds, Silicone Coated, Zero Porosity

If so...is it the typical 1.1 (1.3) oz or is it a heavier 1.9oz? And why did I not just write them? Funny how reliable this board can be...such that I ask here instead of there.

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    www.noahlamport.com

If you give them a call, they can give you the stocks of different colors they have. THeir online ordering is not updated color wise, so it is better to give them (Roger Small) a call.

Brian
    Yeah, I definately second that. The one time I tried to order from them it was because of the fabulous listing of colors they had on their website. Unfortunately, I got a call the next day saying they didn't have any of the colors I wanted in stock. Bummer. Definately a place to call ahead of time before ordering.

Oh, and silnylon is listed as zero posterity, the 0-3cfm is 1.1oz before the silicone coating.

-howie

Default a tip

ask them to ship it to you OFF of a bolt - just folded up in a box. i can just pop in and buy it from their warehouse, but others have had theirs shipped to them and lo and behold it was rolled up on a cardboard tube, which made shipping pricier.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tarbubble
    ask them to ship it to you OFF of a bolt - just folded up in a box. i can just pop in and buy it from their warehouse, but others have had theirs shipped to them and lo and behold it was rolled up on a cardboard tube, which made shipping pricier.
    They charge you about $5 to cut the fabric, so if you get the end of the roll you save a little money there. If you are working with large pieces of fabric (especially silnylon) it is much easier when it is on the full width cardboard tube since it rolls out and stays pretty flat... I have gotten fabric from them that was the end of the roll so that I didn't have to pay the $5 cut fee and it was easier to work with because it would roll out flat. But I work alone on the floor because I don't have a large enough work table, it might not be as much of an issue for two people with a good large work table.

Youngblood

Images

TarBubble: I would reccomend getting it shipped off the bolt unless you are ordering 20 yards or more. Silnylon on the bolt with more than 20 yards makes it so much easier to store and more around, and would be well worth the possible few extra dollars to ship it.

Youngblood: I use a large section of floor to cut silnylon, and then use a table widthwise to cut off the unfinished edges.

The silnylon is around 1.3oz after the coating, so it is the "standard" lightweight silnylon.

Brian

Default thanks

thanks, brian. i've never bought more than 13 yards in one color at a time, so i was unaware of the headache that the end user might get from large quantities off-tube. the things i don't know could fill the Grand Canyon.

Images

Tarbubble- Moving 187 yd bolt of silnylon might get a little messy off the tube, so I choose to keep it on Glad I could help

Brian

++ New Posts ++