WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam....Info Needed!

Hello All:

Planning this section for October and I am in need of some information, recommendations
    and advice from those of you who have been there. We can hike either way NOBO or SOBO.

1. Shuttle from Franklin, NC to Fontana Dam, or in reverse.

2. What campsites and/or shelters to visit or avoid.

3. Where would you stay either in Franklin or Fontana?

All info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Images

Camping on Siler Bald would be glorious that time of year. Would make for a nice, short first day from or last day to Winding Stair. Tent or tarp on the ledge halfway up, or else there are hammockable places around the saddle where the trail crosses the bald area.

Absolutely plan on stopping at NOC for meal and refreshing beverage(s)!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Did Wayah Gap to the NOC in early June. Stay away from Cold Springs shelter...very old, dank, and dark. Someday, I'd love to sleep on the fire tower platform on Wesser Bald...outstanding views. Definitely chow down at the NOC.

Thank you scope and daddytwosticks.....

Just did this section as part of a larger section last month. I agree with finding a way to camp or spend some quality time on Siler Bald. Great location. Wayah Gap shelter is decent, but water was a bit slow last month, may be dry now. Wesser Bald Shelter is decent, with plenty of good tent sites. Rufus Morgan shelter is a bit sketchy is only 15-20 minutes from NOC, so I would skip on by it. After NOC, Sassafras Gap shelter and Brown Fork Gap are probably the better two of the three in that area.

In Franklin, I stayed at Ron's place (Budget Inn). Nice folks and good rates. Good eats right around there in easy walking distance.

Have a good hike.

Images

In Franklin I would also recommend one of Ron's places the Sapphire Inn get young lady that runs it for him & as my wife says "THE BEST MEXICAN RESTAURANT" right across the street. If you do not like Mexican I suggest Stamy's about a block away.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Images

Should be Great Young lady, not get. Old age memory laps.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Get young lady sounds better, thanks Mike

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just did this section NOBO with my daughter in May. Jeff from the Hike Inn shuttled us, and we would have stayed there had our return flight worked out: http://www.thehikeinn.com, 828-479-3677. We stayed at Ron Haven's Budget Inn when we finished in Franklin last year: http://havensbudgetinn.com, 828-524-4403. Ron can coordinate a shuttler also.
    We tented just trail east of the Siler Bald saddle up a grassed woods road where there are several tentsites, but we did backtrack to the shelter in the morning to stock up on water. The tentsite near the top of the Bald was less than level.
    I'd try to work it so you camp atop Cheoah Bald.
    PM me if you'd like me to see our trip journal with pictures.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Just did this section NOBO with my daughter in May. Jeff from the Hike Inn shuttled us, and we would have stayed there had our return flight worked out: http://www.thehikeinn.com, 828-479-3677. We stayed at Ron Haven's Budget Inn when we finished in Franklin last year: http://havensbudgetinn.com, 828-524-4403. Ron can coordinate a shuttler also.
    We tented just trail east of the Siler Bald saddle up a grassed woods road where there are several tentsites, but we did backtrack to the shelter in the morning to stock up on water. The tentsite near the top of the Bald was less than level.
    I'd try to work it so you camp atop Cheoah Bald.
    PM me if you'd like me to see our trip journal with pictures.
    If they are anything I can do to help you please let me know. 828-524-4403

++ New Posts ++