WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Approach Trail???

I wasn't planning on doing the approach. I just didn't want to burn a day hiking to start my official hike. It didnt make since to me. Is this the wrong idea? Is there any importance to the approach?

No importance at all. It is totally a personal decision. Either you want to hike it of you don't. Many hike it. Many skip it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Concur. No importance other than what other hikers make of it. If you get dropped off at FS42 trailhead, whoever drops you off (friends, family) could make the hike up to the plaque with you, take your picture and then see you off.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike (with a couple of links to threads concerning the Approach Trail)

Images

no, IT IS the most important part of the hike...i mean, THE most important part...no, i kid...but if you're gonna be out for 5 plus months, what's another day?
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    no, IT IS the most important part of the hike...i mean, THE most important part...no, i kid...but if you're gonna be out for 5 plus months, what's another day?
    That is the way I look at it, right now. Unless someone is really crimped for time, what is another day? Personally I will prob stop at the Len Foote Inn for the first night (prob starting after lunch at Amicalola), not even making it to Springer. I visited the Len Foote a couple years ago and enjoyed my stay. I'm out there to have fun, and that was fun for me.

If you do the approach trail (only 8 miles, no big deal) you'll be more in swing of things when you actually start the trail. Plus.. it starts at the SP visitor center. Plenty of parking, and they take your picture.

I don't advocate one way or the other, but one thing I don't understand is other than the non-whiteblazes on the approach trail you can't tell the difference. I don't get the idea of "wasting time" on the approach in lieu of the AT, they're the same thing, including the climbs, descents and views.

Am I missing something here; you put one foot in front of the other and repeat

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    I wasn't planning on doing the approach. I just didn't want to burn a day hiking to start my official hike. It didnt make since to me. Is this the wrong idea? Is there any importance to the approach?
    no importance at all. get a ride to the parking lot at FS 42

doesn't matter at all but why are you worried about 1 more day?....it's alot of days to Katahdin, why rush?

geek

True. I guess Im just anxious to get passed that Springer marker and get some mileage under my belt. No rush to Katahdin, I know a day wont make a difference. I was just curious to see if not doing the approach was frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    I was just curious to see if not doing the approach was frowned upon.
    Not at all. zero frowning.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You'll find that a lot of things are frowned upon by a variety of people.

You'll also find that what these people frown upon is usually just plain silly.

Enjoy your hike. That's the key!

And the one's frowning upon your hike? Let 'em. They are obviously too busy worrying about your hike to enjoy theirs.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Dang it, I was gonna add something like Mags posted but he beat me to it. I frown upon that........

If you get to Katahdin, the trail back down down count either. So just stay there.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Why even think let alone worry about 15 clicks?

Images

At my age, didn't know if I'd get back to hike the approach if I didn't do it this past spring. Made a reservation for the lodge at the top of the falls. Arrived late afternoon and hiked to the top of the falls then checked into the lodge. Good dinner, shared info with those coming down the approach trail who had been through a near tornado hit along the AT and started the next morning after breakfast at the lodge. No point in roughing it when there is an alternative. The approach was a good warm up for a flatlander and it was a challenge. I'm out there to have fun, too. No woulda, coulda, shoulda remorse over leaving out the approach trail.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Totally personal decison of no consequence. However I gotta ask if you "don't want to burn a day hiking" why are you going out on the AT? Forget the mileage and go burn as many days hiking as you can on whatever trails or sections you want.

I will be doing it on my next section hike in April. The reason? It's easier to have someone drop you off there as opposed to driving up dirt roads.

I did the approach trail and am happy I did it... It was a lot easier for my ride to drop me off at the state park visitors center.... the falls at Amicalola were some of the best I saw the whole thru-hike, and the only time I ever went "backwards" on the AT was coming back down the Hunt Trail off Katahdin.
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

If you hike the approach trail, you will never have to wonder what it was like. There is no ther 9 mile section of trail more discussed and debated, despite the fact that it is fairly non-descript. The trail from the visitor center to the top of the falls is pretty ridiculous, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++