WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default permethrin on a down bag?

Is it safe to spray permethrin onto a down bag? I'm going to be section hiking the mid-Atlantic this fall and am worried about ticks. Will I ruin my bag if I spray it? Should I just spray my clothes instead?

Garlic
    Images

I wouldn't want to spray anything on my expensive down bag. And I'm no tick expert, but I don't think they crawl around at night looking for dinner. I think the usual transmission is by brushing against vegetation.

I've had real good luck with permethrin spray on my trousers and socks. I no longer carry DEET, just a head net. I didn't pick up a single tick on my AT hike, and I managed the mosquitoes and black flies OK.

How's the summer going down there in Marana? Welcome to WB!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Ticks are in high grass. Don't keep your bag outside your pack. Air it out on stops.

Images

I wouldn't use permethrin on a good down bag. It's probably OK, but would be an expensive mistake if it's not.
    If you're using a tent, no need at all, just be a little careful when you air your bag out.
    If you're not using a tent, you could use permethrin on a tyvek ground sheet and it'll keep the creepy crawlies off.

++ New Posts ++