WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default New FBI press release about Stonewall investigation

The FBI has requested the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to send out the following revised press release, dated today, about the Scott “Stonewall” Lilly investigation.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Richmond Division
    1970 East Parham Road
    Richmond, Virginia 23228

UPDATE OF INVESTIGATION INTO SUSPICIOUS DEATH IN THE
    GEORGE WASHINGTON NATIONAL FOREST

On August 12, 2011, hikers reported the discovery of a deceased individual located near a hiking trail in close proximity to the Appalachian Trail, in the Northwest part of Amherst County, Virginia. Investigators from the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, the United States Forest Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene and the body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Virginia Department of Health.

Subsequent investigation identified the victim as Mr. Scott Lilly of South Bend, Indiana, known by the trail name “Stonewall.” It appears Mr. Lilly was hiking the Appalachian Trail and the circumstances of his death are suspicious.

While this multiagency investigation is ongoing, and the release of information may be limited, it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted. However, hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail.

Information provided by the public thus far has been extremely beneficial in advancing this investigation. Investigators are now seeking to locate and identify several additional hikers, who while using the following trail names, may have had contact with Mr. Lilly. These individuals are:

“Mr. Coffee”
    “White Wolf”
    “Papa Smurf”
    “Combat Gizmo” and “Space Cadet” (possibly a husband/wife team)

Anyone with information regarding these individuals is once again urged to call the FBI at 1-800-225-5324, option #4 (1-800-CALL FBI, #4).

###

Laurie Potteiger
    Information Services Manager
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    799 Washington Street | P.O. Box 807
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807
    Phone: 304.535.2200 x128
    [email protected]
    www.appalachiantrail.org
    Attached Files Attached Files

Recovering meniscectomy patient

We continue to follow this story.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/201...th-ar-1282332/

Chris Dumond
    The News & Advance

Images

This Papa Smurf fellow is already wanted by NY and PA, I think it is. Grim, but interesting.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The hikers I talked to on the trail this week were saying rumors were he was shot and it may have been some hunting accident gone awry. ? They weren't buying the hunting as it isn't hunting season unless someone was playing with a gun or doing illegal hunting and it went off ? But several hikers were rather nervous, esp SOBOers. They all want more info to feel safer trekking in that part of the trail. I did tell them to skip Hog Camp Gap (near a road) and Cow Camp shelter. If a crime did happen in the vicinty of that shelter, hope they do away with the shelter area. Just my thought though
    Last edited by Blissful; 09-02-2011 at 20:27.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Papa Smurf aka Teardrop and who knows what else.....

This guy Papa Smurf AKA TEARDROP threatened to eat my dog Elvis back in april at the Hiker Bash , when I told him to shut up about eatin my dog he said "OH YEAH" and reached like he was goin for a weapon then his friend (whom he had given a black eye) ??? pushed him away before he actually pulled a weapon out so I don't know what he had BUT THE FRANKLIN NC POLICE DEPT were called by himself, , and the last I saw he was being hauled off in cuffs.......found out later he was only taken to a different motel and told to stay in room or go to jail ... hopefully the cops searched him(made a report) and know what weapons were on him at that time .....Thats all I got .I hope it helps ......DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT HIS FRIENDS NAME WAS (with the BlackEye?) PLEASE POST OR CALL THE NUMBER LISTED

RIP Mr.Lilly
    whatever happened to you?

This whole thing really sucks .Was he murdered or what ? I have friends out there right now ! We ALL NEED TO KNOW !
    AND REMEMBER this Papa Smurf is not the one whose name resides on the Fontana Hilton! He is a good guy! Thankfully there are more of those than this other type .....on the Trail!

PEACE

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfred View Post
    This guy Papa Smurf AKA TEARDROP threatened to eat my dog Elvis back in april at the Hiker Bash , when I told him to shut up about eatin my dog he said "OH YEAH" and reached like he was goin for a weapon then his friend (whom he had given a black eye) ??? pushed him away before he actually pulled a weapon out so I don't know what he had BUT THE FRANKLIN NC POLICE DEPT were called by himself, , and the last I saw he was being hauled off in cuffs.......found out later he was only taken to a different motel and told to stay in room or go to jail ... hopefully the cops searched him(made a report) and know what weapons were on him at that time .....Thats all I got .I hope it helps ......DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT HIS FRIENDS NAME WAS (with the BlackEye?) PLEASE POST OR CALL THE NUMBER LISTED

RIP Mr.Lilly
    whatever happened to you?

This whole thing really sucks .Was he murdered or what ? I have friends out there right now ! We ALL NEED TO KNOW !
    AND REMEMBER this Papa Smurf is not the one whose name resides on the Fontana Hilton! He is a good guy! Thankfully there are more of those than this other type .....on the Trail!

PEACE
    I remember the guy with the black eye. He wondered around wearing dirty pjs and bumming cigarettes off people. It seems to me he was a Franklin Local and not actually a hiker.

Images

we are positive Papa Smurf is the killer.?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Bears View Post
    We continue to follow this story.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/201...th-ar-1282332/

Chris Dumond
    The News & Advance
    I certainly hope you continue to get your facts from the proper authorities and not from gossip and assumptions that you may read in a chat room.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

No he could be a harmless person with some problems but he did make threats and if you read the SUSPECT HIKER THREAD you will see he has threatened others too . Just givin info ...
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    we are positive Papa Smurf is the killer.?
    that's not what fred is saying. he is just saying papa smurf is a bad apple and needs to be looked at.

Images

Thanks Laurie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I remember the guy with the black eye. He wondered around wearing dirty pjs and bumming cigarettes off people. It seems to me he was a Franklin Local and not actually a hiker.
    had a white panel van with maryland tags

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    had a white panel van with maryland tags
    I remember the van. It was parked in front of the pool next to the food. I doubt I ever even looked at the
    tags. I do remember the dude kept walking around humming Old McDonald.

Why doesn't the local authorities or the FBI give the cause of death?

Images

Because it is an active investigation and certain details will be kept secret.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Why doesn't the local authorities or the FBI give the cause of death?
    The FBI looks to be standing by its its position that quote "it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted". And that quote, "hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail".

While I can't help but wonder if the investigators would share that same advise were their own child walking the Trail alone (or with a friend-- the most of the murders on the AT were of
    a pair), it is noteworthy that this advise was not only offered to the hiking community on the 19th, but also restated yesterday.

As such, I have to think that it must be well considered and vetted by the investigative team.

I hope so, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfred View Post
    No he could be a harmless person with some problems but he did make threats and if you read the SUSPECT HIKER THREAD you will see he has threatened others too . Just givin info ...
    I agree with your statement somewhat. Having had a personal experience with Papa Smurf aka Teardrop, It would be unlikely that he is a "harmless person with some problems". Yes, he does have problems (mental) but he is by no means "harmless" he attacked my son with a large stick, hitting him in the head. He becomes very violent when he has been drinking, which is anytime he can con someone into buying it or when he gets his government check on the 1st of the month. He stayed with us a couple of weeks and during that period I grew more and more tenuous about him. There was never a time I worried to much about it because I knew my son was protecting me. But I feared for others he might come in contact with. He is a transient, has no permanent living arrangements and is wanted in GA, NY and PA. Let the warrants speak for his personality.

2010 complete

so the guy is wanted in ga, ny and pa? I assume it's from the complaints lodged against him in regards to his behavior on the appalachian trail, which were reported. How hard is it to find an alcoholic, drifter, toublemaker on the AT?? Did each state just ignore the problem and let the next state deal with this guy? I surely hope not. What is our recourse for the safety of our hikers? Knowing that there are warrants out on this guy, I certainly hope he wasn't involved with this homicide.

Default Troubling

This is all so troubling. Was planning to section hike this w/e in VA. I hate to mention this but Amherst Co. is where female college student, Morgan Harrington was found murdered in Oct 2010. Hope there isn't a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The FBI looks to be standing by its its position that quote "it is important for the public to be aware that no information has been developed by these agencies that would lead investigators to believe other hikers would be targeted". And that quote, "hikers are encouraged to continue exercising the usual precautions while on any trail".

While I can't help but wonder if the investigators would share that same advise were their own child walking the Trail alone (or with a friend-- the most of the murders on the AT were of
    a pair), it is noteworthy that this advise was not only offered to the hiking community on the 19th, but also restated yesterday.
    I'll cut the FBI some slack. Yes, it's true that they may give their kids hiking in the area different advice, but not the same as making a public statement. They have to walk a tight line in the same way meterologist have to when predicting storm intensities and such. No exact science to either, but experience tells them that there's a micro-fine line between pissing off a unrealistic public by either "downplaying" or "hyping" a given situation.

And let's not forget we just don't know what they know.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++