WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

Only one thing is for sure: Whichever one you own, everyone else is going to look like either a dinosaur or a risk-taking fool.

Tarptents are pretty affordable and have pretty decent resale value, so you're not out too much money if you try one and just can't make it work. If you can make it work, the Tarptent is a good choice for a lighter load on a thru hike. My Contrail performed perfectly on my AT thru and other hikes before and since.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Not a hubba, but i love my carbon reflex ... its been nothing but great from east coast storms to west coast sand ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Images

Anybody used a Montbell Crescent 2 I like the way it sets up but the front entrance looks like its kind of a challenge. I am seriously looking into getting a Lightheart tent hoping that the cost will be well worth it.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I own both a TarpTent Moment, and a Hubba. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a Hubba first. Now, keep in mind that TarpTents are high-quality and light-weight tents. However, I don't like the misting that I get during heavy rain. I have since re-seam-sealed, and even sprayed my Moment with Atsko Silicone Water Guard. This has helped quite a bit, but it's still not as water-tight as the Hubba.
    Last edited by Red Beard; 09-04-2011 at 09:49.

Ummm.... Bathtub bottom+bug net+tarp=tent in my eyes. Do your own thing. These tents are like big bivys anyway only in a freestanding mode.

I own a Hubba and a Tarptent. I used to be against the Tarptent because of the moisture but then figured it out. The only thing to consider is when you get to the Whites and have to use the tent pad. I use my double rainbow as my solo. You can pitch the tarptent on the tent pads but you have to get creative with guylines. Both are a great choice

Images

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rabbit View Post
    Ummm.... Bathtub bottom+bug net+tarp=tent in my eyes. Do your own thing. These tents are like big bivys anyway only in a freestanding mode.

yes i agree. once you add up all of the ounces you end up with something that is as heavy ( or even few ounces more ) then a tarptent. i use a tarptent moment. i also have a homemade tarp but i hardly use it now.

having said that; to each his own.

27 posts...shouldn't somebody by now suggest a hammock or sleep with a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    27 posts...shouldn't somebody by now suggest a hammock or sleep with a dog?
    Sleep in a hammock with a dog forget the tent
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Anybody used a Montbell Crescent 2 I like the way it sets up but the front entrance looks like its kind of a challenge. I am seriously looking into getting a Lightheart tent hoping that the cost will be well worth it.
    I used to have the Crescent 1 and got rid of it because the moisture build up was so bad. Might be better on the 2, but after spending a few very wet nights in that tent I decided to go with the Hubba.

Images

forget the tent/hammock ... use garbage bags suspended by rope ....

i know i seen that video somewhere, anyone got the link? lol

P.S I wouldn't recommend this method, but no one else has suggested it yet.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

For me the main benefit of something like a Hubba over say a Contrail would be the luxary to pick less than ideal campsites because you have the added protection of something like the Hubba, which has a 5000mm coating on the floor. Also, you are not as dependent on good soil to hold stakes, and your shelter doesn't 'require' stakes to keep it functional. So if you wake up at 3am in a downpour and find your campsite isn't draining water properly and there are some puddles under your floor, it's not a huge deal. Those same puddles can be 'pushed' through a standard silnylon floor.

But it's certainly heavier, and has less room, which is always the knock on traditional tents. You could also look at something like a Fly Creek 1 by Big Agnes to split the difference, I have the Copper Spur 1 and love it.

For the 'ultralight' tent manufacturers...I think it's tough to beat Lightheart Gear, they use a much higher waterproof rating of silnylon, you don't tend to hear about misting and they offer a double wall tent in the standard solo. They also have no wait time on the solo, it ships tomorrow.

But many people absolutely love Tarptent and Six Moon Designs...so they are all worthy of a a look, and Mountain Laurel Designs and Yama Mountain Gear hae great stuff as well.

I will put a +1 for the Rainbow, i am going through the same decision right now.

What got the Rainbow for me was that it is almost twice as wide (i like to have my pack inside and the option of zero days in the rain) and the weight difference.

I had tried lying in a Hubba and it felt like a coffin, not comfortable IMO

Tarptent! I have a Moment, and love it. Superlight, couldn't be easier to set up... Love it.
    Nick Wilson

Images

I hiked the whole way this year with my Hubba. Used it a fair bit but not nearly as much as I was expecting. I was envious of the weight savings of going with a Tarptent. I have decided to go with a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for my next tent (tarp?). Seems to me it combines the light weight of a tarptent with bug netting and bathtub floor of a tent. That being said...the Hubba did work beautifully the entire trip. No issues whatsoever. And i have one of the original Hubbas...maybe 6 years old? Still going strong.

Lots of people dont use a groundsheet for Tarptents and they say they hardly are ever in for repair. Also I got a tyvek groundsheet so its super light.

Hubba....have used and slept in both...no comparison.

geek

Hubba....have used and slept in both...no comparison.<br><br>geek

I used a Hubba HP in 2009. Pretty much bombproof but a bit heavy. Since then, switched to a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo. It's lighter and has more room. Single wall and not self-supporting but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I prefer side entrance models since their so much easier getting in and out of. Never much cared for crawling in and out of a tube......

Finally made a purchase! I went with the hubba. Not too thrilled about the size and weight, but it seems like its a pretty bombproof setup. I will be testing this weekend! Thanks for all the advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++