WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: tarps (again)

Default tarps (again)

i spent some time yesterday reading archives about tarps. i still have more questions though. the flying diamond, or wedge, shape seems to be most popular --- very spacious, and easy to set up. how do you prevent water from running down the line into the tarp? also, if you had one tarp for the a.t., which would it be, why? is square better than rectangle? do you prefer tie outs on the body in addition to the edges? do you think a flat tarp is more versatile than a catentary (sp?) cut tarp? or how about tarps that are already preshaped (ie: the cave or lair)? i'm thinking of a tarp as a primary shelter. thanks.

Images

Default Tarps

Hi Denise, The MAC Cat Deluxe,
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/5
    They don't get any better. Set them "up" to eat under or "drop" them down as necessary in a storm.

My Tarp weighs about 12oz and the Speer Hammock complete weighs 15.5oz.

You sew, you could make both.

Tie a short piece of string to the guy line just before the attachment point. Most of the water will follow that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TDale
    Tie a short piece of string to the guy line just before the attachment point. Most of the water will follow that.
    Also: I usually tie it just under the tarp, about 2" in out of the rain. One of the rare times I would suggest cotton in a backpacking context, I use an old cotton shoestring as it (seems to) draw the water better. You only need a few inches.
    I carry 2, for when I might use the "A frame" set up. Never have used the A frame except in the back yard, but I am prepared.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Check out Tarptent's Virga (www.tarptent.com). It's provides a sweet crib for only 19 ounces! Rainproof, bugproof, well-ventilated, and spacious. What else would you ask for in a tarp.

--BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

I use an Oware tarp. It is 8x10. I have guy points on the inside as well as edges. This tarp I can set up in many different ways. My favorite way is actually on my journal's website. Go to my link in my signature and click on Photos. You will see how I have it set up. It is pretty storm proof. I have set it up like an A frame once and it did ok. It just didnt have as great of open space as I would have liked.
    "After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on—have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear—what remains? Nature remains." -Walt Whitman

Captain Chaos
    http://www.trailjournals.com/captainchaos/

I would ask that a tarp be able to be pitched to the ground for bad weather. You cannot do that with the Virga tarptent.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikeLite
    I would ask that a tarp be able to be pitched to the ground for bad weather. You cannot do that with the Virga tarptent.
    http://www.biblertents.com/2002/beta_light.html
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

++ New Posts ++