WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Status on AT access via Success Pond Road in NH

I was wondering if anyone knew the status of Success Pond Road after Hurricane Irene? I am looking to get out to the blue blazed trail up to the AT at Carlo Col. I know that the East side entrance up in Maine has been closed - I am coming from Berlin on the west side.

The caretaker at Speck Pond said the road was washed out pretty good up at that end. 4WD truck with high clearance could do it, but don't risk anything else. (Passed by the pond yesterday, on the way to Grafton Notch - my knees are still barking!).

You might be okay up to the Carlo Col side trail, about 8 miles in. That end has more traffic and is generally in better condition, but it's a bumpy ride at the best of times. Take it real slow. I'm not sure if there is any logging going on along that road right now, but if there is, be ready to dodge!

You might want to wait for this latest round of rain to pass by before heading up here, though now it looks like we won't be nailed too bad this time around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a jeep so hopefully that will get me up to the side trail to Carlo Col. Even if I only get as far as the Success Trail, it will only add 1.8 miles to the day going NOBO.

I spoke to the Berlin Fire Department this morning and a firefighter there has a camp out off of Success Pond Road. He said it is fine out about seven miles and does get a little dicey after that but us passable by 4WD.

Here is a post from Views From The Top regarding the road. http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=41414. The current washout is on the most easterly trailhead along the road so all the trailheads appear to be accessible from the west end. There were reports prior to the hurricane damage that the road was gated and locked on the east end (RT 26) so there may be additional damage east of this washout.

A general note is that the firm that owns Success township is rapidly running out of wood (after clearcutting the area for several years). They have been maintaining the road system that usually has yearly spring time damage. It is highly likely that the over the next several years, vehicle access may be lost from the west end as there will be no incentive or income to maintain the roads. A different landowner owns the east end plus there are camps on Success Pond so access from east may be maintained

++ New Posts ++