WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pack Weight

Images

Default Pack Weight

What is the average weight of a fully packed backpack for a 6 day 60 mile hike? For starters my basics start with my empty pack at 3 lbs-1 oz, my tent is 4 lbs (I prefer a two man to better fit my 6'2"-210 lb body), and my sleeping bag is also 4 lbs. (Synthetic filled x-tra long - 80") Total starting weight 11 lbs....

Images

You will get as many different weights as there are people responding. Every one is different. Depends a lot on how many luxuries you carry. I just did a six day in Pa. and had a total of 36 pounds with food and water. I ended up bringing 4 pounds of food and almost a pound of fuel back home. Still haven't got a handle on how much I'll eat.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Based on watching JMT hikers, I'd say about 65 pounds.

Images

check the articles section on the home page as far as packing lists go. If you want opinions, you'll hear everything from 12 lbs to 50 lbs.make a list of the things you absolutely cant live without, then find a way to live without them find items that will serve more than one purpose,if you cant wear all the clothes in your pack at the same time, you're carrying too much clothing.. generally, you shouldnt carry more than 1/3 of your body weight.

Noob

I'm 6'3", 205 so we are similar body sizes. I took a 5 day trip about a month ago and my pack was 38 pounds with food, fuel and water. I also carried a two man tent. I'd think no more than 40 would be a decent weight unless you're a gram weenie.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

'base weight' means the amount your gear weights (pack weight not including food/water). Reasonable base weights are USUALLY between 5 and 15 pounds for long distance hiking. For shorter trips, higher pack weights make a lot more sense.

Food is ABOUT 2 pounds a day, depending on the person, temperature, etc.

Water weighs 2 pounds a liter. You'll carry 0-2 liters most of the time.

so starting weight should be around 30 pounds, give or take a bit.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

I've pared down my pack list - not just items, but item weights - and I'm sitting at around 9.6 lbs in base weight - sans tent and knife, as hubby is carrying those.

Add in 1-man shelter and knife, and I'm sitting around 12.5 lbs max base weight.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

I weigh in at about 35#'s. Obviously, I'm no record breaker, but for me that weight is very attainable. I talkin' bout 4-nights out, five days hiking. My food runs 1.25# per day. My tent is about 3.0#. My sleeping bag is 2.50#. My clothes including raincoat are about 5.0#, that depends on the season. I try not to pack too much random bull**** but it adds up fast. Water is a variable. I carry two .70# liter bottles for trail water and I have a 2.0 liter bladder that I fill either at camp or prior to camp depending on the plan that day. PS, I don't really make a firm "camp plan" until sometime after lunch. Good luck.
    virgil

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You've got heavy stuff so the pack weight is going to easily surpass 40 lb, imo. You can get a two man tent for a good 1 to 1 1/2 lb less, a slepeing bag for 1 1/2 pound less to save 3 bls right there. My base weight for an early spring / late fall hike of the big three is around 7lb, and that includes a 15 degree bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Just Hitting My Stride!

My base weight is 9.1 lbs with the big three items weighing in at 5.6 lbs. Add 2 lbs of food per day for 6 days and 1 liter of water (2 lbs) plus a 2 lb. BV450 BearVault and I'm carrying 25 lbs. Sure would like to get rid of that bear cannister but I can't handle the fine.

About 10-12 lbs before food and water.

In my opinion, Rocky Racoon, your pack weight is way too heavy. Your empty pack weighs as much as my empty pack plus my sleeping bag plus my shelter.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

25 soaking wet

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

36 pounds all in with the exception of water. I am probably going to shave the weight by a couple of pounds because I was undecided on clothing. That is with 7 days of food in a bear cannister. I opt to carry the can because I am a germaphobe when it comes to my food and I don't want mice digging around in it.

I'm looking to do my thru next year with a base weight of 12-13lbs. Add in another couple pounds for winter clothing at the start and near the end of the hike. I'm hoping to keep total weight below 30lbs by the time I add in water and food. My last six day trip (north GA in April) I was at 25lbs with everything. I'm adding in a little more stuff (for comfort and hygiene) for my thru plus extra food weight once the hunger hits. I normally do one or two night trips at ~18lbs.

Hey. Canadian girl ..where in the nwt r u ? I have driven thur the yukon many times and my god is it beautiful !

Images

You guys carry so much food!!!!! Hiking kills my appetite. I have to make myself eat. I don't eat breakfast, lunch is crackers and snickers bar and for dinner I eat a dehydrated vegetarian meal. And I generally eat my crackers and snickers and thats it for the day. Sometimes i wake up really hungry, but as soon as I start hiking again I don't want food. LOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    Hey. Canadian girl ..where in the nwt r u ? I have driven thur the yukon many times and my god is it beautiful !
    I'm in Hay River a little east of the Yukon. I drove thru it last year on my way to Alaska. Very beautiful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    You guys carry so much food!!!!! Hiking kills my appetite. I have to make myself eat. I don't eat breakfast, lunch is crackers and snickers bar and for dinner I eat a dehydrated vegetarian meal. And I generally eat my crackers and snickers and thats it for the day. Sometimes i wake up really hungry, but as soon as I start hiking again I don't want food. LOL
    I'm with you on lack of appetite, but I find if I don't force myself to eat I get tired. So I have a shake for breakfast, peanut butter and wrap for lunch, gorp and cheese and sausage for snacks and a nice filling meal for supper. With spearmint tea of course.

It takes me abt 2 weeks to get an apetite my first thru I was a youngster haha and ate a ton it seems now I don't eat as much on a long hike .....I did the chilkkot as well canadaingirl ..superb....I gotta say whitehorse may b the most beautful place on the planet or maybe tht wld b haines junction ..geez ..the only places I have been that compete w alaska

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    It takes me abt 2 weeks to get an apetite my first thru I was a youngster haha and ate a ton it seems now I don't eat as much on a long hike .....I did the chilkkot as well canadaingirl ..superb....I gotta say whitehorse may b the most beautful place on the planet or maybe tht wld b haines junction ..geez ..the only places I have been that compete w alaska
    I loved hiking the chilkoot, we finished and I would have turned around and done it again. It was absolutely beautiful. I love Alaska. Whitehorse is on my list of places to live after I'm finished my stint here. I loved Haines Junction too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++