WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kennebec Ferry in Maine Closed; Swatara Creek Bridge in PA closed

The A.T. ferry service across Maine’s Kennebec River has been shut down until further notice. The river is running dangerously high and fast and water levels continue to rise. Conditions are being monitored and the service (provided at no charge to A.T. hikers by ATC and the Maine A.T. Club) will be restored when safe to do so. Other stream and river crossings may be dangerous or impassible. Be prepared to wait for water levels to subside. Carry maps in case you need to backtrack and find a road that provides a safe crossing. The canoe ferry has been the official route of the A.T. across the Kennebec since 1987.

We also got this news from Angel Croll, Park Manager for Swatara State Park today:

"I observed the AT bridge in Swatara State Park this morning. The bottom support is underwater and the creek is expected to continue to rise. I will contact you regarding it’s condition once the water has receded. In the meanwhile, it’s closed."

Check www.appalachiantrail.org/updates for additional postings.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

NBHiker

Does anyone know if a shuttle service will be available to get thru-hikers across the Kennebec?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Carry maps in case you need to backtrack and find a road that provides a safe crossing.
    So many times the question is asked "do I need maps on the AT?" This is a time to be glad if you do.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by NBHiker View Post
    Does anyone know if a shuttle service will be available to get thru-hikers across the Kennebec?
    Not likely - as they say in Maine "Ya can't get tha from hah". Its one big detour to get around - basically skipping the Bigelow's entirely. My rough guess is it's over 60 miles one way. The only bridge I can see on my maps is down at Bigham, some 24 miles south of Caratunk and about 36 miles from Stratton.

Anyone caught on the south side of the river will have to hike back to RT 16. Thankfully, they don't have to go back over the Bigelow's, there is a dirt road which goes back to the main highway at Carrabassett in about 6 miles. The trail crosses this road a few miles south of Jerome brook lean-to.

It would be nice if some local with a power boat could do the suttles across the river in the mean time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This sounds like quite the problem.
    I know for myself, I wouldn't have much food left in my pack.
    Maybe some trail angels would set up some kind of shuttle, or at least some food placed on the South side.

Maybe one of those many raft companies in Maine could be paid to shuttle hikers via raft.

By the way, I don't see how the AT maps would help in this situation.
    Maybe a DeLorme Gazetteer of Maine.

Maybe one of those camps on the lake about 3 miles south of there can accommodate some hungry hikers.

If I still lived in Maine, I'd take my whitewater kayak up and at least bring some food over.

Hovercraft?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Using Google Earth, I was able to see a network of logging roads starting near the Kennebec which would eventually lead down to Bingham. An AT map would not be of any help figuring out which road branch to take to find one's way through the maze, as it's a good 20 miles away. Without a marked route it would be real easy to get lost.

Man, I'd really hate to get to the river and find no way across, as no matter how you cut it, it's a long way back to somewhere and likely without a whole lot of food left.

Harrison Pierce Pond Camp is nearby. If the ferry service doesn't start up in a few days, someone is going to have to make arrangements to bail out there.

Hopefully Harrisons has plenty of food available. (that the place I was thinking of)
    I would think they could fly a plane into that lake.
    Interesting and tough times in the east USA this year, aye?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Looks like a fairly temporary inconvenience for some. The rain has stopped and the water is receding slowly.
    From the USGS water flow site, Kennebec:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01042500
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Hopefully Harrisons has plenty of food available. (that the place I was thinking of)
    I would think they could fly a plane into that lake.
    Interesting and tough times in the east USA this year, aye?
    I just read or heard that a plane can be cheaper, or not much more, than a car shuttle. A plane would be an awesome way to get shuttled around.

Images

Default Not so fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Using Google Earth, I was able to see a network of logging roads starting near the Kennebec which would eventually lead down to Bingham. An AT map would not be of any help figuring out which road branch to take to find one's way through the maze, as it's a good 20 miles away. Without a marked route it would be real easy to get lost.

Man, I'd really hate to get to the river and find no way across, as no matter how you cut it, it's a long way back to somewhere and likely without a whole lot of food left.
    The Maine A.T. maps have directions on them (on the back) on how to reach points and trailheads on the A.T. using a vehicle. That is a l-o-o-n-g haul but the directions are there for you to adapt.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

I just used Google Maps and was amused to see that it puts Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps inside the town of Caratunk. However, the PO is in the right place.. unlike the directions in the AWOL book, which led me to walk a mile or two out of my way..

Quote Originally Posted by seabrookhiker View Post
    I just used Google Maps and was amused to see that it puts Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps inside the town of Caratunk. However, the PO is in the right place.. unlike the directions in the AWOL book, which led me to walk a mile or two out of my way..
    Google uses the mailing address, not the physical location. Anyone know if the ferry is running again.

Default Kennebec Ferry and Swatara Creek Bridge re-opened

The Kennebec Ferry service has resumed and the Swatara Creek Bridge has re-opened to hikers, although it did sustain some minor damage. We just got a report from AMC - Connecticut with more issues there than anticipated. We should have more updates at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates posted tomorrow.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    The Maine A.T. maps have directions on them (on the back) on how to reach points and trailheads on the A.T. using a vehicle. That is a l-o-o-n-g haul but the directions are there for you to adapt.
    The MATC Maps are the finest kind. I wish the other sets were as comprehensive and accurate. Great job, MATC!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    The MATC Maps are the finest kind. I wish the other sets were as comprehensive and accurate. Great job, MATC!
    Agree. I also found the NY maps quite accurate as well (the older versions actually).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++