WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default anybody read "The Call of Katahdin" or "Chimney Pond Tales"?

someone gave me a tag sale copy of "the Call of Katahdin". What a great story about a couple that move to Maine in 1947. I haven't been to Katahdin yet, but it sure makes me want to go (planning for end of October...) The author, Ed Werler, mentions another book -- "Chimney Pond Tales, Yarns told by Leroy Dudley." Anybody read either?
    Lazarus

I havent read Dudley's book but get the impression that its more of a childrens book with "tall tales".

I assume you know that after October 15th getting up Katahdin is lot more difficult than prior to 15th and that none of the campgrounds are open? Definitely worth moving up your plans to prior to the 15th as it can get pretty cold and nasty up there in late October. Many of the campsites have bunkhouses that are equipped with wood stoves and are real handy to take the chill off. Alternatively the cabins at Daicey Pond and Kidney Pond also have woodstoves and gas lamps. All are closed from October 15 to December 1st. It looks like there are plenty of spots open for the last week prior to the 15th. The park is open for day use after the 15th subject to restrictions but the drive to the nearest camping place outside the park makes for a long day.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

I have both books in my collection. Leroy Dudley was, as some know, a legendary Katahdin guide and caretaker at Chimney Pond in the first part of the 20th century. He was a gifted storyteller in a homespun sort of way and he would tell tall tales about Pamola and other aspects of the mountain and woods life. Some of these stories were recorded on wax cylinders (an early recording device) and the author transcribed them and published the book to save the stories from being lost forever. The book is worth reading by Katahdin buffs or anyone interested in folklore and a tale well told.
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I havent read Dudley's book but get the impression that its more of a childrens book with "tall tales".

I assume you know that after October 15th getting up Katahdin is lot more difficult than prior to 15th and that none of the campgrounds are open? Definitely worth moving up your plans to prior to the 15th as it can get pretty cold and nasty up there in late October. Many of the campsites have bunkhouses that are equipped with wood stoves and are real handy to take the chill off. Alternatively the cabins at Daicey Pond and Kidney Pond also have woodstoves and gas lamps. All are closed from October 15 to December 1st. It looks like there are plenty of spots open for the last week prior to the 15th. The park is open for day use after the 15th subject to restrictions but the drive to the nearest camping place outside the park makes for a long day.
    thanks -- actually, it is more of a build-up suspense trip to katahdin for me -- I'll just be hiking the 100 mile wilderness northbound and ending at abol bridge... so i'll see katahdin for the first time. i'll be saving the climb itself for another year or two from now when i've completed the rest of the trail. I'll be there on November 2nd or so... and I will have my winter gear!
    Lazarus

I'm holding " Chimney Pond Tales " in my hand right now . In it is a letter to Dad , ( now almost 104 years old ) from Jane Thomas , the artist .
    Dad first climed Katadin when he was a student at Bates College , in Lisbon , Maine . Probably in the mid - 20s . He knew Leroy Dudley well , having
    climbed Katahdin while he ( Dudley ) was there a half - dozen times . Dudley was killed in 1942 , run over by a Logging Truck .
    Maurice Day was at Katahdin sent by Disney to do reasearch - drawings for the up - coming movie " BAMBI " . 1933 . He did the original sketch of
    Pamola after listening to Dudley . It is included in the book . A lot of the tales are of people Dudley met at Chimney Pond while stationed there ;
    quite similar to Winton Porter's " Just Passin'Thru " . The stories are loved by children , of course ; but they were first told to visitors to Chimney Pond
    during the period from the late 1800s 'till 1942 , mostly of course , adults who could hike in there . ( There was no road in to Roaring Brook as there is now ! )
    I think all hikers / climbers would enjoy it . [ Of course , if you are in such a hurry to get back down that you never go down to Chimney Pond , the experience
    won't be the same !! ]

David V. Webber

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post
    I'm holding " Chimney Pond Tales " in my hand right now . In it is a letter to Dad , ( now almost 104 years old ) from Jane Thomas , the artist .
    Dad first climed Katadin when he was a student at Bates College , in Lisbon , Maine . Probably in the mid - 20s . He knew Leroy Dudley well , having
    climbed Katahdin while he ( Dudley ) was there a half - dozen times . Dudley was killed in 1942 , run over by a Logging Truck .
    Maurice Day was at Katahdin sent by Disney to do reasearch - drawings for the up - coming movie " BAMBI " . 1933 . He did the original sketch of
    Pamola after listening to Dudley . It is included in the book . A lot of the tales are of people Dudley met at Chimney Pond while stationed there ;
    quite similar to Winton Porter's " Just Passin'Thru " . The stories are loved by children , of course ; but they were first told to visitors to Chimney Pond
    during the period from the late 1800s 'till 1942 , mostly of course , adults who could hike in there . ( There was no road in to Roaring Brook as there is now ! )
    I think all hikers / climbers would enjoy it . [ Of course , if you are in such a hurry to get back down that you never go down to Chimney Pond , the experience
    won't be the same !! ]

David V. Webber

...and i will be holding a copy in a few days! just ordered a used copy for $1.50... looking forward to reading that now that I've finished "the call..."
    Lazarus

One of my favorite tales , ( of those not about PAMOLA , the mean Indian Mountain Spirit , ) is called : " The Man With The Green Hat " . He says he has climbed
    the Matterhorn , Mt. Mckinley and Mt. Hood . He is planning to do Everest next . He claims Katahdin is just an " ant - hill ". However , when he comes to the
    small notch between Pamola Peak and Chimney Peak , he panics and freezes - up . Dudley has to physically place each hand and foot for him to progress .
    ( My yonger brother did the whole thing when he was six . Youngest in the register at the time . Picture or our group in the AT Museum . ) Then , when the guy
    gets to the Knife Edge , he is so scared that he sits down and straddles it , and hitches his way along , six inches at a time !! He eats ONLY large quanties of
    dried fruit , which make him very thirsty . David V. Webber

Images

Pamola wasn't mean. Just misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Pamola wasn't mean. Just misunderstood.
    I'm sorry ! I'm a big fan of PAMOLA . It is just that the indians said Katahdin had two spirits , one friendly and Pamola .
    I just couldn't come up with the proper word ! David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...and i will be holding a copy in a few days! just ordered a used copy for $1.50... looking forward to reading that now that I've finished "the call..."
    Same here. Just ordered both from www.alibris.com. One signed by the illustrator. They were about $10 each. I paid the extra bit to get a signed copy. Thanks to the OP for mentioning these two "AT" (close enough) books.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

[QUOTE=Rain Man;1200145]Same here. Just ordered both from www.alibris.com. One signed by the illustrator. They were about $10 each. I paid the extra bit to get a signed copy. Thanks to the OP for mentioning these two "AT" (close enough) books.

Actually , at first , the AT went around Pamola and into Chimney Pond . I don't remember exactly when it was changed .

I'm such a fan of Pamola I've even been in his house 3 or 4 times ; ( Pamola Caves . )

++ New Posts ++