WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Aquamira/Water Collection Tips

I'm finally dropping the Katadyn Hiker Pro to go with Aquamira water treatment drops. However, I'm concerned as to how to actually get the water into my 3L bladder. It's easy to just stick a hose in the bladder and pump away (have at it, trolls!). So, do I just submerge the bladder into the water or use a plastic bag and filter the water through my bandanna?

What do you do?

Just fill 'er up any way that works. If pool of water is shallow, I use my bowl to collect water and then dump into bladder. If there are floaties, (I usually don't care) but I might dump water from bowl, through bandana, into bladder. Springs with pipe, just let water flow right into bladder.

I use a combination of a 4L Platypus water tank with a big zipper opening and the 1.8L platy hydration bladder. I'll open the zipper to fill the tank and treat in there. If the spring isn't piped, I try to find where it's coming over a rock so I can fill it. Usually very little "stuff" gets in this way -- if I need to scoop I'll use my pot and a bandanna over the opening to the water tank. You could then pour from the tank into the bladder.

Platypus at one point sold a connector like this which I use to then fill the 1.8L while it's still in my pack.

Reason I do it this way is I'll collect and treat around 4L water when I get into camp for the night, giving me enough water for the night and morning as well as a full load to start with in the morning.

Depending on the level, I carry a small Squishy Bowl and dip water into my bladder. As long as you don't act like an elephant at the water source you shouldn't have any problems with floaties.

80962.jpg
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-08-2011 at 16:18.

Garlic
    Images

Like Pyroman, I keep a plastic cup near the top of my pack for a couple of reasons, like eating and dipping into springs and puddles. I also keep handy a recycled one-liter gatorade or water bottle, since AM likes to mix with one liter of water. I also carry a bandanna, but have only used it a few times for water--I usually don't mind the floaties if they're not moving. If they do move, the Aquamira kills them pretty fast. I carry a 2-liter platypus, but seldom used it on the AT.

On the AT, you can play games at trickles with rhododendron leaves and rocks and make a flume to fill up your bottle. Those who follow you will appreciate and admire your efforts, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ..... On the AT, you can play games at trickles with rhododendron leaves and rocks and make a flume to fill up your bottle. Those who follow you will appreciate and admire your efforts, too.
    That is a neat trick garlic08. A 3/8" sink supply line found at your local home improvement store works great too. Simple and lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    As long as you don't act like an elephant at the water source you shouldn't have any problems with floaties.
    Now that made me laugh out loud!! True dat!

Same here, Ill pack in a small bottle of water, 23 oz or so and use it as my gatorade bottle along with a 2L Platy. If you know you are hiking in a dry area, cheesecloth!

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Use my cup to dip and pour through a bandanna into a Gator Aid bottle. then into my platy and treat then into my bladder and/or other Gator Aid bottle. If is comming out a pipe or free flowing I just drtink it.
    Alcohol was involved!

++ New Posts ++