WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Pondering Tent color - who knew

I have never really given tent color any thought. I have convinced myself to order a Lightheart tent and you can select the color you want. So, two thoughts crossed my mind. Do I want a colored tent like orange, red, lime green, etc that can be seen or do I want a tent that blends in for more of a stealth camping option. I now have totally over thought the issue and wanted to throw this out there for some input. I was actually thinking blaze orange with a blue bottom you know Florida Gator colors cause their my team. Give me WB wisdom please.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I use a tent that blends in and is hard to see, and a rain jacket that is as bright as possible so that I have something that is easy to see in case of emergency.

Noob

Having had a very bright yellow tent and now have a much more stealthy one, go with the stealthy one.

Images

Many who wish to reduce their impact on the environment opt for the more natural colored tent, claiming that they like a color which blends in with the surroundings and looks less out of place. It's a personal preference really. Although I did recently hear that bears are attracted to bright colored tents

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mine is bright yellow. It's the only color it comes in. Used it SOBO. No issues with bears or anything else. My tent doesn't "impact" the environment anymore then a green tent would. Get the tent you want.

264.jpg
    Last edited by Blissful; 09-12-2011 at 19:58.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am all about the 4 F's -- Form, Fit and Function (the other F is Fashion) when I was looking for a tent it was all about the first 3, and I was not looking at the colors. if the tent I wanted came with color options, I would go for the one that blended in the best. I think I would get tired of looking at a bright yellow tent, But as the saying goes, HYOH.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I was actually thinking blaze orange with a blue bottom you know Florida Gator colors cause their my team.
    You KNOW that would make you happy. Go for it.

Of course, I will think it's for the Fighting Illini...........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Noob

I might be careful with Florida colors for the tent while in SEC country. Who know what one of us nice Bama fans might hang on it to attract bears. :-D

Folks will think Gator Gump is back on the trail.........

Images

they might mistake you for a NY Met fan.

Images

Thanks for the input and you made me laugh too.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow guess what we discussed this thread before - synopsis... bright colors do attract bears in ALASKA as does old bear spray.... when they introduced Condors to the lower Grand Canyon, the juveniles thought the bright tents were something to tear up....Here is the worst thing

Backpacker Magazine - has a few "asses" that can' remember that they contradict each other... some claim that the bears are color blind and can tell.. folks - COLORBLIND means they MISS a few colors - not all..... so if its neon yellow, and the color blind bear cant see red... you are SOL. And the dork called an EDITOR doesn't remember or cant tell when an article is way off....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-attract-bears

Archived from:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200706130...26,1647,00.htm
    l

The "Blend In" Theory

New research suggests that bear bells don't work, and colorful tents and clothing may attract bruins.

By David Peterson, October 2000

On some nights, Tom Smith has counted up to 30 bears around his tent. Granted, he works in Alaska's Katmai
    National Park, a sanctuary more densely populated with brown bears (grizzlies) than anywhere else on Earth. In
    such close quarters, Smith, a research wildlife ecologist with the U.S. Geological

Survey Alaska Biological Science Center, has instinctively sensed the value of "blending in." Bears, he reasons,
    "are extremely curious animals. Therefore, any novelty in sight, scent, or sound is likely to grab their attention
    and tempt them to investigate."

Smith's logic was dramatically confirmed when his boss ordered a switch to camouflage shelters because he
    didn't like the "visual scar" their garish tents painted on the quiet landscape. "Immediately," says Smith, "bear
    visitation to our camps decreased markedly. It didn't take a genius to realize our bright, yellow-and-blue tents
    had been attracting bears."

No scientific studies had been conducted to test color vision in brown bears (although Alaskan bear biologist
    Kellie Pierce had related that Yupik Eskimos warned him "not to wear red, orange, or other bright colors
    because bears would come and get me"), so Smith undertook a series of zoo trials. His finding: Grizzlies can
    distinguish colors.

Next, out on the tundra, he erected several brightly colored panels. While research is ongoing, preliminary
    results are consistent with Smith's color premise. "At this point in my studies, although more research is needed,
    I believe the safest choice is camouflage," advises Smith.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

LT - You headed to Alaska any time soon?

If not..........

Images

Of course, in order for this to be considered a fact, ALL other variables must be accounted for and ruled out as possible causes of bear attraction. I'd be especially interested in any possible scent differences between fabrics, dyes, washing solutions, storage and use before being put into the bear environment, etc. Remembering that bears have incredible senses of smell, the fact that a bear seems attracted by color may not be what is really happening. Not saying it isn't, but even Smith admits that at this time it's just an anecdotal incident.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

damn the bears, full speed ahead

Images

it doesnt matter what color your tent is if its draped in bacon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    it doesnt matter what color your tent is if its draped in bacon.
    'Zactly !!!!!

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I hate to agree with the LNT freaks, but I like the colors that don't scream; you know the more earthy colors

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post
    Many who wish to reduce their impact on the environment opt for the more natural colored tent, claiming that they like a color which blends in with the surroundings and looks less out of place. It's a personal preference really.
    Agreed. Seems a few years ago, the outdoor culture thought "bright" was the "right" way to go. That all seems to have changed now to the outdoor culture now thinking "blend in" is the better way to go. Think of highway billboards. Or, houses on a mountain side. Which grab your attention? The bright, garish ones. They certainly do impact the visual environment.

So, IMO, it's personal preference. Do you want to be seen and affect the visual environment? Or, do you want to blend in to the natural background? Your choice.

I like the suggestion of taking a bright rain coat if you take a "natural color" tent.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I don't worry about whtat color other folks tents are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++