WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: REI Flash 65

CF97 > Everything Else.

Default REI Flash 65

Anyone have a REI Flash 65 pack? I'm thinking about buying it to replace my much bigger Lowe Alpine 5,400+ cubic inches for my thru-hike.
    I would probably go with the Large 4,150.

http://www.rei.com/product/778468/rei-flash-65-pack
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

I have the 50 and its a great bag. Good price, good weight and if you dont like it return it. Perfect.

Baron
    Images

Everyone seems to love it, at least for it's price. It's a good deal IMO if you're trying to save some cash.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

CF97 > Everything Else.

Thanks for the responses folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    Everyone seems to love it, at least for it's price. It's a good deal IMO if you're trying to save some cash.
    That will be the story of my hike.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

Default All Smiles

I highly suggest the flash if that is the price range you are looking to stay in. I have fallen in love with mine. Light, comfy, and the shovel pocket is my best friend . Plus like someone already said, you can return it at REI with no problem if it doesnt work for you.
    "The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hands of man."

Philip at sectionhiker.com wrote a review of this pack at http://sectionhiker.com/rei-flash-65-backpack/

Images

I love my Flash 65, has plenty of room for section hiking and compresses down nicely for overnighters. It's one of the most comfortable packs I've worn. My only caution is to be careful not to overload it. Any more than 30-35 lbs and the frame sheet starts to deform, especially if you have a full water bladder in the pocket. As long as you're somewhat weight conscious it's a great pack for the money.

There is an excellent review of this gear from a PCT hiker in the pack description on the REI website.

Images

Well, here’s a negative report. I am waiting for my next trip to an REI to return my FLASH 65 Large. Here’s a discussion I started relating to the issue I have with it. Also, recently, I discovered that the sewing on the waist belt on one end where it attached to the pack has started to come loose.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68328-Pack-(REI-Flash-65)-Help-Needed&p=1095986&highlight=

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Love my flash 65, just got back from hiking three weeks on the LT with it! Great price, well made and it has a very fair price. I also hiked with the flash during the summer of 2010. I don't have any negative feedback for you, best back pack I've owned.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I put a whole bunch of miles on my flash 65 and cut tons of stuff off of it. It is comfortable and fairly light... but it is HUGE. I think the flash 50 is a better hike for a thru.

Images

Here's a Flash 65 question. I read the review where you can remove the lid. Does any have the actual weight of the lid? I am looking at this for my son who still wants a little bigger pack, but is looking to make it flexible and keep the support. Can anyone who has one of these offer more than standard weights?

Thanks.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Journal Entries
    Images

I love my flash 65. Intend to use it on the AT in 2012.

Images

I used the flash 65 for a week in August. Did 98 miles with it. It was comfortable and fit my gear nicely. I saw alot of others on the trail too. Definitely reccomend it.

Images

The latest addition to my herd of backpacks was a REI Flash which I snagged at their garage sale recently for $15.83 . Only blemish was a one quarter size tear in a side mesh pocket which can be sewed up . It also needed a bit of TLC , scrubbing with a sponge and some soapy warm water.

Besides the overall lightweight design of the Flash posing a question of durability , the back padding is not what I've become accustomed to with my Osprey packs.
    The specs are 3lbs 2 oz. with the detachable top lid attached . My only concern would be not overloading the pack beyond it's capacity @ 30-35 lbs.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

CF97 > Everything Else.

I tried it on in the store today with about 25 lbs. I'm in between pack sizes and it just didn't fit me right....

Sometimes that happens. I'm right in the middle too and originally got the medium. After a week I returned it for a large and it feels much better.

I went into REI looking for the Osprey backpack, since my Osprey daypack has served me well. It did not feel comfortable. As soon as I put the REI 50 on, it was mine. When I learned how to balance the load, it seems like part of me. If it fits, go for it!

Images

Default Flash 65 with minimalist configuration

The REI website on this product says:
    Quote Originally Posted by REI
    Removable framesheet, stays and top lid let you create a minimalist configuration for incredible weight savings Minimalist configuration weighs a scant 2 lbs
    I am curious about this. Can anyone who has worked with this pack chime in on the minimalist configuration? Specifically, I am looking for specifics on exactly what parts can be removed to save weight, what suspension sacrifices are made, and what is the weight of each of these of these removable items.

FWIW, this pack and the Flash 50 are both 20% off right now....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Images

Default REI Flash 65 Minimalist Configuration: first impressions and weights

Well, our REI return/exchange happened much more quickly than was planned, so we now have a Flash 65 for my son. I have had the opportunity to weigh some of these parts:

Full Pack 62 oz
    Lid 4.1 oz
    Suspension 12 oz

The lid removes easily, still allowing for plenty of gear. There is a non-detachable hyrdation pocket. It could be cut out for a savings of less than an ounce, I would guess.

The suspension also removes easily. It is a long stiff plastic trapezoid insert with 2 integrated stays in sleeves. So you could remove the plastic insert and stays and substitute about 3 oz of foam pad, for a net savings of about 9 oz. You could also remove the aluminum stays from the sleeves. I did not remove or weigh these, but I would estimate they were less than 2.5 oz each.

Without the lid, and with a foam insert, the pack would weight about 53 oz. Not too bad for a 65l pack. I would not recomend this size pack without at least the foam suspension, as there simply would not be sufficient weight transfer to the hips.

Overall, I think it is a great pack for the types of activies my son will be doing. We have his winter base weight down to about 16 lbs, and for that, the pack seems good, and with some room to spare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++