WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Default Amazon Kindle doesn't do well with being bored.

I got bored last night and was playing around with my Kindle.

Next thing I know I'm downloading....

Becoming Odyessa
    Southbound
    How to hike the A.T. (I know... I know... but it was on sale so I figured why not see what kind of info he added)
    Skywalker
    Three Hundred Zeros
    Self-Reliance
    Nourishing Traditions

I just love how easy it is to get your hands on books with this thing. I think it will be coming with me on the AT as i can carry a ton of books for one small piece of weight....

and not to mention the battery last for freaking ever if you keep 3G/Wifi turned off.
    -Jason

While not AT related the funniest hiking book I've read to date is:

"The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White

Cheers!

What! You didn't download "A walk in the woods" ?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    What! You didn't download "A walk in the woods" ?
    I already have a hard copy of that along with many other Bryson books. That man knows how to make you laugh while you read.
    -Jason

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    While not AT related the funniest hiking book I've read to date is:

"The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White

Cheers!
    Looks like I know what I will be doing next time I get bored.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud View Post
    I think it will be coming with me on the AT as i can carry a ton of books for one small piece of weight....

and not to mention the battery last for freaking ever if you keep 3G/Wifi turned off.
    Since you are bored, you might want to do a search on Trail Journals and other blogs. Seems to be a lot of Kindles don't make it past the Smokies with north bounders from what I've been reading.

Be interested to see if any one carried one the whole way.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Since you are bored, you might want to do a search on Trail Journals and other blogs. Seems to be a lot of Kindles don't make it past the Smokies with north bounders from what I've been reading.

Kinda like "candle lanterns" back in the day. A lot started, few (if any) finished.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Kinda like "candle lanterns" back in the day. A lot started, few (if any) finished.
    LOL, mine did in '95. But I used liquid paraffin burning insert. I'm a night reader and loved it. But that was then.

I did read one journal that just finished his thru hike that was kept and sent on a Kindle. So it can be done. Portrait 2011. And on his first day he ran into a frozen Kinickinick. That woman sure gets around.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=340848
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

It's really worth reading the first few pages of "The Cactus Eaters" on Amazon's web site. I read it in paper form.

I recently got a Kindle and like it so far. I was surprised how much reading material is legally available for free. The web browser is lousy, but better than nothing. I like reading on the kindle a lot better than reading on a PC.

I haven't used it on a hike yet. I don't think I'd want to count on it for maps (paper is just more reliable). The 3G 'special' version is $139 with ads and the ads are not very annoying.

A lot of hikers don't make it past the Smokies.. I know of at least two Kindles which made it to Maine and presumally will make it the rest of the way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Heck, a can of Spam has been passed like a relay baton up the trail and made it to Katahdin. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A lot of hikers don't make it past the Smokies.. I know of at least two Kindles which made it to Maine and presumally will make it the rest of the way.
    Here's one that didn't get to Katahdin:

I just wanted to apologize for my extended absence from my entries. I also wanted to confirm that I'm still on the trail and still on track. The reason for my lack of entries is probably due to the nature of the terrain we have been subjected to. I haven't had as much time or energy to sit a write every day. I do however, each day written on paper so I will update asap. I also broke my kindle - knee, right to the face of the poor fella. This added to the complication. I'm alive and well, and smokin' through Maine at the moment.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=359513

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I did read one journal that just finished his thru hike that was kept and sent on a Kindle. So it can be done. Portrait 2011. And on his first day he ran into a frozen Kinickinick. That woman sure gets around.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=340848
    Whoa! Am I reading it right that he wrote and sent it in all on a Kindle? Amazing. I don't even like trying to type the name of a book on that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    The 3G 'special' version is $139 with ads and the ads are not very annoying.
    Yeah I bought the 3G model back when it was $179 or something around that place. No ads. Though I must say I would put up with the ads if I could do it all over again. 179 was the cheapest it sold for when I bought it.
    -Jason

CF97 > Everything Else.

Though it has nothing to do with long distance hiking... you should read Singing Wilderness by Sigurd Olson (See my signature).
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Yeah I bought the 3G model back when it was $179 or something around that place. No ads. Though I must say I would put up with the ads if I could do it all over again. 179 was the cheapest it sold for when I bought it.
    I bought my husband a Kindle with the ads for $119. Turns out the ads can be very useful. A couple months after I bought it, it had an ad for 20% off selected Dell laptops - and I had been looking for a new laptop. Got $120 off.

-FA

Images

you now can check out kindle books from some public libraries....

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    you now can check out kindle books from some public libraries....
    Wonder how that works..... Seems like it would be hard for them to take the book back from you?
    -Jason

Wonder how that works..... Seems like it would be hard for them to take the book back from you?
    Amazon explains how it works HERE. There's a built in expiration just like other borrow of digital content through the library.

I'm curious about how you could use the Kindle at night. Are they backlit?

I've been bringing my iPod Touch on my 3 day hikes but it may last 5 days between charges. I use the Kindle app to read while in my hammock.

Kindles are not backlit. You need an external light source at night. The e-ink display is "just like" reading a paperback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++