WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default any nobo registered nurses hiking next year?

Hi. I'm Lil' Bit and I'll be embarking on a 2012 AT thru-hike. The problem is, I'll be in the middle of an allergy shot regimen. I've been receving them for a year now and I know I'll still need them while I'm on the trail. Instead of having to bounce my vials ahead to a few different allergists/health depts., I'm actually looking to see if there's perhaps a Registered Nurse that will be thru-hiking with me. My immunologists said I would be able to get shots from anyone as long as they're an RN. I would be willing to pay in cash/food for the injections. I receive them twice a week right now but would be able to cut back to once a week or once every 14 days if need be. Please feel free to email me or reply to this post.

Thanks again,
    Lil' Bit

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Why won't they let you give them to yourself? Just watch where they sick you next time and try and copy it yourself?
    -Jason

you can also look for paramedics...if not hiking then maybe nurses or paramedics in towns.

geek

My allergist required a half- hour wait after shots, to watch for reaction. Town- settings would be preferable to wilderness, when it comes to anaphylaxis risks; and probably easier to find someone to push shots. Maybe combine with resupply stops?

I would think you'd be better off waiting until the treatment prorgram is over before attempting a thru-hike. Not only will getting your weekly or so shots be a PITA to arrange, but you'll be exposing yourself to all manor of allergins while on the trail. Though, not knowing what your so allergic to you need such a lengthy treatment program for, I suppose that may or may not be a concern.

Alll in all, a thru-hike is hard enough to pull off, adding this layer of complication just reduces your odds all that much farther.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Just about anyone can be trained to give an allergy shot. If your hiking with someone have them learn how.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Well, I've asked about giving them to myself and though I feel I'm capable of such, I would rather have a pro...I would have an epipen, and from what I've gathered from the nurses who give me shots, I would be able to get my shots only once or twice a month and still be able to maintain my regimen quite easily. So in that respect, I have no problem with bouncing my vials to 5 or 6 offices along the way or having my mom arrange it if necessary, so that I could get them at resupply as needed only to maintain the regimen. I probably should have mentioned that...haha. I backpack often and I grew up on a farm...I can manage my allergies and any nearby allergens, or I can suffer through it. I grew out of my food allergies and I have no bee sting allergies, for example, (yet)...shots may change that. I just graduated so there's no really better time for me to do this thru-hike. So that's happening either way lol. Thanks for the input, guys! Any more is definitely appreciated!

Images

try the drops much easier than shots and in my opinion just as effective easy to carry not much weight and they dont require refrigeration ask your allegerist about drops

I forgot that they gave that option now! I've been taking these for so long...haha. I started before the drops came out. That would make my life much easier for a few months. Obviously I would go back to shots if I could. I will talk to my immunologist about those today, actually, when I go for my shots! Thanks again! Still open to suggestions for anyone else that comes across this thread!

Images

Even if you do find a nobo rn, the chances of you and them hiking the same pace for 6 months may not be reasonable. Also if you depend on them giving you the shots and they happen to get off the trail, then you can find yourself in a predicament.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Journal Entries

Shooting up is a piece of cake - can't you practice?

Yeah, I've thought about the whole, not-hiking-the-same-pace thing. I just thought I could receive them once a month? I have many options...as of right now, the drops under the tongue are looking to be my best. However, I'm also not against bouncing my vials from one office to the other so I could get them once every two weeks or so. Obviously would have my mom arrange the best location once I figured out where I was going to be. It could also give me some motivation to put a kick in my step! Because I know I'm capable of a lot more mileage than I think.

I am an RN, hiking in 2012. We are starting March 15th or so. I would be willing to give you your shots, but as others havesss mentioned, it is unlikely we will be hiking the same pace for 6+ months.

I underwent immunotherapy for several years. I also had an adverse reaction once - no rhyme or reason to it and it only happened once. However, it required an adrenaline shot and was a fairly unpleasant experience. I would strongly recommend getting your shots while in town and with access to professional medical help. It will add complexity to your logistics but I'm sure if you plan it out, it can be done.

I am an RN but would be worried about liability as most would be.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

++ New Posts ++