WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clark Jungle Hammock

I am planning on buying a hammock for a summer hike in New Hampshire's Whites.
    I was looking at HH but the Clark looks better.
    Does anyone have a comment ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Barry

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    I am planning on buying a hammock for a summer hike in New Hampshire's Whites.
    I was looking at HH but the Clark looks better.
    Does anyone have a comment ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Most of the hammockers here have their favorite hammock... probably Hennessy, Clark and Speer are the ones most use. They are all a little different in some way(s) but they all seem to make fine backpacking hammocks. The Hennessy's all have a bottom entry with sewn in bug netting and an integral ridgeline that sets the sag angle of the hammock. The Clark is a top entry with a zippered bugnet that you can pretty much get out of the way when you don't want to use it and they have one model with pockets underneath that can be used for insulation. The Speer, also a top entry, has a bugnet that is held on with Velcro and is totally removeable, it is like a convertable in that in the right conditions you can use it without any impediments with your surroundings. There are some differences in how they accomodate bottom side insulation (which is critical in a hammock unless you are in tropical type weather) and in the size/attachment method of the rainfly's. Unfortunately, it is not usually possible to jump from one to the other to get a feel for them, so you pretty much have to pick one and see how you like it. It would be nice if you knew some folks that had one so you could at least get in one.

Youngblood

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

If you come to Trail Days Tom Hennessy and Ed Speer are both normally there...so you can check there respective models and talk to the experts on these models themselves.

Clark seem a bit heavy when last I checked.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

I have a review that does give somewhat of a comparison over at my site: http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/clark_hammock.html
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    If you come to Trail Days Tom Hennessy and Ed Speer are both normally there...so you can check there respective models and talk to the experts on these models themselves.

Clark seem a bit heavy when last I checked.
    I have the Clark Ultralight. It weighs 2lb 8.2 oz. including the stuff sack. The side entry is nice for just sitting, cooking or packing up. I never thought I would like the HH because it seemed too confining. Of course some would say the Clark might have zipper problems on a long trip but so far I have had zero problems.

Personally I'll never go back to a tent. Here is a photo of my hammock set up on the side of a ridge:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

I think any of the major brands would work well. Good luck with your choice!

Tripod

(2lbs 8.2 oz includes the oversized rain fly)
    Last edited by Tripod; 02-23-2005 at 22:05. Reason: Add more information
    On average, 50% of my photos are better than the other half.

Default Clark

Thanks, everyone for the input.
    Barry

Images

Default Hammock Reviews

Check the reviews at www.backpackgeartest.org.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

++ New Posts ++