WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good overnight spot in PA

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are new to backpacking (been car camping for a while) and wanted to do an overnight on the AT in Pennsylvania. We wanted to just park somewhere, start on the trail and set up a tent as it got dark and then hike back out the next day. I was looking at the stretch from the Bake Oven Knob to the Lehigh Gap, but I haven't found a ton of information about campsites. It seems that in some places you can only camp in the shelters while other spots allow tent camping.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a fun, not super challenging overnighter that allows tent camping, preferably somewhere close to Philadelphia?

Thanks for all of your help.

Josh

I would recommend staying somewhere near the Pinnacle (that's the best view on the AT in Pennsylvania in my opinion). The best bet on an overnight trip would be to stay at the Eckville Shelter on Hawk Mountain Road. It's .2 off of the AT itself and about 5 miles north of the Pinnacle. You can stay in the shelter or tent.

Images

Is the last post a serious post or a troll? If so, I'm not biting or explaining. Spring for a guide book.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Journal Entries
    Images

There are numerous springs & streams along the trail in Pa - only one dry spot Mt Minsey. The Pine Creek in the vicinity of Pinnacle have well worked flat spots nearby (almost on the trail) with stone circles from the fifties they are all 1000 feet down from the ridge line.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-19-2011 at 21:58.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++