WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4 quick questions on 100 Mile Wilderness - headed up there from TX in 4 days!!

Guys - I'm from TX and super excited to get my first taste of the AT in a few days. We only have a long weekend (Sat - Tues) to hike, so our thought was to start @ Monson and go out as far as we could get w/ half our time (targeting Screw Auger Falls) and then doubling back. Just 4 quick questions. Really appreciate your help!!

1. Do you know if there are species of fish in the ponds along the AT other than brook trout (i.e. rainbows, bass, perch, etc)?
    2. Getting mixed reviews from different sites on campfires. Sounds like they’re allowed (except in gulf hagas) as long as you build them far enough off the trail and leave no trace???
    3. We don’t have time to hike the whole trail, so we were looking at starting in Monson and heading up to Gulf Hagas and back. Would prefer not to have to double-back, though, and be able to go further up the trail…..how hard would it be to catch a ride from Gulf Hagas back to Monson?
    4. Think we'll run into many black flies or mosquitoes this late in the year?

Thanks!!

Ryan (from Dallas, TX)

Ryan,

1) I have no idea what species of fish are in ponds and lakes up there.

2) Campfires are allowed at shelters. use the rings provided.

3) I would strongly suggest you either car spot or have a prearranged shuttle. You will be on one of the most remote parts of the AT and even when there is a road crossing there is not that much traffic. I would aim for 10-15 mile per day hiking. Its unclear to me from post how many days you will actually have for hiking. Is the Sat Sun time frame to include travel up and back? you are flying up yes? that will mean more logistics because you have to get from either Portland or Bangor over to Monson.

4) what time of year are you going? In May and June, even early July expect challenging stream crossings due to high water and more bugs than you ever dreamed of. By September the bugs are either gone or at least down to very manageable levels.

5) Have you considered doing your first AT experience a little farther south? ie perhaps the Bigelows? Perhaps the Mahoussics?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    5) Have you considered doing your first AT experience a little farther south? ie perhaps the Bigelows? Perhaps the Mahoussics?
    If you get yourself to Gorham, NH, and then catch a shuttle (or hitch) to the AT crossing of ME 26, you could hike back to Gorham, over the Mahoosucs, Mahoosuc Notch included. It is a nice hike.

Other than brookies, many of the lakes and larger streams/rivers in the area also have landlocked salmon. I don't think any other sport species has much presence up there, if any. On a side note, Maine offers some of the most exceptional brook trout fishing you will find anywhere. Unlike most other places, most of the fisheries in Maine have not stocked rainbows and browns to supplement the native brookies. This means that the native brook trout do not have to compete with the other, much more aggressive trout species, and as a result they grow to sizes rarely seen in other parts of the country. 3-4 pound brook trout are not uncommon in Maine. If you have done much trout fishing, you know that a 3 pound brook trout is an exceptional fish.
    This is an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandasan View Post
    Guys - I'm from TX and super excited to get my first taste of the AT in a few days. We only have a long weekend (Sat - Tues) to hike, so our thought was to start @ Monson and go out as far as we could get w/ half our time (targeting Screw Auger Falls) and then doubling back. Just 4 quick questions. Really appreciate your help!!
    1. Do you know if there are species of fish in the ponds along the AT other than brook trout (i.e. rainbows, bass, perch, etc)?
    2. Getting mixed reviews from different sites on campfires. Sounds like they’re allowed (except in gulf hagas) as long as you build them far enough off the trail and leave no trace???
    3. We don’t have time to hike the whole trail, so we were looking at starting in Monson and heading up to Gulf Hagas and back. Would prefer not to have to double-back, though, and be able to go further up the trail…..how hard would it be to catch a ride from Gulf Hagas back to Monson?
    4. Think we'll run into many black flies or mosquitoes this late in the year?
    Thanks!!

Ryan (from Dallas, TX)
    The fall is a great time to hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness. One year, I hiked in the third week of October and had a great time.

To answer your questions:
    1. There are other species of fish, but I don't remember the names. I don't usually carry fishing gear, but borrowed some from Whitehouse Landing. I caught three or four different species. All of them were small by Texas standards. A fishing license is "required"; however, I have never heard of anyone being checked.

2. Campfires are allowed; however, sometimes it is hard to find dry wood. Remember that hundreds of hikers have passed through the 100 Mile Wilderness this summer and have gathered fire wood around the shelters and camping spots. Personally, I carry a Jet Boil for my food, then a camp fire is just an extra. The year I hiked late in October, the woods were wet and I had trouble finding good fire wood.

3. You may be able to hitch a ride back to Monson, but if you are short on time you should make arrangements in advance. A good plan is to park your car at Shaw's in Monson, then have Shaw's arrange a shuttle as far north as you have time for, then hike back to your car. JoMary Road is a good option north of Gulf Hagas. There is another road a couple of miles south of the East Branch Shelter. Gulf Hagas is also a reasonable option.

4. The black flies will be gone. There may be mosquitoes, but they won't be much of a problem for a Texan.

If you are interested, here is the link to my photo album for a hike from Gulf Hagas to Monson -- https://picasaweb.google.com/1129680...Wilderness2006#

PS: When I first posted this, I had failed to count the days you will have. With four days to hike, Gulf Hagas to Monson would be a good hike.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-20-2011 at 17:57.
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++