WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default you're thoughts on my thru-hike gear list

I just copied and pasted this from my quick list so the measurements and pricing may be slightly off in some places because I update the list alot but this is the result of hundreds of hours of research and comparing, and while I'm still deciding on a few things I want to hear your general thoughts on it all if anyone knowledgable has the time. It's an eyefull and the caliber of gear is a notch or two above the average hikers gear..it certainly is a mindblower of information and interesting stuff if you've never looked at the high and obscure end of hiking gear. I figure the better quality gear the better time I'll have but I may or may not be going overboard on some things.

zamberlan sella nw gt rr boots $499 40oz

arctery'x bora 80 pack $375 7lb

Hydro Photon SteriPEN Adventurer Opti $90 3.6 oz

hilleberg akto $430 3lb 8oz

Suunto Core Multifunction Watch * $249.00 2.3oz

Arcteryx beta ar pants $350 1 lb 1.3 oz

ARC'TERYX alpha sv $500 1lb.3oz

Fission SL Jacket $560

LEKI CARBONLITE AERGON SPEEDLOCK TREKKING POLES - Pair * $126 14.2oz

marmot plasma 15 sleeping bag $450 1lb 15.96oz

Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld GPS with Digital Camera
    by Garmin $500 9.3oz

Ether Comp Crew SS $80

Palisade Short $90

Gamma LT Pant $170

Eon SLW Boxer $55

X-Bionic Energy Accumulator Extrawarm Shirt, Long Sleeves $265 6.6oz

X-Bionic Trekking Shirt Short Sleeves x2 $440 9.2oz

X-SOCKS Trekking Evolution Sock - Gray x5 $250 10z

X-bionic Trekking Boxer Shorts x2 $120 3.8oz

X-bionic Energy Accumulator Pants x2 $270 16oz

X-bionic Energy Accumulator‚ Shirt - Long Sleeve $219 5oz

Goal0 Elite Sherpa 50 Explorer Kit $450 2.2lb

San Mai III® Recon Scout $200 12.7oz

Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core Headlamp $110 3.1oz

Garmin rechargeable nimh batt kit + 2 aa nimh batts f dakota $25

Liberty Mountain The Tick Key $5.95 1oz

OPSak--Odor Barrier Bag--3 pack $12 3oz

Aloksak $12 3oz

Ursack S29 AllWhite $65 8oz

PMI 3mm Utility Cord - Package of 50 ft * $4.50 1oz

MSR PackTowl Original Small Towel - 20" x 9" * $7.95 0.6oz

Penguin Sport-Wash - 20 oz. $10

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink - 20 liter $27 3oz

Coghlan's Featherweight Mirror * $3.00 0.5oz

Sunscreen Lotion SPF 15, 4-Fluid Ounce $4

REI MultiTowel Lite X Large Towel - 49" x 29.5" * $26.50 4.7oz

Vargo Outdoors Triad XE Titanium Alcohol/Fuel Tab Stove $32 1.5oz

Sea to Summit Lite Line Clothesline * $6.95 1.3oz

Sea to Summit Pocket Shower * $26.95 5.25oz

Space Brand All Weather Blanket $12.15 - $17.99 12oz

Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter $14.95 - $32.42 3.7oz

Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants $16.47

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guide)

Cables Unlimted ACC-FIBER6 Ultra Absorbent Microfiber Cleaning Cloths $8.89 6.7oz

Primus Titanium Fork, Spoon and Knife Kit $26.61 2oz

Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Pot $46 21oz

Nemo Astro Insulated Sleeping Pad $100 24oz

Dr. Bronners Organic Liquid Soap $15.75 32oz

Granger's XT Proofer Waterproof Spray $13

ZAMBERLAN NEOPRENE GAITERS $25

$5989 +

24 lb and 12.79 oz

Images

my timex ironman keeps good time, cost $20. none of my shirts or pants cost anywhere near the $200 mark you paid. You could probably save $4000 on your gear and hire a sherpa for your hike instead.the ultimate survival technologies strike force firestarter can be replaced by a bic lighter, or stormprrof matches.also, what is penguin sport wash. Ive nevre seen a penguin on the AT, wonder if this is necessary?

No offense dude but I

No offense dude but I think your making yourself a target. Bics work but

How does your pack weigh 7 pounds and your total weight is 24 pounds?! and why, if your total weight without the pack is 17 pounds, would you carry a pack almost half your total weight?

You might get some hate with your budget, but if you have it to burn I guess why not.

All your gear sounds nice and all be it very unneeded...but five grand plus will certainly make you a target amongst people who see you as being Rich. In this day and age the more you have...the less people will like you. People starving sadly and you feel the list is needed...the brands you have are top of the line be it. You might as well Buy a Rolex sub to round out for a watch too...I think your putting yourself into danger by buying any of these items. Townies may look on you as a Richie Rich type...and feel their duty to take away some of your things. You can shop anywhere needed Goodwill St Vincents...it doesnt have to be the best of the best. Price does not always equal quality nor favor among fellow hikers...if anything it shows your easy to grab a beer off of or some sweet gear. Cut it all down otherwise you might as well be hiking down Park avenue...with that bank acct on your back you would be amongst friends.

Images

with all the money you've spent on gear, any possibility youve got a few bucks left over to donate to Whiteblaze?the ATC? and ALDHA?, maybe AMC, too?

@hikerboy57 well i sort of expected the viewers to do a little more then a first glance at the gear..theres a reason the clothes cost 200+ the sports wash is for washing the clothes btw because even though they are made of higher quality thread then usual they arnt generic and will get shredded in a washer and require specific types of detergent, I added it in there for thought.
    @ fog horn the pack weight isnt added in my bad.

Even if you take out the poles and you look at just what you are carrying and you do not include most of the clothing, the number I got for your gear was over 30 pounds.

just a general fyi im not interested in what the other hikers think and im aware of the possibility of things getting stolen but im cautious enough to prevent that.

Images

I can understand spending a little more money to save weightIt just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary spending.one thing refreshing about the At is there is no class distinction. It seems you're determined to break the trend. you're packweight is too high and youre carrying a lot of uneecessary weight.wsith food and water you're over 40 lbs. so whats the point.
    PS, special detergent will not kill hiker funk.
    welcome to Whitebalze. you're not one of those guys under the bridge with 3 questioons to ask, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I can understand spending a little more money to save weightIt just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary spending.one thing refreshing about the At is there is no class distinction. It seems you're determined to break the trend. you're packweight is too high and youre carrying a lot of uneecessary weight.wsith food and water you're over 40 lbs. so whats the point.
    PS, special detergent will not kill hiker funk.
    welcome to Whitebalze. you're not one of those guys under the bridge with 3 questioons to ask, are you?
    its like i said..its my quick list its just a reference its not like im going to be taking everything on the list. also for gods sake im aware its expensive and no im not rich but im 20 yrs old and in a position atm where i can afford to save up for something expensive. forget money as a factor functionality is all im interested in.

I prefer the synthetic clothes at wal mart and I can put in the washing machine. Your budget is crazy. Of course this is just my opinion

Images

I spent a lot less than you and will be hiking a lot lighter than you. The gear doesn't get you to Maine. Pocket shower? Come on, man up!

Overall the pricey items ARE NOT needed as I said before makes you a target. Its not the gear that makes the hike its you who makes it...those items are just that items. Becoming one with yourself in understanding this will be grueling and long...is more of a priority than all else. You will want a least a much lighter pack golite is good and osprey...I am Ultra light hiking myself. The boots are ok though I am using ankle supports from my Dr...and using running shoes. That would drop your wait. Three pairs of clothing the ones on your back...the ones for town and the ones at camp. Smartwool socks work wonders they are good quality not overally high priced and last.

The gps is unneeded really a compass works just as well...and no worries on where to recharge it. The odor barrier bags are a unique idea though I have used...ziploc bags and fresh lemon zest. Yes be it literally a bit fruity it works to keep the hiker funk down. I would use a Zippo for the lighter its money back and a true American icon. The waterproof gear is really unneeded as such it will rain...make you very uncomfortable perhaps just a poncho. The gaitors and boots are ok but I would toss those as well...having larger boots does not always mean an easier stride. The best idea and I have never thought of is the mirror...good for signaling for help or shaving. All in all I checked it all out great gear and all...but try to keep yourself from being too noticed. Good ideas and the like...just dont want anyones gear getting jacked because they like nice things or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by djcoin View Post

zamberlan sella nw gt rr boots $499 40oz

arctery'x bora 80 pack $375 7lb

Hydro Photon SteriPEN Adventurer Opti $90 3.6 oz

hilleberg akto $430 3lb 8oz

Suunto Core Multifunction Watch * $249.00 2.3oz Doesn't your garmin tell the time?

Arcteryx beta ar pants $350 1 lb 1.3 oz I don't know what miracle these pants can do, but I wouldn't bring pants that are over a pound when you already have two pairs of other pants

ARC'TERYX alpha sv $500 1lb.3oz Same with this. for the money, these should weight a lot less or come with pockets lined in gold

Fission SL Jacket $560 Is this a repeat? Why take two similar jackets?

LEKI CARBONLITE AERGON SPEEDLOCK TREKKING POLES - Pair * $126 14.2oz

marmot plasma 15 sleeping bag $450 1lb 15.96oz

Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld GPS with Digital Camera
    by Garmin $500 9.3oz

Ether Comp Crew SS $80

Palisade Short $90

Gamma LT Pant $170

Eon SLW Boxer $55

X-Bionic Energy Accumulator Extrawarm Shirt, Long Sleeves $265 6.6oz

X-Bionic Trekking Shirt Short Sleeves x2 $440 9.2oz You already have ss shirts. Even as a luxury item, you really only need two

X-SOCKS Trekking Evolution Sock - Gray x5 $250 10z

X-bionic Trekking Boxer Shorts x2 $120 3.8oz Same as the ss shirts.

X-bionic Energy Accumulator Pants x2 $270 16oz More pants, yayyyyyy

X-bionic Energy Accumulator‚ Shirt - Long Sleeve $219 5oz More shirts, yayyyy

Goal0 Elite Sherpa 50 Explorer Kit $450 2.2lb from all accounts I've heard, solar panels are close to useless int he green tunnel, and that weight is too heavy to justify the minimal benefits

San Mai III® Recon Scout $200 12.7oz Hefty knife. Have you considered one made of lighter materials?

Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core Headlamp $110 3.1oz

Garmin rechargeable nimh batt kit + 2 aa nimh batts f dakota $25

Liberty Mountain The Tick Key $5.95 1oz

OPSak--Odor Barrier Bag--3 pack $12 3oz

Aloksak $12 3oz

Ursack S29 AllWhite $65 8oz

PMI 3mm Utility Cord - Package of 50 ft * $4.50 1oz

MSR PackTowl Original Small Towel - 20" x 9" * $7.95 0.6oz I've heard bad reports of these, that they get really smelly really fast and that a bandana or four is better. If nothing else, try these out before taking them with you.

Penguin Sport-Wash - 20 oz. $10 If you are going to take this much specialty wash, you should consider a bounce box and just take a SMALL bottle on the actual trail with you, or dont take any on the trail and just wash in town.

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink - 20 liter $27 3oz the bottom of a milk bottle works well

Coghlan's Featherweight Mirror * $3.00 0.5oz

Sunscreen Lotion SPF 15, 4-Fluid Ounce $4

REI MultiTowel Lite X Large Towel - 49" x 29.5" * $26.50 4.7oz

Vargo Outdoors Triad XE Titanium Alcohol/Fuel Tab Stove $32 1.5oz

Sea to Summit Lite Line Clothesline * $6.95 1.3oz just use the utility line that you are already bringing

Sea to Summit Pocket Shower * $26.95 5.25oz I don't know that you will use/ need this

Space Brand All Weather Blanket $12.15 - $17.99 12oz Why take a sleeping bag and then almost a pound of blanket on top of that? I don't get it. HYOH and everything, you asked for opinions.

Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter $14.95 - $32.42 3.7oz My fire starter was four bucks and weighs less than half an ounce. You got robbed

Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants $16.47 Can you get the e version of this?

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guide) same with this

Cables Unlimted ACC-FIBER6 Ultra Absorbent Microfiber Cleaning Cloths $8.89 6.7oz do you need half a pound of this or can you cut it down?

Primus Titanium Fork, Spoon and Knife Kit $26.61 2oz

Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Pot $46 21oz I don't know what pots are going for these days but a pound and a half for one pot seems excessive

Nemo Astro Insulated Sleeping Pad $100 24oz

Dr. Bronners Organic Liquid Soap $15.75 32oz Get a smaller jar. A three ounce jar is big enough to keep you going for a long time, and then you can resupply. No need to have 32 ounces of soap

Granger's XT Proofer Waterproof Spray $13

ZAMBERLAN NEOPRENE GAITERS $25

$5989 +

24 lb and 12.79 oz
    I didn't see gloves, dry bags, stuff sacks, sack covers, tooth brush and hygiene items, and all that good jazz....

Don't really see the need for 50' utility cord AND a clothline. somethings may be a little redundant.

Images

Maybe I'm missing something but....you're paying that much for a pack that weighs 7 pounds????

I paid $150 for a new GoLite Pinnacle and it's only 2 lbs, and this is a pack that has been thru-tested by others several times.

Either A) you haven't done as much research as you said/think you have or B) you are under the guise that more money = better gear.

You have that budget at 20? Dude, why don't you just be minimalist with the gear, save some money, and see if you actually like the trail. And if you do, then you can buy average gear like everyone else and have money leftover for the PCT, CDT, or whatever.

The adventures I'd have with a trust-fund.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Have you hikes much? If not, rent some gear and invest a few days in seeing what you really need.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

thnx for the input i will adjust my list accordingly. another fyi the only things ive bought from this list so far are the pack and boots also once again this isnt the final list its just A list.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++