WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Did you have Medical Insurance/Coverage when you took a long Hike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We bought a Backpacker's policy from a travel insurance company...it cost about $175 for 217 days of travel...it's piece of mind really. I am from the States and I know that even a minor accident or illness can set you back loads of money.

It's a shame these types of policies are not available for people in the States.

Worrying about the future is not something i do well! I believe that a healthy body, attitude and mind as well as a light pack are enough of a substitue (for me) for medical insurance.

In 7 thru-hikes, the only major problem i got from hiking was a brown recluse spider bite in '95. This can be a very very serious problem if not treated. I was in VT at the time and went to Rutland Hospital where i was treated (powerful antibiotic shot which solved the problem after 5 days rest) After telling the doctor where i got the bite (thru-hiking the AT) he waived his bill. I had to pay the hospital $150. I was lucky that he was cool. Perhaps his bill would've been $300-500 more.
    I believe that 40 minutes a day of a cardiovascular pumping workout (when i am not hiking) keeps me healthy. I rarely get sick, walk through most all of my aches and pains, keep a positive attitude, don't overdo the amount of beer i carry out of town, and always sleep good. (almost always)
    Now, if i would've gotten medical insurance for those 7 seasons, i figure it would've cost me aprox. $9,000. And i figure that 9 grand paid for at least 2 of the thu-hikes and perhaps 3. Also, i used to pay insurance to Blue Cross/Blue sheild and stopped when they refused to pay for a visit to the hospital emergency room for an infected finger because they said i waited too long. (this was after i paid them aprox $15,000 over a 7 year period) I swore off medical insurance at that time and haven't had it for 19 years now with no regrets. These guys profit from your worries! (and sometimes don't pay anyway)
    To me, a strong immune system and a positive attitude will cure most problems.

"The only thing to fear is fear itself"
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"
    "Pain is just weakness leaving the body"

check http://www.insurancepaylite.com might help with your concerns i pay $120 per month

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++