WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mid-October White Mountain Hike - Suggestions?

Myself and 2 others are looking to do a weekend hike in mid-October. Hoping to camp Friday and Saturday and finish the hike early on Sunday. Ideally I would like the hike to be within a 2 hour range away from Boston, Ma.

I have always wanted to hike in the White Mountains - it is about 2 hours away. Any suggestion for a good weekend trip in this area? What type of conditions should I expect? I would anticipate and be prepared for winter-like conditions.

I am also open to hiking in a different area if anyone has other suggestions. Let me know! Thanks

Pat

Images

Mid October can be really iffy in the Whites. It could be beautiful, or you could have snow. I'd pick a section of trail outside the Presidentials to be safe, but if you get up there, the weather report for the next few days could be fine. I guess you just have to play it by ear.

The Wildcats and Carter range is nice, in Pinkham Notch, and the Mahoosucs north of Gorham,NH is my favorite place. Just remember that some of the huts in the Presidentials are closing for the season, but shelters are always open.
    Greg P.

Any suggestions for a good loop to do in that area? Maybe around 20 miles or so?

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    Any suggestions for a good loop to do in that area? Maybe around 20 miles or so?
    I have done the Bondcliff Loop.

Day 1.- Lincoln Woods Trail to Bondcliffs Trail, stay at Guyot Campsite. AWESOME hike
    Day2. Guyot Campsite to Garfield Campsite.
    Day 3. Garfield to Franconia Notch. If you cant do the 3rd day, you can backtrack down to Galehead Hut and take he Twin Brook Trail back to Franconia Brook Trail.

Ill say this, even if you dont go to Garfield, the views from The Bonds, Guyot and South Twin are amazing!!!! One of teh jewels of the WHites IMO. Its in the Pemi Wilderness so its a good backcountry hike!

Parking at Lincoln Woods just outside of Lincoln, about 120 miles from Boston!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post

Day 1.- Lincoln Woods Trail to Bondcliffs Trail, stay at Guyot Campsite. AWESOME hike
    Day 3. Garfield to Franconia Notch. If you cant do the 3rd day, you can backtrack down to Galehead Hut and take he Twin Brook Trail back to Franconia Brook Trail.

Ill say this, even if you dont go to Garfield, the views from The Bonds, Guyot and South Twin are amazing!!!! One of teh jewels of the WHites IMO. Its in the Pemi Wilderness so its a good backcountry hike!

This trailhead is 2-2.5 hours from Boston, one of the closest; the trailheads in Pinkham Notch and Gorham are more like 3.5 hours from Boston.

A somewhat easier version of the above suggestion would be to descend from Galehead Hut to Fraconia Brook Campsite (or even lower on Fraconia Brook Trail) on Day 2; then you'll have a fairly short 3rd day. For a long 3rd day, you could cross Fraconia Ridge (from Garfield) and descend on Osseo Trail back to Wilderness Trail (just 1.5 miles away from the parking lot where you start). This would be a very nice hike in good weather, but if the weather turns bad, you probably do not want to be on Fraconia Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    This trailhead is 2-2.5 hours from Boston, one of the closest; the trailheads in Pinkham Notch and Gorham are more like 3.5 hours from Boston.

A somewhat easier version of the above suggestion would be to descend from Galehead Hut to Fraconia Brook Campsite (or even lower on Fraconia Brook Trail) on Day 2; then you'll have a fairly short 3rd day. For a long 3rd day, you could cross Fraconia Ridge (from Garfield) and descend on Osseo Trail back to Wilderness Trail (just 1.5 miles away from the parking lot where you start). This would be a very nice hike in good weather, but if the weather turns bad, you probably do not want to be on Fraconia Ridge.
    That hike down from Garfield to Osseo is a loooooooong hike. The 13 Falls Tentsite is a pretty sweet spot, at the bottom of Twin Brook Trail at the intersection of Franconia Brook trail. But yes, this is probably the best bet from Boston. This is one of the only loops that meets The needs of the OP. Great one to do

A weekend at the RMC Gray Knob or Crag Camp cabin is a perpetual favorate of Bostonians. Hike up Friday (a stiff 3.5 mile climb via Lowe's path, which takes on average 4 hours, but sometimes longer. There are several alturnative paths which can also be taken to get there). Spend Saturday wandering around above tree line - a loop over three 5000 footers is possible - Jefferson, Adams, Madison. Head back down Sunday. The cost to stay at the cabin is only $13 per person, per night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh, if your thinking of going on Columbus day weekend, forget it. It is also Canadian Thanksgiving and they will be all over the Whites - in droves. Any and all camping sites will be full up to overflowing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post

Sounds like a great hike! Could you recommend a map set for me?

Also, I hate to be nit-picking, but could you give me an estimate for mileage on those days?

I found this trip report - it seems similar to the one you have mentioned. Around 25 miles sounds ideal for me. I hope the weather is nice!

Sounds like a great hike! Could you recommend a map set for me?
    AMC White Mountain Guide, 28th edition; they now have a separate set of tyvek maps.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    AMC White Mountain Guide, 28th edition; they now have a separate set of tyvek maps.
    Although I do like that mar, the Map adventures of The Whites is good as well, it has the mileage built in. But yes you cant go wrong woth the AMC maps either.

I went with the AMC maps. What type of layers should I have?

I am thinking: Shorts, underarmor compression shorts, synthetic short sleeve, heavy weight synthetic long sleeve (similar to cap 3 patagonia), wind shirt. Lightweight wool knit hat. Wool socks.

Carrying: light weight synthetic long sleeve top and bottom for sleeping. (could upgrade these to a heavier layer). Dri Ducks Rain Jacket. Heavy wool socks. Patagonia Micropuff vest. Wool gloves. Waterproof rain gloves. Lightweight balaclava.

Thoughts?

I went with the AMC maps. What type of layers should I have?

I am thinking: Shorts, underarmor compression shorts, synthetic short sleeve, heavy weight synthetic long sleeve (similar to cap 3 patagonia), wind shirt. Lightweight wool knit hat. Wool socks.

Carrying: light weight synthetic long sleeve top and bottom for sleeping. (could upgrade these to a heavier layer). Dri Ducks Rain Jacket. Heavy wool socks. Patagonia Micropuff vest. Wool gloves. Waterproof rain gloves. Lightweight balaclava.

Thoughts?
    With the little bout of winter I had last weekend, I had thermals, winter hat, down jacket (the micropuff will suffice), 2 pair of wool socks, rain jacket, balaclava.
    I actually ended up getting warm in my bag when the temps were in the upper teens. Just check the forecast for Lincoln, NH and equate a 10-20 degree variation. Also check the high summits forecast on the Mt Washington Observatory site
    http://www.mountwashington.org/weath...t_forecast.php

If you want to avoid the crowds that weekend try the Bald Face Circle trail in the eastsern portion of the Whites. This trail starts near the Maine border and runs west over the Baldface mountain range offering spectaculr open ridge lines and views of the Carters and Mt. Washington on a clear day.

Images

the bondcliff/franconia loop is stunning. on the bondcliff side there will be no bail out options but on the franconia side u will have a few to choose from that will lead u to rte 93 if needed. you can also cut the loop in half and come down the franconia brook trail if things do not work out.

the wilderness trail is a flat walk rite up to the bondcliff trail. the bcliff trail gradually gets tougher as u go but the more u walk the better the views become and u start to forget about how tuff it is. just north of guyout u will be on the AT all the way to mt liberty with alot of hiking above treeline so be prepared. coming off of garfield and then up to laffayette can be a tuff jaunt but the view off laffayette will be worth it. damn, that whole hike is a highlite reel....

i hope u have a wonderful time....

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    If you want to avoid the crowds that weekend try the Bald Face Circle trail in the eastsern portion of the Whites. This trail starts near the Maine border and runs west over the Baldface mountain range offering spectaculr open ridge lines and views of the Carters and Mt. Washington on a clear day.
    So how is the camping in that area? I have been looking at this one myself. I see a shelter in the map but would probably just camp. Anyway good spots to set up just below tree?
    Last edited by Chaco Taco; 09-26-2011 at 08:32.

Images

Chaco, the Baldfaces are awesome, but don't have much water up on the open ridgelines. Luckily, you can walk it in an easy day if you stay at the shelter overnite first. I've also stayed on the shoulder of S. Baldface between there and Baldface Knob, where there is a nice campsite, but no water. Water at the shelter, and if you drop down below treeline on some of the side trails. You may find water some of the year between South and North Baldface.

Walk the whole ridge all the way to East Royce for an extended trip.

Great area, I've been a trail adopter there for 11 years.
    Greg P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Chaco, the Baldfaces are awesome, but don't have much water up on the open ridgelines. Luckily, you can walk it in an easy day if you stay at the shelter overnite first. I've also stayed on the shoulder of S. Baldface between there and Baldface Knob, where there is a nice campsite, but no water. Water at the shelter, and if you drop down below treeline on some of the side trails. You may find water some of the year between South and North Baldface.

Walk the whole ridge all the way to East Royce for an extended trip.

Great area, I've been a trail adopter there for 11 years.
    So I could camel up and be fine?

We just hiked the Baldfaces last weekend and there is plenty of water below the summitts. you can easily get by with 2 litres and the leaves should be at peak stage this weekend. But it will be cold and rainy , maybe some snow too!

have fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++