WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Design student creates coat that turns into sleeping bag for homeless people...

Interesting story on a design student that created a coat that converts to a sleeping bag. It's designed for homeless people. I applaud the initiative, but I have questions about the design. This coat/bag weighs 1lb and is "good" to 17 degrees. The cost to produce is $7-$10.

Much like commercial sleeping bag temperature ratings, I think that this rating is extremely exaggerated. I don't think there are any commercial 15 degree bags sold at any price that are only 1lb.

I know in my area (NC), efforts to help the homeless population with give-aways of sleeping bags have failed. Usually the bags end up being immediately resold or lost.

Anyways, I like the initiative, but I think the idea needs more work...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-09-11/bay-area/30141172_1_homeless-population-homeless-people-bag

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/13/131910...a-sleeping-bag

Images

Kind of a poor mans Rock or Winter Wren from Feathered Friends, or the similar Dreamwalker / Wallcreeper from Exped.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Folding bowls and esbit stoves; collapsible cups and hiking poles........the Packa transforms into a poncho pack cover.

The spork.....

You can see the evolution can't you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Folding bowls and esbit stoves; collapsible cups and hiking poles........the Packa transforms into a poncho pack cover.

The spork.....

You can see the evolution can't you?
    Perhaps even a designer.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Not exactly new; didn't John Meir sleep in his greatcoat? And use the pockets to carry what little gear he had? Seems like a nice design, though.

++ New Posts ++