WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Think of a thru-hike like a college class - yes you can skip a few days (like as in a zero at a hostel) or even go home for a weekend maybe, but you stay with "your class" walking with the season -not getting "held back" to continue the analogy - you'll appreciate it more that way. I do also think that a flip-flop is a legit thru hike (for someone with seasonal issues, or whatever) certainly, they leave the trail for travel so it also sort of comes down to where you draw the line ethically - but I think that taking months off (even in the same year) while surely making you a 2000 miler, doesn't really cut it as a thru-hiker. Besides, you are talking about a relatively short section - just re-hike it, you'll have fun and be happier in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2011 View Post
    It really is in the eye of the beholder as to what a "thru-hike" is. In my personal opinion, that should be completed in one calendar year. But that's just that, my personal opinion.

If you ask fellow thru-hikers, I think they would most likely agree with this assessment.

In 2010, there was an Australian thru-hiker by the name of GipCGirl who broke her arm within the first month on the trail. She took 6 months off to the bone heal and then started back up from where she left off. She eventually had to get off the trail in the Whites because her visa was expiring.

in 2011, she came back to re-attempt her "thru-hike". She started at Springer, not where she left off.

I think this is the common perception amongst thru-hikers.
    I thought she had broken her leg last year, not her arm. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyhow, glad to hear she finished this year. I enjoyed hiking with her off and on for the first month or so.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    However ATC may be the power behind the AT it is not the only grouping power out there...
    There IS the High Holy Council of hiking, of course.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...a-pack-sniffer

Now, when I have a beer post hike, I am through hiking.

But may be a different definition....
    Last edited by Mags; 11-09-2011 at 22:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    There are lots of reasons one may need to take a week off the trail. Injury, death in the family, a wedding and the list goes on and on.
    The only people that really care whether you do it 2000 miles all at once, or 100 miles at a time - or never at all - just don't have enough important things to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    There are lots of reasons one may need to take a week off the trail. Injury, death in the family, a wedding and the list goes on and on.
    I agree. Taking a week off does not blow your thru hike. Thrus often take off the week of Trail Days, get back on the trail, and still consider themselves thru-hikers.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

SOBO 2013

Can we just keep getting IB riled up? not gonna lie i skipped through half of these posts just to read his posts! Histerical! never seen someone get so worked up about their leisure time!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++