WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack Cover

Default Pack Cover

Who has an opinion on a cover for a bridger, 4000ci, poles and pad outside? I tend to lean back on stuff, so maybe rugged is a plus. Do the new Pack Flies by DD attach the same? Let er rip!

Images

For a rugged cover, check out the REI Ducks Back line of covers. Their website should gove you an idea on which size you need. It comes in a black cordura type case that doubles as a place to carry other small items. It appears durable, but is heavier than silnylon.

I purchased a silnylon pack cover made by Equinox at the beginning of a section hike at Bluff Mountain Outfitters, and while I can't comment about it's long term durability, it has help up well over 134 miles in varying conditions, and it packs down small and light.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

Lightbulb Ditch the cover, get a trash compactor bag

Well, you asked for opinions about covers. I'm a section hiker and have used both a Gregory cover for my Gregory Reality pack, and a trash compactor bag inside the pack itself. Based on my experience so far, I have ditched the used-one-time cover altogether and now use a white trash compactor bag placed inside my pack.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

IMHO: pack covers don't really help, usually water collects in the bottom of the cover & holds it nicely against the bottom of your pack, soaking the pack & the stuff in it. Like Rain Man, I put all "stuff" in a trash compactor bag, & sleeping bag in another, both sealed with a simple twist tie.
    With rain cover: all my stuff got wet.
    With trash compactor bags: nothing got wet.

If your main concern is damage to the pack when you lean against something while wearing it, stop leaning against something while wearing the pack

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

About the only thing I really depend on a pack cover for is keeping my pack out of the weather at night when it won't fit inside the tent. I cover the pack and gather up all the strappage and lay it flat on the ground or lean it against a tree. In that application it does seem to work.

With the exception of a light drizzle, a pack will get wet despite a cover sooner or later ...either from water gathering in the bottom (as already pointed out) or the rain running down between the pack and your back and soaking it out from behind.

The only way I've ever found to ensure that the pack contents will stay dry is the pack liner. I use the plastic trash compactor bags myself.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by plodder
    Who has an opinion on a cover for a bridger, 4000ci, poles and pad outside? I tend to lean back on stuff, so maybe rugged is a plus. Do the new Pack Flies by DD attach the same? Let er rip!
    I never met a pack cover that really worked. Water always managed to intrude around the harness and through the back where the cover- well, doesn't cover it. Now one of those ponchos cut so you wear it over your pack and harness does work- at least it keeps the pack dry, but you get kinda wet compared to good raingear. Gotta agree with others that lining the inside of your pack is a better approach, at least to a degree. Works great in single compartment top loaders. You stuff all your things in, seal her up then throw your wet and muddy tent in on top and secure the pack lid. Doesn't do much for organization though.
    I prefer to let the pack get wet but keep tent, clothing, sleeping gear and food packed in dedicated OR Advanced Hydroseal Stuff Sacks. Properly sized and closed, they simply don't leak even when fully immersed. My stove, fuel, and kitchen can stay wet forever as far as I care, and good ziplock freezer bags handle the rest pretty adequately.
    May not be the answer for ultra-light and or ultra frugal types, but it works great for me.

Default How about the Packa?

Anyone try one of those? I'm in the process of looking to get one of would love to hear how dry it does keep your pack and yourself...

Thanks
    Glee

Default Pack cover

Yes

compactor bags: nothing got wet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Glee
    Anyone try one of those? I'm in the process of looking to get one of would love to hear how dry it does keep your pack and yourself...

Thanks
    Glee
    ====================================
    Mine is supposed to arrive today. Won't have too much opportunity to test it out in the woods here in Wyoming for a while yet but once I've had a chance to check it out I'll post something here at Whiteblaze.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

Those of you who use compacter bags, how do you close the top of the compacter bag? Just roll it or how?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikeLite
    Those of you who use compacter bags, how do you close the top of the compacter bag? Just roll it or how?
    ===================================
    Yes ...that's exactly what I do. Just draw up the excess plastic on top, roll it over and cinch down the backpack.

While I'm thinking about it ...when we were on the trail in 2003 someone found huge (like 30 gallon) heavy duty ziplocks. I think they were made for storing clothing and bedding. Anyway, I was told they were available at WalMart but I personally have never seen them since the trail. Nice thing about those was the air-tight closure at the top.

'Slogger

Images

Maybe I got lucky, but I never had water collect in my pack cover, and we had two day of steady rain - one of which was torrential downpours. I cinched the pack cover around my pack, and it fit well so the only way I can see water getting in would have been down my back. I many have been lucky, but nothing got wet. I did have things that I did want to stay dry in ziplocs. Ziplocs help me to keep things organized, and offer that extra protection. Now that I am using a down sleeping bag, I'm going to put it in a trash compactor bag.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

How much do trash compactor bags typically weigh?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    ===============================
    Good question ...I never weighed one. I'm at work right now but have a half dozen or so left in the gear locker at home. I'll weigh one when I get home and post my findings on this thread.

'Slogger

Default pack cover

Well like most I now after experience,use heavy trash bag or something comparible even some of the fishing industries water proof bags although little heavy very durable kentucky,usually lose my pack cover or gets ripped on tree branches do to my bushwacking adventures

Images

Default My Hefty weighs 2.3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    Okay, just pulled out my digital postage scale, and a Hefty Trash Compactor Bag (2' 1.75" x 2' 10"), and it weighs in at 2.3 oz. The bags come five to a box. I think my daughter went through two on her hike last year. She also started with a pack cover and sent it home.

By the way, I didn't mention, but I think I'd use one just because I can see to the bottom of my pack with one (it's white). Otherwise, forget it, looking down in that black hole.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Okay, just pulled out my digital postage scale, and a Hefty Trash Compactor Bag (2' 1.75" x 2' 10"), and it weighs in at 2.3 oz. The bags come five to a box. I think my daughter went through two on her hike last year. She also started with a pack cover and sent it home.

By the way, I didn't mention, but I think I'd use one just because I can see to the bottom of my pack with one (it's white). Otherwise, forget it, looking down in that black hole.

Rain Man

Well that surely beats the 5 oz pack cover I carry that doesnt work. I think Ive been converted!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Trash bag plus

OK. Seems contracter bags, twisted, folded, and rubber banded are old school. I expected Granite Gear is sweet, or don't buy OR. I guess what I'm hunting is something that would take Kentucy's abuse. Kevlar is out. I guess I gotta stop bouncing off stuff. Anyone tried Dancing Light Gear?

Default pack cover

I resent that remark Im a changed Man!kentucky

Default pack cover

I have used compacter bags when they are available but trash bags work fine also. I put one into my pack and load my stuff into the bag. That also prevents my sleeping bag and stuff from getting wet from my sweat. I leave a trash bag where it's handy if it starts to rain. It takes me a minute to poke two hople for my pack straps. The trash bag is put bottom side up and I put the straps through the holes. I've been through some awful hard rains. I cram my sleeping bag in the bottom, then I cram in my tent, then the cloths or food bag. I can usually fish my tent out of my pack without taking the bag off it. I set up my tent and take the bag off the pack as I put the back pack in my slick rock tent. In the morning I put my wet tent in a trash bag and take it out to dry during the day if the sun shows up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++