WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana So when you hike SOBO...

You have to climb Mt.Katahdin and then climb down to the spot were you started climbing to continue on the AT, I know I sound like a greenhorn, but its because I am. Just a confused newbie tryin to get some answers.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sean.sanchez View Post
    You have to climb Mt.Katahdin and then climb down to the spot were you started climbing to continue on the AT, I know I sound like a greenhorn, but its because I am. Just a confused newbie tryin to get some answers.
    Technically, it's not necessary to climb Katahdin and then backtrack to do a Southbound hike. For example, when I climbed it, I came back down via the Knife Edge...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

When I started my (incomplete) SOBO I went up the AT (Hunt Trail) and came back down the Abol Slide Trail and walked the dirt road back to KSC. Wanted the variety and to avoid the crowd. Abol Slide is not recommended for a descent, but I have lots of experiance on trails of this type being a slide fanatic from NH. I found it very fun. I would do it the other way around. Up the slide and SOBO on Hunt for a true SOBO (full).
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

The posts above are absolutely accurate, but most SOBO thruhikers do exactly what you outlined sean...up and back down to where you started.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The posts above are absolutely accurate, but most SOBO thruhikers do exactly what you outlined sean...up and back down to where you started.
    Yes they do, and I've always wondered why the people so adamant that the approach trail should be climbed up Springer don't take the same position about Katahdin? The Knife Edge is far more spectacular and worth doing.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Yes they do, and I've always wondered why the people so adamant that the approach trail should be climbed up Springer don't take the same position about Katahdin? The Knife Edge is far more spectacular and worth doing.
    The knife edge should only be done when the weather is damn near perfict, and that eliminates a lot of days. Also, the logistics of going up and over Katahdin via the Knife Edge is a little more complicated - and even more physically demanding than doing the AT side.

SOBO or NOBO, most everyone goes up to the summit and back down the same way on the AT approch.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

When I finished my thru I went down the Knifes Edge. My day on Katahdin couldn't have been more beautiful and the knifes edge was the perfect finish. The people I had been hiking with for the past 3 weeks went back down the Hunt Trail, I just thought it was a symbolic way to finish-leaving the AT behind and going on a different trail. I met a few SOBO's starting their hike coming up the Knifes Edge and I think their excitement compensated for their fresh legs. Regardless of what you do it's an unbelievable mountain.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The knife edge should only be done when the weather is damn near perfict, and that eliminates a lot of days.
    Fortunately, the weather was perfect when I left the summit of Katahdin via the Knife Edge...but you're right, sometimes going that way is inadvisable.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

If you're starting a SOBO hike you'll probably want to come DOWN the Hunt Trail, but it matters not which way you go up. A big factor in your choice is your motorized transportation to the park. My husband drove me to the park and hiked up and down the Hunt Trail with me. It would have been a lot more difficult for him to do anything other than and out and back hike.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I was shuttled to Katahdin Stream Campground to leave my pack at the ranger station and then back to the Abol Trail trail head. I went up the Abol Trail and then down the Hunt Trail (AT). There is a mile or so of backtracking on the tablelands, but otherwise, it is a separate route up and down.

Images

Sort of makes the 0.9m backtrack to Springer kindof trivial, huh?

I just wonder... you hear about many beginners having trouble on the Approach trail which really isn't bad, but I would think the trek to Katahdin is much worse for a beginner going sobo before they really get their hiking legs on. But I never hear about it. Is it just fewer numbers, or do Sobo's on average have more of a clue of what they're getting into than a lot of Nobo's?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I was shuttled to Katahdin Stream Campground to leave my pack at the ranger station and then back to the Abol Trail trail head. I went up the Abol Trail and then down the Hunt Trail (AT). There is a mile or so of backtracking on the tablelands, but otherwise, it is a separate route up and down.
    So do most people (at least those who double back) leave their pack at the bottom?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    So do most people (at least those who double back) leave their pack at the bottom?
    Daypacks are available at the ranger station. Almost nobody hikes up and down Katahdin with their full pack.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Daypacks are available at the ranger station. Almost nobody hikes up and down Katahdin with their full pack.
    CAUTION: The "loner packs" stick to high heaven!!!
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

Quote Originally Posted by wvgrinder View Post
    CAUTION: The "loner packs" stick to high heaven!!!
    Opps. I meant "stink".
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

++ New Posts ++