WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Camping around Mt Washington

This weekend a few friends and I are heading up to Mt Washington to camp/hike for a few days. Our plan is to get up to the Washington area around mid-late afternoon on Friday, camp close to/around the base for the night, hike all day Saturday (hopefully summiting as long as the weather isn't too forbearing), return to camp Saturday night, and head home Sunday morning. Ideally, a campsite on the Tuckerman side would be best, as we'll look to summit from those trails.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we can camp this time of year around/on Washington? We are planning to tent & would like to do a fire, if possible.

Please let me know if you need more info!

Thanks!
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by skiman0o View Post
    This weekend a few friends and I are heading up to Mt Washington to camp/hike for a few days. Our plan is to get up to the Washington area around mid-late afternoon on Friday, camp close to/around the base for the night, hike all day Saturday (hopefully summiting as long as the weather isn't too forbearing), return to camp Saturday night, and head home Sunday morning. Ideally, a campsite on the Tuckerman side would be best, as we'll look to summit from those trails.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we can camp this time of year around/on Washington? We are planning to tent & would like to do a fire, if possible.

Please let me know if you need more info!

Thanks!
    Will
    There is the hermit cabin down Tuckermans. I hope you have seen the weather forecast for this weekend. It doesnt look good at all, just sayin. Rain all day friday, which will probably be ice on Washington with the highs only supposed to be in the mid 50;s in the lower elevations. Sat, rain. Climbing those headwalls will be no bueno in the rain and esp in ice

If I am not mistaken, which I may be, there are no fires in the Whites

Thanks for the info, Chaco Taco.

Did see the weather, and the trip definitely may not happen. Just being optimistic for now and getting the plans set, we'll see how the weather plays out...

Quote Originally Posted by skiman0o View Post
    Thanks for the info, Chaco Taco.

Did see the weather, and the trip definitely may not happen. Just being optimistic for now and getting the plans set, we'll see how the weather plays out...
    I was up that way a couple of weeks ago. While it was in the low 60's in Concord, we had snowing, sleet and ice at 3000 feet. One guy we talked to walk across Lafayette and had some major issues with the ice up there. Id check the high summits forecast on the Mt Washington site Thursday and Friday before you go. Personally, Id stay away from Washington this weekend and maybe look at something in the Pemi or Sandwich Range, but thats just me. The Kinsmans would be perfect actually. Good luck planning

There are lean tos that can be used for camping at Hermit Lake but I beleive there are no fires allowed. I believe that yuou cant make long term reservations but you need to pick up a reservation in the morning at AMC pinkham notch, the rules may have changed so give AMC a call. There is no other camping allowed in the Cutler River drainage which drains Tuckermans Ravine. There is potential camping (no desiginated camping spots, just somewhat open woods) along the Old Jackson Road section of the AT, this is southbound from Pinkham but by the compass its roughly north. You need to camp well off of the trail. There is also camping along the Great Gulf Trail but you need to hike in 1/4 of mile from the road (its well marked and I believe you have to be 200 feet off the trail. The south end of Imp trail also runs through open woods bur like any other spot in the area you have to hike in from the road about 1/4 of a mile to be legal.

For a developed campground nearby, Dolly Copp Campground is north of Pinkham Notch on RT 16. They have a variety of sites and allow campfires. If you have a group, they have a group tenting area called Barnes Field. Many folks like Barnes over Dolly Copp sites as its open grass versus gravel tent pads.

If you stay at a developed campsite, you will need wood which can be bought in Gorham NH north of Dolly Copp. DOnt bring any raw firewood from out of state, its is against the law. Some folks drive the length of Dolly Copp road looking for downed wood instead of buying it but its a hassle.

There are very fwe sites near the summit and Hermit Lake is where you are asking abaout on the Tuckermans side. You should have reservations to go there , as this wekend will be very crowded.
    On the northside of Washington there are several sites to consider, Craig Camp and Gray Knob cabins are about 6 miles away, the perch is a few miles closer, valley way tentsites are at the 6 mile range too!
    You could duck into the Dry River area and staelth camp below the treeline.

But the real key this weekend will be the weather and it does not look good. You will most likely be dealing with rain, fog and cool temps... ideal weather for the Scotich highlands but for views... not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    For a developed campground nearby, Dolly Copp Campground is north of Pinkham Notch on RT 16.
    The bridge to Dolly Copp on the RT 16 side is still out, you have to approch via the Pinkham B road from RT 2. This road is passable by car, but is mostly dirt, very bumpy and narrow.

Although legal if you follow the rules, camping off trail in the Northen Prezzies and Washingtion in perticular, isn't really that practical, due to the nature of the forest and slope of the land. A single person can get away with it if they really have to, but a group makes it very, very difficult, as they need more space and have a bigger impact. Please stay at one of the (few) offical camping sites in the area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++