WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current 100 Mile Wilderness Trail Conditions: Early October 2011

I hiked 600+ miles from Wingdale, NY to the 100MW this summer only to get very sick my first day out of Monson. Suffice it to say, I had to return home. I want to head up this weekend and complete a New England NOBO but am a little concerned about the trail conditions for several reasons. Any and all feedback would be very helpful in making a good decision; thanks in advance. -Rich

• Is the trail typically underwater this time of year?
    • Blowdown situation from Hurricane Irene?
    • How are the stream/brook/river fords currently?
    • Boots or running shoes?
    • Are moose a threat given I've heard it's mating season? (I feel like a goof even asking this)
    • Is the old man at WH Landing even grumpier in the fall? (kidding)
    • What are my chances of a clear summit day on Katahdin? Anything like Washington? (girlfriend will be driving up to hike with)

I was there about a week ago, and the trail conditions were fine. Minimal blowdowns, standard Maine wetness (ya might want gaiters), fords were sometimes a little high but all passable. Whitehouse landing may be closed for the year, the folks there (who were super nice) seemed about ready to head to Florida, might wanna call and check if you're counting on the resupply there. Chances of a nice day on Katahdin? 1 in 7 maybe?

Since you already hiked most of Maine, you know how mucky the trail in Maine can get. Its not going to be any different in the 100MW. I'd wear gotex lined boots and gaiters, but I seem to be in the minority on that gear choice.

River fords have been running pretty high, but it hasn't rained a whole lot lately, so thier probably coming down to more reasonable levels.

The weather has been pretty darn nice lately, but that can change quickly this time of year. You've only a couple of weeks left before the park "closes", so get cranking! Plan on waiting out the weather for a couple of days if you have to - and you might be required to by the Rangers if it gets too nasty.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

thanks for your help; hike was a great success and summited on a beautiful day!

++ New Posts ++