WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    can i just be a hiker? sometimes i wear a backpack, i guess then i'm a backpacker. no matter what (and i'm stealing this) its just walking. its what i like to do. i'm not a very competitive person, its one of the things that drew me to backpacking. just me, and a trail. these days its become a olympic event it seems.
    I've managed to get in about 400 miles (haven't even added them up yet) since my Florida Trail hiking season began around Thanksgiving.

And that's just what it was.....walking.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I've managed to get in about 400 miles (haven't even added them up yet) since my Florida Trail hiking season began around Thanksgiving.

And that's just what it was.....walking.
    And to make it better, most all of it has been in loops and yo-yo's without ever getting out of South Florida.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    And to make it better, most all of it has been in loops and yo-yo's without ever getting out of South Florida.

Seriously, I commend your efforts to "just hiking" the AT has a lot of pressure on it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Seriously, I commend your efforts to "just hiking" the AT has a lot of pressure on it in my opinion.
    Only if someone chooses to hike that way.

I truly don't think I was even pressured on my thru-hike. I desired to finish but there was no outside pressure from family or friends or any other source.

Probably why I finished in the snow on Katahdin.

Nice, Socks.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I'm OK with the classifications. I had hiked on or around the AT for a decade and a half before I thought of it as anything other than a crazy long trail that happened to run through my favorite mountains.

Then at some point I declared (to myself) an intent to hike the whole thing and things changed. There was a thru hike that fizzled, then years away from the trail, and then several more years of plotting and scheming to finish it. To me, "section hiker" conveys an intention and a certain seriousness or consistency in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ... %$^#*@! ...
    I agree with you 4eyedbuzzard, but I don't use language like that. :-)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++