WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default What is a Section Hike?

There have many many "discussions" about what a thru-hike is on these forums. Not much on the often used term of "section hike".

According to the ATC web site:
    "A section-hiker completes the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years."
    A Glossary of Trail Terms from an old Thru-Hikers Handbook reads:
    "Section Hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000-Miler by doing a series of section hikes over a period of time"
    These definitions seem simple enough. If you are attempting to complete the entire Appalachian Trail over a series of hikes you are a Section Hiker.

So why do so many refer to every hike on the trail as a section hike?

Is going out for a weekend hike on the AT a section hike even when you have no intention to do the whole trail in your life time?

I've hiked the trail from Connecticut to the Vermont state line at least six times from two day hikes to one week hikes. Are they all section hikes? Are all the hikes on the AT I've done on parts I've already thru-hiked section hikes? Some people hike certain parts of the trail many times because of closeness or favoritism, is every trip a section hike? Every trip to SMNP or SNP?

Does it matter? Yes it does. For all those that are planning and making the effort, or have actually finished their 2,000 miler they deserve the distinction of a title of Section Hiker. They are working toward or have earned their title of 2,000 miler.

Going out and enjoying a hike on the AT when ever you can is a great experience, but not every trip is a section hike. I've been in and out of the Grand Canyon three times, I don't call them section hikes.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Ive hiked over 1500 miles , and have completed maybe 60-70% of the "sections" between DWG and Katahdin.A complete thru hike has been a dream since 1976.im doing half the trail next year and following up in 2013 to finish it(if of course the world doesnt end in 2013.I never documented many of my the sections Ive hiked as to where and when over the years, so for me to be a "2000 miler", I wouldnt count the hiking I never actually documented. but all in all its really not anywhere near as important to me as the richness of the experiences ive had,. and the many people Ive met over the years.
    its a good question due to some of the current debates, but in the end it seems to me , it becomes a question of your effort being officially recognized, which for me, holds no importance.
    Im in it for the money.

so if a person hikes 50 miles with the intent of sometime in the future hiking the whole trail someday they are a section hiker. But if they hike the same 50 miles but don't intend to hike the whole trail someday, they are something else (do we have a name for that?).

It's kind of like the difference between first and second degree murder - premeditated intent or not. But to the poor schmo who got murdered, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I guess if your not intending to hike the whole trail, then your just a "hiker" or "weekend warror".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

im having an identity crisis.so if ive covered most of the northern half, some sections being nothing more than day hikes, others weekends, and still others 1-2 weeks, and I complet the trail in my lifetime by filling in the gaps and finisjh the southern half,, what am i?(alright, i know i need spell check, but what am i?)

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I think Section Hiker implies an intent, at least, to complete the entire trail. Otherwise you are a plain hiker.

Images

so if you completed 220 day hikes of 10 miles/day, covering every inch of the AT, and it took 20 years to complete, are you a section hiker, hiker, or poser?

Introducing a new term...Section Walker.

Images

I guess in the future I'll simply introduce myself at shelters as a person who is hiking the section from point A to point B on this particular hike with no idea how many miles I'll complete before the end of my days.

Images

It all starts with titles and definitions, next comes credentials, and then licenses, and commissions, and inspectors, and fees, and . . .
    Why can't everybody just walk without making such a big %$^#*@! deal about it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

That's why you need to come over to Facebook and the Section Hikers Group to air your feelings. The Only Wanderer is doing his section today, the width of the trail in Damascus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It all starts with titles and definitions, next comes credentials, and then licenses, and commissions, and inspectors, and fees, and . . .
    Why can't everybody just walk without making such a big %$^#*@! deal about it.
    I couldn't disagree more. Please sign up for Jaxhiker's Hiker Accreditation Symposium. At the end you will have an appropriate trail name and certificate authorizing you to properly identify yourself and hiker level while on the trail. Act soon! Seating is limited. For the month of October WB members can attend for the special price of $199. The first 10 to sign up at showmedahikinmoney.com will also receive a limited edition Ginsu portable ultralight kitchen with butler!

Sent from my Thunderbolt.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I think I got it figured out!

So if I go for a hike without a backpack with the intent of walking a 20 mile section of the AT in one continuous hike in one day, but without the intent of hiking the whole AT at any time in the foreseeable future, but wind up drinking too much at a trail town bar and sleeping it off for a couple of days in the bushes behind the baptist church, that makes me a thru-section-day-walking-stealth-camping-slack packer.

Images

Perhaps we should define a section hiker as someone hiking that is also tracking lifetime progress such that he would know if he finished the trail, regardless of how the odds of finishing are assessed at the current point in time. I consider myself to be a section hiker even though the end of my walking ability may be approaching faster than the end of the AT. If you are not keeping track of where you've been, you're not a section hiker, just a hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    That's why you need to come over to Facebook and the Section Hikers Group to air your feelings. The Only Wanderer is doing his section today, the width of the trail in Damascus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/
    If you post that enough it starts to smell....like spam.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    that makes me a thru-section-day-walking-stealth-camping-slack packer.
    Now THAT is funny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Now THAT is funny
    i think theres a badge for that.

Oh wow, I always thought a section hiker was a hiker hiking a section of the trail. Silly me.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i think theres a badge for that.
    It's a certificate. We don't need no stinkin badges.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

If you intend to thru-hike or section hike, and you don't finish, are their valuable parting gifts?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++