Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
Can I be a Section Hiker if the real reason I am there is to hike the trail in sections until I've completed all of it?

I think there should be a naming convention in place as it distinguishes the goal immediately for those hearing it....

Thru-Hiker: I want to do it all in one effort.
Section Hiker: I want to do it all by section.
Hiker: I'm just out here reflect on being out here and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
But what if I want to hike all of it except for GSMNP because I want to hike with my dog? Am I still a section hiker even though I don't want to hike the whole thing?

What if I want to do it all in one effort but I fail and have to go back to finish it up, am I still a thru hiker? How long can I wait to get back on the trail before I become a section hiker?

What If I am just out there for the fun of it enjoying myself and I accidentally finish the whole trail? Am I still a hiker?

How many zeros before a thru hiker becomes a section hiker or is it intent based? Then again if I intend to be a thru hiker and take a couple hundred zeros every time I stop hiking, am I still a thru, after all I intended on hiking the whole thing in one effort.

My point is I don't see why we need to attach names to folks. Let folks call themselves whatever they want.